    it's still happening.

    Any ideas?

    , Jan 9, 2006

  2. Krazy Bob Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've swapped the DVD writer in my computer from a Pioneer 107D to a
    > Pioneer A07 (essentially the same except the latter is the retail
    > version instead of OEM - my 107 died).
    >
    > However although the drive is accessible and works fine, XP keeps
    > coming up with the Add new Hardware wizard prompting me to install
    > drivers for it! I've never had to do this before (and I've installed
    > several of these for other people), and there don't seem to be any
    > separate drivers available.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I have AnyDVD installed, which is a
    > region-killer that runs in the background, but I shut this down and
    > it's still happening.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    have you searched on MS support website?

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 9, 2006

  3. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've swapped the DVD writer in my computer from a Pioneer 107D to a
    > Pioneer A07 (essentially the same except the latter is the retail
    > version instead of OEM - my 107 died).
    >
    > However although the drive is accessible and works fine, XP keeps
    > coming up with the Add new Hardware wizard prompting me to install
    > drivers for it! I've never had to do this before (and I've installed
    > several of these for other people), and there don't seem to be any
    > separate drivers available.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I have AnyDVD installed, which is a
    > region-killer that runs in the background, but I shut this down and
    > it's still happening.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Delete the drive from Device Manager (Control Panel/System), reboot, and see
    if that fixes it.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    PC wrote:
    > Delete the drive from Device Manager (Control Panel/System), reboot, and see
    > if that fixes it

    Yeah I tried that. It just picks it up again and ends up with the same
    problem.

    , Jan 9, 2006
  5. steve Guest

    wrote:

    > I've swapped the DVD writer in my computer from a Pioneer 107D to a
    > Pioneer A07 (essentially the same except the latter is the retail
    > version instead of OEM - my 107 died).
    >
    > However although the drive is accessible and works fine, XP keeps
    > coming up with the Add new Hardware wizard prompting me to install
    > drivers for it! I've never had to do this before (and I've installed
    > several of these for other people), and there don't seem to be any
    > separate drivers available.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I have AnyDVD installed, which is a
    > region-killer that runs in the background, but I shut this down and
    > it's still happening.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    How did you install it?

    I would have:

    1. Removed the old drive.
    2. Rebooted and then shut down
    3. Installed the new drive
    4. Rebooted.

    That let's Windows sort itself out.....otherwise it can get terribly
    confusalated.

    ..

    steve, Jan 9, 2006
  6. ardz Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've swapped the DVD writer in my computer from a Pioneer 107D to a
    >> Pioneer A07 (essentially the same except the latter is the retail
    >> version instead of OEM - my 107 died).
    >>
    >> However although the drive is accessible and works fine, XP keeps
    >> coming up with the Add new Hardware wizard prompting me to install
    >> drivers for it! I've never had to do this before (and I've installed
    >> several of these for other people), and there don't seem to be any
    >> separate drivers available.
    >>
    >> I thought it might be because I have AnyDVD installed, which is a
    >> region-killer that runs in the background, but I shut this down and
    >> it's still happening.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > How did you install it?
    >
    > I would have:
    >
    > 1. Removed the old drive.
    > 2. Rebooted and then shut down
    > 3. Installed the new drive
    > 4. Rebooted.
    >
    > That let's Windows sort itself out.....otherwise it can get terribly
    > confusalated.

    Try reinstalling the old drive then doing as per Steves post.

    ardz, Jan 10, 2006
  7. Guest

    ardz wrote:
    > Try reinstalling the old drive then doing as per Steves post.

    Yeah I'll give that a go. Though I did start the PC after removing the
    new drive, hoping XP would see that the drives have gone and reset
    itself, but once I put the new drive back in it came back with the same
    problem.

    Why would XP prompt for drivers to be installed though? It recognises
    the new hardware as a 'Pioneer 107D DVD Writer', and DVD writers never
    need external drivers do they?

    , Jan 10, 2006