    each of the 3 disks in turn to no avail. So what is it I'm looking for
    here? How do I install Office 2000 on this system?

    Thanks in advance for any consideration you might offer.
    JustMe, May 23, 2005

  2. JustMe

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Not sure, but why install Office97 then upgrade?
    You only need to install from O2k and insert 97 when it complains about
    cannot find qualifying product.

    MrGrumpy, May 23, 2005

  3. JustMe

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Chances are you don't need it. If you click next on the message and then
    when it does not find the file it is looking for it will name that file. Do
    a search on the HD for that file and point the installer to the location.

    pcbutts1, May 23, 2005
  4. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    "MrGrumpy" <> wrote in message
    > Not sure, but why install Office97 then upgrade?
    > You only need to install from O2k and insert 97 when it complains about
    > cannot find qualifying product.

    Didn't know that. I'll try it next time. Does that work wit an OS as well?

    JustMe, May 24, 2005
  5. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Chances are you don't need it. If you click next on the message and then
    > when it does not find the file it is looking for it will name that file.
    > Do a search on the HD for that file and point the installer to the
    > location.

    Any click immediately reverses the process.

    JustMe, May 24, 2005
  6. JustMe

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Be more specific. Only a cancel during install of Office will cause it to
    back out, not if it cannot find a file. What is the exact error message.

    pcbutts1, May 24, 2005
  7. JustMe

    Sultan Guest

    "JustMe" <> wrote in

    > I have a new system with WinXP Home sp2 pre-installed and a
    > manufacturers DVD with rebuild routine. The system appears to work
    > satisfactorily but, I have an installation problem with MS Office
    > Premium.
    >
    > I installed MS Office 97 (Full Boxed Copy). I then installed MSOffice
    > 2000 (Upgrade Boxed Copy). During that installation I get a popup
    > declaring "Insert Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 CD". That's where the
    > problem starts. I don't have an XP Pro disk for this WS. I have a
    > rebuild for XP Home sp2. I do have an sp2 disk for XP and I do have an
    > XP Pro sp2 installation disk for another system. I tried feeding it
    > each of the 3 disks in turn to no avail. So what is it I'm looking for
    > here? How do I install Office 2000 on this system?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any consideration you might offer.

    You are running XP HOME but get asked for XP PRO SP2? When installing
    Office? I think not.

    You don't need to install 97 first in any case so uninstall it and only
    insert the disk when/if the Office 2K asks for it. I've installed Office
    2K on over 200 pc's and have never been asked for an SP2 disk - hell
    there was no SP2 for XP out when Office 2K was released so unless you
    have the Nostradamus edition what you are experiencing is drug induced.
    I'm kidding. But you are confused or have very bad eye sight. Kidding
    again. I'm in a mood tonight I guess.

    --

    Sultan
    Sultan, May 24, 2005
  8. JustMe

    MrGrumpy Guest

    It works with most if not all upgrade cd's

    MrGrumpy, May 24, 2005
  9. JustMe

    haforum Guest

    FIXED!
    I had EXACTLY the same problem and did the same process to try an
    resolve it, but had no lock. SP2 CD, XPSP2, original Recovery CD etc..

    (I only came by this forum hoping for a fix to my problem, so now
    have a solution, I thought I'd share it with the rest of you).

    SOLUTION:
    To cut a long story short, here is how I fixed my problem:
    (re)install SP2 from the standalone SP2 CD, reboot and then instal
    Office 2000. BLING!

    - of course this means if you use your recovery CD, then you will hav
    to do through the whole process again to install Office2k (or othe
    programs that do the same thing).

    BACKGROUND:
    This could possibly be the issue (but I don't really know, but it make
    sense), but the registry fix that I received from the pc vendor did no
    work (the registry fix changes the setup location from C:\ t
    C:\Windows\System32\ServicePackFiles (or similar)).

    When XPSP2 was originally installed onto the PC, the install (setup
    files location are pointing to C:\ (so the registry entry for setup i
    set to C:\, but the ServicePackFiles are in actually locate
    C:\Windows\System32\ServicePackFiles or similar location.)

    When Office2K tries to install and overrides files with an olde
    version of files that XP uses, XP automatically tries to replace thos
    files with the newer version and asks for the installation/setup C
    (which is SP2 pointing to C:\, but in this case it doesn't allow th
    user to 'Browse', just a OK or cancel which rolls back the Office2
    installation).

    So in installing SP2 again, the setup location is updated with th
    correct setting, thus when XP asks for the CD when doing a Office2
    install, it now knows the location of the needed files (which is wher
    the new SP2 location is at).

    true or not, it's fixed my problem. I'm a happy chappy!

    Good Luck

    --
    haforu
    haforum's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1330
    haforum, Jun 3, 2005
  10. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    haforum wrote:
    > FIXED!
    > I had EXACTLY the same problem and did the same process to try and
    > resolve it, but had no lock. SP2 CD, XPSP2, original Recovery CD etc..
    >
    > (I only came by this forum hoping for a fix to my problem, so now I
    > have a solution, I thought I'd share it with the rest of you).
    >
    > SOLUTION:
    > To cut a long story short, here is how I fixed my problem:
    > (re)install SP2 from the standalone SP2 CD, reboot and then install
    > Office 2000. BLING!

    Oh, thanks haforum. I'd have never found that in a million yeard.
    That's some good work.
    JustMe, Jun 4, 2005