    and with win xp pro 64 bit OS installed. I am haveing problems installing
    32 bit programs. Some install just fine and others won't even start the
    installer. Anyone have any suggestions?

    Ryan, Feb 27, 2006

  2. There are two kinds of 32-bit programs that won't install - ones that use a
    system level driver, and ones that have a 16-bit component, usually the
    installation program itself. Let's look at each of them.

    System Level Drivers -- the most obvious examples of these kinds of programs
    are low level utilities such as Anti-Virus programs, disk maintenance
    programs, etc. But there are also some that you might not think of - many
    printers come with a required installation program to work, for example, and
    these often have issues. In most cases, if the printer is a full fledged
    printer and not one using "host based printing", you can find a reasonable
    workaround even if there isn't an existing exact driver. See my blog posts
    on printing for some ideas there. If your software uses a system level
    driver, there really isn't anything Microsoft can do - we're dependent on
    the software vendor to write a 64-bit driver. Several A-V companies have
    gone the route of writing a 64-bit driver for their real-time monitoring,
    while leaving the surrounding program (the user interface) as a 32-bit
    program. This sort of hybrid works well as a stepping stone to a full 64-bit
    migration, and can be produced in significantly less time than a full port
    in many cases.

    16-bit code -- this is primarily an issue with older programs that used a
    16-bit installation program. The underlying software is usually 32-bit, but
    you're out of luck because the installation won't run. Windows x64 Edition
    simply does not support 16-bit applications. Microsoft _did_ do some
    interesting tricks with some of the installers - they silently recognize
    that it's a 16-bit install program and substitute the 32-bit version of it
    in the background. Unfortunately, that isn't the case for everything by a
    long shot.

    So, what are your options? Well, the most obvious one is to choose hardware
    and programs that _do_ work and that are supported by their developers. But
    where that's not an option -- say with a custom 32-bit application that your
    business uses and that has an outdated installer -- consider running the
    application in a virtual machine. Virtual Server 2005 R2 runs on x64 and is
    inexpensive, and VMWare has both a reasonably priced Workstation 5.5 product
    and a currently free Server product that both support x64 for both host and
    guest OSs. These can give you a viable solution in many cases.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 27, 2006

  3. Ryan

    John Barnes Guest

    If any have 16-bit installers, they won't install. Some 32-bit programs
    have drivers and won't install. Others either won't install or partially
    install or won't work after installation. Unfortunately Microsoft hasn't
    seen fit to provide/require some indication of x64 compatibility, so XP all
    may or may not work on xp x64. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Feb 27, 2006
  4. Ryan

    Patrick Guest

    The "Some install just fine" maybe because they are using a 32
    installer...the ones that wont may be using the old 16bit.
    Need more info.

    Patrick, Feb 27, 2006
  5. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    how can you tell if the program is using a 16 bit installer or not? and is
    there any way to replace it with a 32 bit installer or cheat your way around
    it?

    Ryan, Feb 28, 2006
  6. The most common error message is something about "valid binary, but not for
    this processor type". Or something rather like that, I haven't seen it in a
    while and I forget.

    As for replacing it - only if you have access to the source.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 28, 2006
  7. Ryan

    John Barnes Guest

    Last year (early after RTP one of the posters (can't remember the name)
    posted a free program that solved this problem for a number of other
    posters.
    Andre is your hope since he seems to be able to find these old postings.

    John Barnes, Feb 28, 2006
  8. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    How do i get ahold of Andre

    Ryan, Mar 1, 2006
  9. Ryan

    John Barnes Guest

    You don't. Andre has been posting, so I guess he couldn't find the postings
    from last summer. Wish I could remember the poster, but hasn't come to me
    yet.

    John Barnes, Mar 1, 2006