    the sound in sync with the picture.
    I'm rending the video as a mpeg suitable for PAL DVD.

    Regards Brian
    Brian, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Sounds like dropped video frames to me. Are you positive the sound/video are
    in synch on the source?

    Are you trying to convert an NTSC video to PAL? If so, have a look here:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=4;41#4;41

    Colon Terminus, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Brian

    Laserdogg Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to keep sound in sync by using TMPGEnc to try and render a
    > mpeg to keep the sound in sync.
    > The problem is that at the start of the 80 minute video clip the sound
    > is in sync but at the end of the video clip the sound is out of sync
    > by about 2 seconds. The sound is lagging behind the picture.
    >
    > Are there any options in TMPGEnc that will help keep the sound in sync
    > with the picture?
    > Is there another program I can use to re-render the mpeg file to keep
    > the sound in sync with the picture.
    > I'm rending the video as a mpeg suitable for PAL DVD.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    I found that saving the audio out to a separate file (wav) first using
    VirtualDub (if I remember right) and then Tempgnc worked pretty well.

    Laserdogg
    LD\DVD Collection
    www.dvdtracker.com/~laserdogg
    Laserdogg, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Brian

    Brian Guest

    The original video source are out of sync, that's why I'm using
    TMPGEnc to try and get the sound in sync with the picture.
    I'm not certain if the original is in NTSC, I'll check.
    Thanks for the web site links.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks Laserdogg,
    I've never tried working with
    seperate audio files, but worth a try.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Brian

    Mike T Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > The original video source are out of sync, that's why I'm using
    > TMPGEnc to try and get the sound in sync with the picture.
    > I'm not certain if the original is in NTSC, I'll check.
    > Thanks for the web site links.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    If the sound is off by the same amount through the file, then you just need
    to change a sound start delay setting, if this is mpeg then use TMPGenc, I
    think there is a sound offset setting in advanced-source range setting, if
    the file is avi, then use Virtual Dub and it has a sound start setting. Use
    positive or negative numbers depending on which way the sound need
    correction, try experimenting it's cheap.

    If the sound delay changes as the file plays, then the sound is to long or
    short. You will need to de-mux the sound file and use a sound editing
    program like Sound Forge to change the length of the sound file and then
    multiplex it back with the video, usually very time consuming to get it
    right. Check in the "guides" here- http://www.doom9.org and also at this
    site-
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com for more info on audio-video sync issues.

    Mike T
    Mike T, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks Mike and others for your help.

    I don't have the orginal video, only an mpeg of it.
    The original sound is of the mpeg file is out of sync.
    If I render a few minutes of the video using TMPGEnc then the sound is
    in sync.
    If I use TMPGEnc to render the whole video which is 80 minutes long
    then near the end the sound is out of sync.

    I'll consider chahging the length of the sound.
    The other option of thought of was to split up the video and render
    short parts of video then have all the short video'st play
    continously. I'm not certain if it's possible to join up the video's
    without having to re-render the video again.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Brian

    Sean McLean Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Brian wrote:

    > Thanks Mike and others for your help.
    >
    > I don't have the orginal video, only an mpeg of it.
    > The original sound is of the mpeg file is out of sync.
    > If I render a few minutes of the video using TMPGEnc then the sound is
    > in sync.
    > If I use TMPGEnc to render the whole video which is 80 minutes long
    > then near the end the sound is out of sync.
    >
    > I'll consider chahging the length of the sound.
    > The other option of thought of was to split up the video and render
    > short parts of video then have all the short video'st play
    > continously. I'm not certain if it's possible to join up the video's
    > without having to re-render the video again.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    If you have the individual segments rendered in the same format of MPEG,
    then you can use TMPEG's "Merge and Cut" feature to join them back
    together again as one big file. Doing it this way only takes a couple
    of minutes to re-attach all the files together. This is what I used to
    use to make VCDs before I got a program that let me use individual files
    rather than having to put them all together as one big 80 minute file.
    Because all the files are already in the same format, TMPEG doesn't have
    to re-convert anything, it's just putting them all together. Great little
    feature! You DO, however, have to re-render the files when you correct
    the sound. The Audio Gap correct feature is also really simple to use,
    just take a bit of trial and error to figure out which way (+ or -)
    it's off, then figuring out how MUCH it's off... (Oh, and in case you're
    wondering what program I use to make VCDs NOW, it's Ulead DVD Movie
    Factory - super easy to use, and lets you put together really snazzy
    looking discs with menus and everything - but I wouldn't be anywhere
    without my beloved TMPEG!)

    - Sean
    Sean McLean, Feb 3, 2004