    I would appreciate someone telling me how to advise her.

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Bill Dobbs, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Bill Dobbs

    Atreju Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:51:40 -0400, "Bill Dobbs"
    <bill_dobbs2000@REMOVE_THISyahoo.com> wrote:

    >My daughter in another state bought a new hard drive and an OEM version of
    >WinXP Home. She tells me that windows installed and will run, but will not
    >boot again, it asks for a system disk. I feel like she probably didn't
    >install it properly. I have installed an OEM version of Win XP Home a
    >couple times on new HD's and never experenced this problem.
    >
    >Her computer has an Athlon XP 1800+ processor with 512mb of DDR ram.
    >She has another version of Windows on another HD (power wire removed) and it
    >works when the power wire is connected. I had her move the jumper on the
    >new WD drive from CS to master, with the intention of her making the old HD
    >a slave after the new one is working properly. (If she did not put the
    >jumpers on right might it act this way?)
    >
    >I would appreciate someone telling me how to advise her.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bill

    You must first verify that the new Hard Drive is, in fact, not only on
    the right jumper, but also configured on the ribbon properly.
    It should be on the Primary controller channel, preferrably the last
    device on the IDE cable, which supports 2 devices. This is the best
    configuration.

    If WinXP is installed with this configuration, it should properly
    modify the MBR (Master Boot Record) when installing the OS, thereby
    making it the active OS.

    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Bill Dobbs

    ICee Guest

    Bill Dobbs wrote:
    > My daughter in another state bought a new hard drive and an OEM
    > version of WinXP Home. She tells me that windows installed and will
    > run, but will not boot again, it asks for a system disk. I feel like
    > she probably didn't install it properly. I have installed an OEM
    > version of Win XP Home a couple times on new HD's and never
    > experenced this problem.
    >
    > Her computer has an Athlon XP 1800+ processor with 512mb of DDR ram.
    > She has another version of Windows on another HD (power wire removed)
    > and it works when the power wire is connected. I had her move the
    > jumper on the new WD drive from CS to master, with the intention of
    > her making the old HD a slave after the new one is working properly.
    > (If she did not put the jumpers on right might it act this way?)
    >
    > I would appreciate someone telling me how to advise her.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    Western Digital hard drives must have the jumper removed if it is the
    only drive on a cable.
    ICee, Aug 17, 2004