    448mb ?

    Thanks

    , Jul 1, 2007

  2. Rick Blaine Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I have just installed two 512mb ram in my Sony Vaio laptop which
    > should now give me 1024mb ? My system information only shows 448mb.
    > When I boot up and go into the BIOS the 'Total Memory' is also only
    > 448mb ?

    > Thanks

    First reseat the modules to see if that fixes it. If not, install/run Belarc
    Advisor to see which slot/module is recognized. Then switch the modules and
    see what Belarc says. That will tell you if the slot or the module is bad.

    Rick Blaine, Jul 1, 2007

  3. why? Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 04:29:48 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have just installed two 512mb ram in my Sony Vaio laptop which

    You didn't say what type of memory you had before.

    Nor what type you bought.

    You firstly tried
    a) the manual
    b) www.crucial.com/uk/

    >should now give me 1024mb ? My system information only shows 448mb.
    >When I boot up and go into the BIOS the 'Total Memory' is also only
    >448mb ?

    448MB you mean.

    Check with the old memory in you get the correct amount.

    What about with only 1 new board in, you get 512MB maybe.

    >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Sony Vaio laptop means nothing, the Crucial list has 48 (models listed)
    entries for Sony Vaio. Include model information.

    Do it yourself,
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/

    Munge your email addy.
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm

    >Thanks

    Me

    why?, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Guest

    On 1 Jul, 12:54, "Rick Blaine" <rick@cafe> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,
    > > I have just installed two 512mb ram in my Sony Vaio laptop which
    > > should now give me 1024mb ? My system information only shows 448mb.
    > > When I boot up and go into the BIOS the 'Total Memory' is also only
    > > 448mb ?

    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    > > Thanks

    > First reseat the modules to see if that fixes it. If not, install/run Belarc
    > Advisor to see which slot/module is recognized. Then switch the modules and
    > see what Belarc says. That will tell you if the slot or the module is bad.

    Thanks Rick,

    i installed and ran Belarc and it is showing that there is only 256MB
    in each slot ?
    I bought the modules from ebuyer and they were the ones recommended
    for my Sony PCG-FR415S.
    The Sony website definitely says that my laptop can be upgraded to
    1024MB ?

    , Jul 1, 2007
  5. why? Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 06:41:14 -0700, wrote:

    >On 1 Jul, 12:54, "Rick Blaine" <rick@cafe> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi,
    >> > I have just installed two 512mb ram in my Sony Vaio laptop which
    >> > should now give me 1024mb ? My system information only shows 448mb.
    >> > When I boot up and go into the BIOS the 'Total Memory' is also only
    >> > 448mb ?

    >> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    >> > Thanks

    >> First reseat the modules to see if that fixes it. If not, install/run Belarc
    >> Advisor to see which slot/module is recognized. Then switch the modules and
    >> see what Belarc says. That will tell you if the slot or the module is bad.

    >Thanks Rick,
    >
    >i installed and ran Belarc and it is showing that there is only 256MB
    >in each slot ?

    It's showing 256MB or not?

    Could be a density / bank issue.

    >I bought the modules from ebuyer and they were the ones recommended

    You missed the ebuyer quick ref number.

    >for my Sony PCG-FR415S.

    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO PCG-FR415S
    Number of Slots:
    Slot 1
    Slot 2
    Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*
    *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
    # Maximum Memory: 1024MB
    # USB Support: 2.x Compliant
    # Standard Memory: 256 or 512MB removable
    # Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

    DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V •
    64Meg x 64 for 512MB ot 32MB x 63 for 256MB

    Try the crucial system scan, with the original memory in.

    >The Sony website definitely says that my laptop can be upgraded to
    >1024MB ?

    Well does it or doesn't it?

    why?, Jul 1, 2007
  6. burris Guest

    wrote:
    > On 1 Jul, 12:54, "Rick Blaine" <rick@cafe> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have just installed two 512mb ram in my Sony Vaio laptop which
    >>> should now give me 1024mb ? My system information only shows 448mb.
    >>> When I boot up and go into the BIOS the 'Total Memory' is also only
    >>> 448mb ?
    >>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >>> Thanks

    >> First reseat the modules to see if that fixes it. If not, install/run Belarc
    >> Advisor to see which slot/module is recognized. Then switch the modules and
    >> see what Belarc says. That will tell you if the slot or the module is bad.

