    Here is a sample raw file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq

    kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2012

  2. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2012

  3. sobriquet

    Ron Guest

    "sobriquet" wrote in message
    news:16844389.433.1329000571800.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynbq20...

    According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:

    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

    However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
    extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file
    in a different format.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    Have your tried using Canon's software to convert the RAW file to a TIFF and
    then import the TIFF into PS?

    Ron
    ++++++++++++++++++++++

    Ron, Feb 11, 2012
  4. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:03:20 UTC+1 schreef Ron het volgende:
    > "sobriquet" wrote in message
    >

    > According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
    >
    > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
    >
    > However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
    > extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file
    > in a different format.
    >
    > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++
    > Have your tried using Canon's software to convert the RAW file to a TIFF and
    > then import the TIFF into PS?
    >
    > Ron
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++

    Nope, but I very much doubt it will work.
    It seems that the raw file produced by CHDK is about as raw as it gets (unlike the raw file produced by the camera when using the standard firmware). So it's just a dump of sensor data without any header that specifies the resolution and things like that.

    I guess the next time I have to ensure using the DNG raw format in the CHDKoptions (which is more likely to be recognized propery by various programsthat can handle raw files). But I will inquire some more on the CHDK forums to see if there is any way to convert this CRW file to DNG format.

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2012
  5. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:25:51 UTC+1 schreef sobriquet het volgende:
    > Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:03:20 UTC+1 schreef Ron het volgende:
    > > "sobriquet" wrote in message
    > >

    > > According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
    > >
    > > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
    > >
    > > However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
    > > extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a rawfile
    > > in a different format.
    > >
    > > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    > > ++++++++++++++++++++++
    > > Have your tried using Canon's software to convert the RAW file to a TIFF and
    > > then import the TIFF into PS?
    > >
    > > Ron
    > > ++++++++++++++++++++++

    > Nope, but I very much doubt it will work.
    > It seems that the raw file produced by CHDK is about as raw as it gets (unlike the raw file produced by the camera when using the standard firmware).. So it's just a dump of sensor data without any header that specifies the resolution and things like that.
    >
    > I guess the next time I have to ensure using the DNG raw format in the CHDK options (which is more likely to be recognized propery by various programs that can handle raw files). But I will inquire some more on the CHDK forums to see if there is any way to convert this CRW file to DNG format.

    Hopefully someone on the CHDK forum has some hints on converting this CRW format to a more usable raw format like DNG.

    http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7647.0

    I have tried using the CHDK firmware to develop the raw image inside the camera, but that yields a JPG rather than a DNG image. As far as I can see there is no in-camera CRW->DNG conversion option in CHDK.

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2012
  6. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:43:05 UTC+1 schreef Savageduck het volgende:
    > On 2012-02-11 14:40:23 -0800, sobriquet <> said:
    >
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
    > > importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
    > > 6.6).
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow
    > > allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another
    > > format that would allow me to import it in ACR?
    > >
    > > Here is a sample raw file:
    > > http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq
    > >
    > > kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    > The first thing I would ask is, do you have the version of DPP which
    > came with your SX1?
    > If not check with Canon support.

    I'm afraid that won't work, as the CRW file is not something the SX1 normally creates (only with the CHDK firmware hack).

    > <
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...powershot/powershot_sx1_is#DriversAndSoftware
    > >

    > I checked here < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Image_File_Format
    > > and it seems that CRW should be supported by both Photoshop and

    > Lightroom, as well as DNG Converter. I was not able to open your RAW
    > file with CS5, LR2 or the current DNG Converter. However a check of
    > Adobe's site reveals the following, that Adobe supports "Powershot SX1
    > IS" RAW files as CR2 not CWR from ACR version 5.4.
    > So I have no idea if the issue is with your camera writing CWR and not
    > CR2, or Adobe getting it wrong.
    >
    > < http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html >

    Without the CHDK firmware hack, the SX1 does yield CR2 images, but this CRWformat is a kind of alternative raw format from the CHDK firmware that consists of raw sensor data without any meta data whatsoever (while the regular CR2 raw files usually contain some meta data).

    Simply renaming the extension from CRW to CR2 doesn't work.
    Judging from sample PS-SX1 CR2 raw files, it seems that the CR2 format involves some kind of compression. So I can't simply add the header of a PS-SX1CR2 raw file and paste it in front of the CRW data in a hex editor.

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2012
  7. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:44:36 UTC+1 schreef Savageduck het volgende:
    > On 2012-02-11 14:49:31 -0800, sobriquet <> said:
    >

    > > According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
    > >
    > > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
    > >
    > > However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
    > > extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw
    > > file in a different format.
    > >
    > > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    > ...and therein lies your problem. Adobe supports a normal SX1 not a hacked one.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Well, it was my mistake. If I had used the DNG option in the CHDK settings, I wouldn't have any problem with the raw file.

