    access the printer, I keep getting a message saying "searching.... make sure
    printer is turned on and check cables are connected". checked power and
    cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se. Any ideas please??

    John Davis, Feb 13, 2004

  2. John Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    LPT1 is generally the parallel port, not a serial port.
    Are you sure the printer is connected with the correct
    cables, to the correct port, and is the port enabled
    in the BIOS?

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:56:22 -0000, in
    <HZ9Xb.130$>
    John Davis scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 13, 2004

  3. John Davis

    Boomer Guest

    No. **** off.

    Boomer, Feb 13, 2004
  4. John Davis

    Sultan Guest

    John Davis wrote in news:HZ9Xb.130$:

    > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
    > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via
    > serial port LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok.
    > But when trying to access the printer, I keep getting a message saying
    > "searching.... make sure printer is turned on and check cables are
    > connected". checked power and cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se.
    > Any ideas please??

    Does it work on another pc? Bring it to a friends house if you don't have
    another pc. Try swapping the printer cable. Remove and reinstall the
    printer from your PC. Learn the difference between serial ports and
    parallel ports, they are different and your confusing them.
    Good luck

    Sultan

    Sultan, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Sometimes you need to tweak the BIOS settings to get those types of
    printers to work. If you've got an Intel/Phoenix BIOS, usually the
    default is "Bi-Directional", which I have had problems with. But
    regardless of what kind of BIOS you have, I have had the best luck with
    "EPP" as the parallel port type.

    @sch(athens)weiter.us without city, Feb 14, 2004