    > Thanks Rick,
    >
    > i installed and ran Belarc and it is showing that there is only 256MB
    > in each slot ?
    > I bought the modules from ebuyer and they were the ones recommended
    > for my Sony PCG-FR415S.
    > The Sony website definitely says that my laptop can be upgraded to
    > 1024MB ?

    You may find, as I did, that if the speed of the new memory is higher
    than your BIOS can accept, this may happen. The memory makers will tell
    you that the stick has a step-down feature and it very well may, but if
    your BIOS/Motherboard won't accept it, you will experience exactly what
    you see.

    Depending on the type of BIOS you have, you may be able to see its speed
    choices in the BIOS set up screen, and if your memory speed is faster
    than what choices you see, this is what will happen.

    Good Luck....

    burris, Jul 1, 2007
  7. Rick Blaine Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On 1 Jul, 12:54, "Rick Blaine" <rick@cafe> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi,
    >> > I have just installed two 512mb ram in my Sony Vaio laptop which
    >> > should now give me 1024mb ? My system information only shows 448mb.
    >> > When I boot up and go into the BIOS the 'Total Memory' is also only
    >> > 448mb ?

    >> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    >> > Thanks

    >> First reseat the modules to see if that fixes it. If not, install/run
    >> Belarc
    >> Advisor to see which slot/module is recognized. Then switch the modules
    >> and
    >> see what Belarc says. That will tell you if the slot or the module is
    >> bad.

    > Thanks Rick,
    >
    > i installed and ran Belarc and it is showing that there is only 256MB
    > in each slot ?
    > I bought the modules from ebuyer and they were the ones recommended
    > for my Sony PCG-FR415S.
    > The Sony website definitely says that my laptop can be upgraded to
    > 1024MB ?

    Like they tell student pilots-- "always trust your instruments." If Belarc
    says they're 256, there's a good chance they are. Maybe try logging onto the
    Crucial Memory website using IE and let it scan your computer. That will
    give you another reading on what you have.

    Are you sure the seller sent you 512 memory modules? If they sent you 256
    modules instead, that would explain what's going on.

    Rick

    Rick Blaine, Jul 1, 2007
  8. Guest

    On 1 Jul, 22:10, "Rick Blaine" <rick@cafe> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On 1 Jul, 12:54, "Rick Blaine" <rick@cafe> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> First reseat the modules to see if that fixes it. If not, install/run
    > >> Belarc
    > >> Advisor to see which slot/module is recognized. Then switch the modules
    > >> and
    > >> see what Belarc says. That will tell you if the slot or the module is
    > >> bad.

    > > Thanks Rick,

    > > i installed and ran Belarc and it is showing that there is only 256MB
    > > in each slot ?
    > > I bought the modules from ebuyer and they were the ones recommended
    > > for my Sony PCG-FR415S.
    > > The Sony website definitely says that my laptop can be upgraded to
    > > 1024MB ?

    > Like they tell student pilots-- "always trust your instruments." If Belarc
    > says they're 256, there's a good chance they are. Maybe try logging onto the
    > Crucial Memory website using IE and let it scan your computer. That will
    > give you another reading on what you have.
    >
    > Are you sure the seller sent you 512 memory modules? If they sent you 256
    > modules instead, that would explain what's going on.
    >
    > Rick

    I did the crucial memory scan and again it showed that I had 256mb in
    each slot. I have looked closely at the modules and they are
    definitely 512mb. They have 8 small black blocks on them, each marked
    as 64mb. I have contacted Ebuyer and they have offered to replace
    them, but I don't feel confident that that will solve the problem, I
    think it is more likely to be some kind of setting on my laptop which
    needs changing.

    , Jul 2, 2007