Problem installing Nero 6 Demo

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Edgar Davies, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    I downloaded Nero 6 Demo and seemingly installed it successfully (via
    file nero6316.exe).

    When I rebooted, as told to, I got a blue XP screen that told me that
    a problem had been detected and Windows was being shut down to prevent
    damage.

    On rebooting, the system went through a scan of the hard drive, and
    Windows loaded properly - but telling me that my system had recovered
    from a serious error.

    When I tried to run Nero 6 the system crashed and I got back to the
    blue XP screen.

    I have uninstalled Nero 6 Demo and things seem to be normal.

    My question is this. What kind of cause is there for the error am I
    getting? A search with Google doesn't discover the problem for me, but
    I may have been using the wrong keywords.

    Otherwise my system has been performing properly for months.

    Edgar Davies, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Edgar Davies

    Plato Guest

    Edgar Davies wrote:

    > I downloaded Nero 6 Demo and seemingly installed it successfully (via
    > file nero6316.exe).
    >
    > When I rebooted, as told to, I got a blue XP screen that told me that
    > a problem had been detected and Windows was being shut down to prevent
    > damage.

    Did you install it accd. to the docs? ie shut off all running
    backgrounds apps including your internet. OR, did you just click on the
    file and cross your fingers and hope for the best?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Edgar Davies

    °Mike° Guest

    Where did you download it from? It may be a corrupt
    download. Try re-downloading it direct from Nero:
    ftp://ftp2.nero.com/Nero6316.exe

    Clean out your system and close ALL applications
    before installing the new download.

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:48:31 +1000, in
    <>
    Edgar Davies scrawled:

    >I downloaded Nero 6 Demo and seemingly installed it successfully (via
    >file nero6316.exe).
    >
    >When I rebooted, as told to, I got a blue XP screen that told me that
    >a problem had been detected and Windows was being shut down to prevent
    >damage.
    >
    >On rebooting, the system went through a scan of the hard drive, and
    >Windows loaded properly - but telling me that my system had recovered
    >from a serious error.
    >
    >When I tried to run Nero 6 the system crashed and I got back to the
    >blue XP screen.
    >
    >I have uninstalled Nero 6 Demo and things seem to be normal.
    >
    >My question is this. What kind of cause is there for the error am I
    >getting? A search with Google doesn't discover the problem for me, but
    >I may have been using the wrong keywords.
    >
    >Otherwise my system has been performing properly for months.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    Yes, no background apps running during installation.

    Edgar Davies, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    Thanks.

    I did download it from Nero. And I also downloaded another version
    from a different server. But no luck with installation.

    No applications were running.

    I'll have a good look at your suggested maintenance link.

    Edgar Davies, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Edgar Davies

    Koestler, A Guest

    Edgar Davies wrote:
    > I downloaded Nero 6 Demo and seemingly installed it successfully (via
    > file nero6316.exe).
    >
    > When I rebooted, as told to, I got a blue XP screen that told me that
    > a problem had been detected and Windows was being shut down to prevent
    > damage.
    >
    > On rebooting, the system went through a scan of the hard drive, and
    > Windows loaded properly - but telling me that my system had recovered
    > from a serious error.
    >
    > When I tried to run Nero 6 the system crashed and I got back to the
    > blue XP screen.
    >
    > I have uninstalled Nero 6 Demo and things seem to be normal.
    >
    > My question is this. What kind of cause is there for the error am I
    > getting? A search with Google doesn't discover the problem for me, but
    > I may have been using the wrong keywords.
    >
    > Otherwise my system has been performing properly for months.

    At the bottom of the blue screen there may be a reference to a file. If
    so, this is the pointer to the problem. Looks like a clash between
    applications, one being part of Nero 6. If you identify the other
    application from the file reference, you can work out where to go from
    there. Bet you have more than one CD/DVD-related application running.

    Koestler, A, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    OK, I think you are on to something.

    There is a file mentioned on the blue screen - it is InCDfs.sys.

    One thing of possible relevance is that I originally was using a
    bundled version of Nero Express 5.5 that had InCD version 3.39. But I
    uninstalled these before trying to install Nero 6 Demo.

