    Waited only to get a notice saying "Windows could not set up PrLex

    Any suggestions welcome.

    Noel

    Noel S Pamfree, Nov 9, 2007

  2. Noel S Pamfree

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:11:31 -0000, "Noel S Pamfree" <>
    wrote:

    >I am trying to install a Lexmark Z1480 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-02A,
    >which unfortunately runs under Windows Vista Home Premium.
    >
    >Having turned the printer on and made sure it is in wifi-mode I did the
    >following on the laptop:
    >
    >Start
    >Control Panel
    >Network and Sharing Center
    >Set up a connection or network
    >Option 4 - Create a computer to computer ad hock network
    >Called it PrLex
    >Security - selected No Authentication
    >Waited only to get a notice saying "Windows could not set up PrLex
    >
    >Any suggestions welcome.
    >
    >Noel

    Noel,

    You have several challenges here.
    1) You're setting up a computer running Windows Vista, as a printer client.
    2) You're setting up a computer running Windows Vista, as a peer-peer WiFi
    participant.
    3) You're doing both of the above, simultaneously.

    Is that the procedure specified in the printer setup instructions? Do they
    offer any diagnostics? Did you download the most current drivers for the
    printer, specifically labeled for Vista? Getting a printer to work for a Vista
    client is a challenge. Getting a printer to work using WiFi may be even more
    so. I'll offer you my Vista Networking tutorial.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP], Nov 9, 2007

  3. Noel S Pamfree

    anne watson Guest

    And I will add my two cents worth

    After setting it up Restart your laptop and unplug the printer wait 30
    seconds and plug it back in again.

    That is how I finially got a VISTA laptop to recognize my HP printer,
    Anne

    anne watson, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Noel S Pamfree

    Lem Guest

    Noel S Pamfree wrote:
    > I am trying to install a Lexmark Z1480 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-02A,
    > which unfortunately runs under Windows Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > Having turned the printer on and made sure it is in wifi-mode I did the
    > following on the laptop:
    >
    > Start
    > Control Panel
    > Network and Sharing Center
    > Set up a connection or network
    > Option 4 - Create a computer to computer ad hock network
    > Called it PrLex
    > Security - selected No Authentication
    > Waited only to get a notice saying "Windows could not set up PrLex
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome.
    >
    > Noel

    There's no mention here of actually *installing* the printer driver on
    your Toshiba.

    I couldn't find anything specific to the Z1480, but this page explains
    how to set up an ad hoc wireless network in Vista for the Z1420:
    http://tinyurl.com/34jx9m

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

    Lem, Nov 9, 2007