    access the printer, I keep getting a message saying "searching.... make sure
    printer is turned on and check cables are connected". checked power and
    cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se. Any ideas please??
    John Davis, Feb 3, 2004

  2. John Davis

    Bay0Wulf Guest

    "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    news:cOOTb.69$...
    > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
    > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial

    port
    > LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok. But when trying to
    > access the printer, I keep getting a message saying "searching.... make

    sure
    > printer is turned on and check cables are connected". checked power and
    > cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se. Any ideas please??

    My very first thought would be a bad cable. From a personal experience I
    chased a problem similar for two days when a friend suggested this.
    Surprise! it worked fine. If you have a different cable it will only take a
    minute. It will eliminate this possibility from the punch list of probables.

    Check also that your driver is up to date

    - Bay0Wulf
    Bay0Wulf, Feb 3, 2004

  3. John Davis

    Rifleman Guest

    "Bay0Wulf" <> wrote in message
    > "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
    > > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial

    > port
    > > LPT1.

    isn't the PARALLEL port LPT1?
    Rifleman, Feb 3, 2004
  4. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    Thanks for that.Tried another cable, still the same. Will look for an
    updated driver. Cheers

    John Davis, Feb 3, 2004
  5. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    Probably, sorry about that. Either way, still dont work. Doesnt seem to be
    reading the printer for some reason, on the LPT1 port.

    John Davis, Feb 3, 2004
  6. John Davis

    Ant Guest

    Have you followed the correct procedure for installation? Usually with
    Epsons, you install the software, shut down, switch the printer on, reboot,
    the printer is detected, and then installed. Try deleting the software in
    Add/ Remove software, and start again. If the printer is not detected on
    reboot, you will know you have connection problems.

    Ant.

    Ant, Feb 3, 2004
  7. John Davis

    Patrick Guest

    John Davis wrote:
    > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
    > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via
    > serial port LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok.
    > But when trying to access the printer, I keep getting a message
    > saying "searching.... make sure printer is turned on and check cables
    > are connected". checked power and cables, all ok. Am using windows
    > 98se. Any ideas please??

    Plenty of documentation at this 'Epson' page;
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...28&prodoid=9935&category=Products&menuSpec=15

    if any problem with above link then use; http://tinyurl.com/3y3qj
    Patrick, Feb 3, 2004
  8. John Davis

    Plato Guest

    John Davis wrote:

    > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
    > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial port
    > LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok. But when trying to

    lpt is a parallel port [aka Local Parallel Port ie LPT], check that your
    settings are correct. Check the printer properties and make sure its set
    to print NOT to a serial port but to your parallel port.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 3, 2004
  9. John Davis

    Plato Guest

    John Davis wrote:

    Did you install accd. to the docs? Or just plug it in and hope for the
    best?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 3, 2004