    I haven't tried to install v8 on the XP Pro side of this computer yet. I
    really like PD. Is there any reason to think that XP 64 bit is no longer
    supported a la iTunes?
    Dennis Gordon, Sep 26, 2006

  2. I successfully installed v8 on the XP side of this computer, so the problem
    appears to be with the inability to remove the previous version. I'm
    awaiting a reply from their tech support...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 26, 2006

  3. Continuing talking to myself...

    I found this KB:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315346

    I'll give it a try...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Dennis Gordon

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    I've installed PD8 on XP x64 and works fine.

    Try going into the task list and locate the PD7 Agent and PD7 Engine
    services. Then stop and disable them both with services.msc. Then try to
    uninstall PD7. The PD7 uninstall should stop the services for you, so
    I'm not sure what happened.

    jabloomf1230, Sep 27, 2006
  5. Dennis Gordon

    Gene Guest

    > Continuing talking to myself...

    Dennis, I enjoyed your conversation with yourself! Thanks for the follow-up.

    Regards,
    Gene

    Gene, Sep 27, 2006
  6. I couldn't find either of those in the Process List. I did find another PD
    process and stopped it. No luck. I tried the 2 methods mentioned in the
    Microsoft article (re-registering and re-installing msiexec.exe) with no
    luck, although I may be not following directions carefully. In the meantime
    I have v8 installed on the x86 side and will continue using v7 while in 64
    bit, which is 99% of the time. The new Perfect Disk is very cool BTW...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 27, 2006
  7. Here I go talkin' to myself again.

    I've failed miserably in every attempt to resurrect the Windows Installer.
    Can I perform a Repair Installation? I need to fix this since it will affect
    any future installs or uninstalls...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 27, 2006
  8. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    If you need to install the latest version of Windows Installer, you can
    download and install it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&DisplayLang=en
    If you are referring to a 'windows installer' as in the installer trail of a
    specific installation, there is an installer maintenance or repair program
    you can download to get rid of the remnants of a bad install.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    John Barnes, Sep 28, 2006
  9. Hmmm, that link went to a page for 98 and ME. The installer for 64 bit is
    buried somewhere near there, but it's not considered a "redistributable" so
    it was tough to find. I did find it a coupla days ago, but then lost it when
    I tried a system restore (why does system restore eliminate recent
    downloads? To remove possible virii?). Anyways, running the 3.1 installer
    didn't fix the problem. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here,
    but I've tried re-registering msiexec.exe in both \system32 and \syswow64;
    renamed then reinstalled; and renamed the msi.dll, mshnd.dll and msiexec.exe
    files and replaced them with the expanded files from the XP 64bit CD. Still
    get the same error. At this point a may try a Repair install, although I'm
    always a little wary of that...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 28, 2006
  10. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry. The best link should be
    http://blogs.msdn.com//windows_installer_team/archive/2005/08/05/448386.aspx
    Did you need or read about the installer cleanup utility

    John Barnes, Sep 28, 2006
  11. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    BTW I still have never had a Repair install that didn't cause multiple
    problems, up to and including several that made the operating system
    inoperable. That is my last choice now. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Sep 28, 2006
  12. Dennis Gordon

    Guest

    The Windows Installer 3.1 for x64 can be found
    at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898715

    Dennis Gordon wrote:
    > Hmmm, that link went to a page for 98 and ME. The installer for 64 bit is
    > buried somewhere near there, but it's not considered a "redistributable" so
    > it was tough to find. I did find it a coupla days ago, but then lost it when
    > I tried a system restore (why does system restore eliminate recent
    > downloads? To remove possible virii?). Anyways, running the 3.1 installer
    > didn't fix the problem. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here,
    > but I've tried re-registering msiexec.exe in both \system32 and \syswow64;
    > renamed then reinstalled; and renamed the msi.dll, mshnd.dll and msiexec.exe
    > files and replaced them with the expanded files from the XP 64bit CD. Still
    > get the same error. At this point a may try a Repair install, although I'm
    > always a little wary of that...
    >

    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    >> If you need to install the latest version of Windows Installer, you can
    >> download and install it.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&DisplayLang=en
    >> If you are referring to a 'windows installer' as in the installer trail of
    >> a specific installation, there is an installer maintenance or repair
    >> program you can download to get rid of the remnants of a bad install.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    >>

    >> "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> Here I go talkin' to myself again.
    >>>
    >>> I've failed miserably in every attempt to resurrect the Windows
    >>> Installer. Can I perform a Repair Installation? I need to fix this since
    >>> it will affect any future installs or uninstalls...

    , Sep 28, 2006
  13. Thanks. I downloaded it again and ran it. No dice. This is weird. Everything
    is running well on my machine, but with a bum installer I see trouble down
    the line. I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting these problems.

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 28, 2006
  14. Just finished the Repair install and it's fixed. Now I've got to reinstall
    all the updates.

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 28, 2006