    else can I do? I really like the browser.

    TIA
    Tom
    THOMAS E BLUM, Feb 17, 2005

  2. THOMAS E BLUM

    Rob Guest

    THOMAS E BLUM wrote:

    >Last week, my anti Virus, AVG, discovered a virus called "Java/openstream"
    >. The antivirus software couldn't "cure" it. The site had no information in
    >the virus database.
    >
    >I checked the location, it looked harmless, so I deleted it.
    >
    >Now Firefox can't go online. Starting the program results in a Windows
    >message "Firefox has encountered a problem and will be shut down" Or similar
    >wording.
    >
    >Uninstalling and reloading Firefox, with a new download, doesn't help. What
    >else can I do? I really like the browser.
    >
    >TIA
    >Tom

    If I.E works OK you could go to Trend Micro's website and use their
    House Call online virus checker. Last week it found a few Trojan's
    that slipped through my firewall and AV software. If I.E. won't work
    either, it could be in your Java Directory and it's attaching itself to
    any browser you run. HTH!
    Rob
    Rob, Feb 17, 2005

  3. I didn't mention that I.E. does work correctly (Isn't that a switch)

    Rob,
    I'm running the Trend Micro house call scan now.
    Tom
    THOMAS E BLUM, Feb 17, 2005
  4. THOMAS E BLUM

    Roland Guest

    On 17-2-2005 13:24, THOMAS E BLUM wrote:

    > Last week, my anti Virus, AVG, discovered a virus called "Java/openstream"
    > . The antivirus software couldn't "cure" it. The site had no information in
    > the virus database.
    >
    > I checked the location, it looked harmless, so I deleted it.
    >
    > Now Firefox can't go online. Starting the program results in a Windows
    > message "Firefox has encountered a problem and will be shut down" Or similar
    > wording.
    >
    > Uninstalling and reloading Firefox, with a new download, doesn't help. What
    > else can I do? I really like the browser.
    >
    > TIA
    > Tom

    Try running Firefox in safe mode: in Windows there should be a menu item
    Start -> Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode),
    otherwise use option -safe-mode when starting from commandline, e.g.
    firefox -safe-mode
    In safe-mode, all extensions and themes are disabled, so it should rule
    out if the extensions/themes cause the problem.

    It also could be possible that AVG (or even the virus) has corrupted
    something of the Java plugin in FF.

    Another question: you don't happen to have a user agent switcher
    extension in Firefox, or changed the useragent string of FF yourself?
    The Java plugin may cause crashes if the useragent string is not set to
    the default (see section Known Issues of
    <http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html>).

    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter