Problem in running 32-bit VSEP Package on 64-bit OS platform.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Glancy, Jun 24, 2010.

  1. Glancy

    Glancy Guest

    Hello,

    I work on Visual Studio Extension Package for Visual Studio 2008.
    Our package adds capabilities to Visual Studio to create custom project
    using proprietary compilers.
    A project created under this product acts just like any other Visual Studio
    project.

    This package has been tested with Visual Studio 2008 on X86 based PCs and
    works fine on 32-bit OS versions like Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows
    7.
    Now when I test the same application on X64 PC with Windows 7 Ultimate
    64-bit OS, the process for this packge (devenv.exe) shows huge memory usage
    (Starting with 50MB, jumps to 1.4 GB), making the CPU hanging for several
    minutes.

    This seems like the package has some performance issue with Windows 64-bit
    OS platform.

    Would like to know whether I need to build my package with 64-bit OS before
    running it on 64-bit OS environment, or need to do any other platform support
    specific things in order to make my package compatible with 64-bit OS.

    One more thing to note here.
    On Windows 7 64-bit PC, the Visual Studio 2008 as well as my package are
    getting installed by default in the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)' instead
    'C:\Program Files'. The registry entries for these softwares are also shown
    under the key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node'.

    Does this have any impact?

    Appreciate any help.

    Thanks in advance.
    Glancy, Jun 24, 2010