    What I noticed with Windows Explorer is that there was considerable
    debris left over from that uninstall.

    I went into Windows safe mode and deleted everything to do with Nero,
    then ran Registry First Aid to correct errors there.

    But the identical problem remains when I try to run Nero 6 Demo after
    reinstalling it.

    At this stage I don't want to risk making my system inoperable so am
    doing nothing until I get advice from Nero. I can't be the first
    person with this problem.

    What is the system for requesting help from Nero? I can't use their
    help screen to find out contacts because I can't run the software!

    Edgar Davies, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Edgar Davies

    Koestler, A Guest

    Edgar Davies wrote:
    > OK, I think you are on to something.
    >
    > There is a file mentioned on the blue screen - it is InCDfs.sys.
    >
    > One thing of possible relevance is that I originally was using a
    > bundled version of Nero Express 5.5 that had InCD version 3.39. But I
    > uninstalled these before trying to install Nero 6 Demo.
    >
    > What I noticed with Windows Explorer is that there was considerable
    > debris left over from that uninstall.
    >
    > I went into Windows safe mode and deleted everything to do with Nero,
    > then ran Registry First Aid to correct errors there.
    >
    > But the identical problem remains when I try to run Nero 6 Demo after
    > reinstalling it.
    >
    > At this stage I don't want to risk making my system inoperable so am
    > doing nothing until I get advice from Nero. I can't be the first
    > person with this problem.
    >
    > What is the system for requesting help from Nero? I can't use their
    > help screen to find out contacts because I can't run the software!

    Big chance that InCDfs.sys is still there in your system files. If so, get
    rid of it. Restart your computer. Probably nothing wrong with Nero
    now. Probably never was. The other application's file was causing the
    problem, which the BSOD actually told you.

    Koestler, A, Apr 9, 2004
  9. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    I'm starting to feel as if I am some sort of troll!

    I did get rid of InCDfs.sys by temporarily changing its name and
    restarting.

    No difference.

    Edgar Davies, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Edgar Davies

    Koestler, A Guest

    "Edgar Davies" <> wrote in message
    > I'm starting to feel as if I am some sort of troll!
    >
    > I did get rid of InCDfs.sys by temporarily changing its name and
    > restarting.
    >
    > No difference.

    What do you mean, no difference?

    Same BSOD? Same file reference? Is so, it is telling you something.
    When you install Nero 6, InCD will be reinstalled. Since you had a
    previous version of Nero, and InCD, get rid of it and its system files.
    Are you sure you have removed any other CD/DVD applications? Check
    Start-Programs. Check Add/Remove Applications. Look through Windows
    Explorer. Use HighJackThis if you need to. Uninstall Nero 6 and
    reinstall when you think your computer has been freed of the junk.

    Nero 6 is a major install. It will go smoothly, but not if there is a
    clash of applications/system files. Do it carefully and it will be ok.
    Here is the Nero home page - http://tinyurl.com/2j4wo . Read what is said
    about installing Nero 6 and the upgrade carefully.

    Koestler, A, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    Yes, same BSOD and same file reference.

    I had already done some of the things you suggest. But I'll leave you
    alone for now (big thanks, BTW) and do some more.

    Edgar Davies, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    Problem finally solved after running "Registry First Aid" checking the
    registry for errors and correcting them. Then reinstalled Nero.

    I don't know which particular entry was erroneous because there were
    so many. But now it's Welcome to Nero - no BSOD.

    Thanks for all the advice.

    Edgar Davies, Apr 10, 2004
  13. Edgar Davies wrote:
    > Problem finally solved after running "Registry First Aid" checking the
    > registry for errors and correcting them. Then reinstalled Nero.
    >
    > I don't know which particular entry was erroneous because there were
    > so many. But now it's Welcome to Nero - no BSOD.
    >
    > Thanks for all the advice.

    Good stuff. Shows what perseverence and some thought can achieve.
    Arthur also sends his regards.

    Moll Flanders, Apr 10, 2004