    CHDK is not to blame, and it really is a pretty cool firmware hack with nifty features (like taking pics automatically based on motion detection).

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2012
  8. sobriquet

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:40:23 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <>
    wrote:
    : Hi.
    :
    : My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
    : importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
    : 6.6).
    :
    : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/
    :
    : Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another format that would allow me to import it in ACR?
    :
    : Here is a sample raw file:
    : http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq
    :
    : kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    Digital Photo Professional (recent version) doesn't recognize the file type.
    Zoombrowser does, but considers the file misformatted and won't open it. I
    have at least one newer version of Zoombrowser, but I don't believe recent
    versions can read RAW mode at all. (They tell you to do RAW conversion with
    DPP.)

    My G-5 was the only Canon P&S on which I ever used RAW mode. Each image had
    both a .CRW file and a .THM (thumbnail) file. Is it possible that the
    complaint in this case is that the .THM file is missing? It seems unlikely,
    but you never know.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 12, 2012
  9. sobriquet

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:31 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <>
    wrote:
    :
    : According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
    :
    : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
    :
    : However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
    :
    : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    When I read your first note, I wondered how you got such an old file format on
    what I thought was a relatively recent camera. .CRW and .CR2 are not the same,
    and I believe they're mutually incompatible under all circumstances. What you
    need, I suppose is a .CRW - to - .CR2 converter, which is an animal I've never
    seen.

    BTW, I did try renaming your file to .CR2 (just in case it actually was a .CR2
    file), but that didn't work either.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 12, 2012
  10. sobriquet

    wrote:
    :
    : According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
    :
    : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
    :
    : However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
    :
    : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    Isn't there an informal self-help group of CHDK users? What do they say about
    this?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 12, 2012
  11. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:43:34 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:40:23 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <>
    > wrote:
    > : Hi.
    > :
    > : My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
    > : importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
    > : 6.6).
    > :
    > : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/
    > :
    > : Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another formatthat would allow me to import it in ACR?
    > :
    > : Here is a sample raw file:
    > : http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq
    > :
    > : kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
    >
    > Digital Photo Professional (recent version) doesn't recognize the file type.
    > Zoombrowser does, but considers the file misformatted and won't open it. I
    > have at least one newer version of Zoombrowser, but I don't believe recent
    > versions can read RAW mode at all. (They tell you to do RAW conversion with
    > DPP.)
    >
    > My G-5 was the only Canon P&S on which I ever used RAW mode. Each image had
    > both a .CRW file and a .THM (thumbnail) file. Is it possible that the
    > complaint in this case is that the .THM file is missing? It seems unlikely,
    > but you never know.
    >
    > Bob

    Unlikely, and I don't think I've seen these associated .THM files on the memory card when I copied the CRW files.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw

    "Note It is important to understand that the file extension is not the sameas the file format. CHDK raws and DNGs are frequently saved with a .CRW or.CR2 extension, but they are NOT in Canon formats that typically use theseextensions."

    Presumably, you didn't use CHDK on the G5 (as the G5 allows one to take RAWimages without any firmware modifications).
    CHDK also allows one to create raw images on compact cameras like the PS A720 that don't normally allow one to create raw files.

    The SX1 does normally (without using CHDK) allow one to create raw files and hence I assumed that by keeping the raw setting to CRW as the default (asopposed to DNG), the resulting raw file would be in the Canon CRW/CR2 raw format. But in retrospect, this assumption was mistaken and I should have opted for the DNG setting (in the CHDK config) for raw files that can easilybe imported in ACR.

    sobriquet, Feb 12, 2012
  12. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:52:05 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:31 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <>
    > wrote:
    > :
    > : According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
    > :
    > : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
    > :
    > : However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
    > :
    > : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    >
    > When I read your first note, I wondered how you got such an old file format on
    > what I thought was a relatively recent camera. .CRW and .CR2 are not the same,
    > and I believe they're mutually incompatible under all circumstances. What you
    > need, I suppose is a .CRW - to - .CR2 converter, which is an animal I've never
    > seen.
    >
    > BTW, I did try renaming your file to .CR2 (just in case it actually was a .CR2
    > file), but that didn't work either.
    >
    > Bob

    The quote below explains my problem:

    sobriquet, Feb 12, 2012
  13. sobriquet

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 15:43:05 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2012-02-11 14:40:23 -0800, sobriquet <> said:
    :
    : > Hi.
    : >
[...]
    : <
    : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...powershot/powershot_sx1_is#DriversAndSoftware
    : >
    :
    : I checked here < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Image_File_Format
    : > and it seems that CRW should be supported by both Photoshop and
    : Lightroom, as well as DNG Converter. I was not able to open your RAW
    : file with CS5, LR2 or the current DNG Converter. However a check of
    : Adobe's site reveals the following, that Adobe supports "Powershot SX1
    : IS" RAW files as CR2 not CWR from ACR version 5.4.
    : So I have no idea if the issue is with your camera writing CWR and not
    : CR2, or Adobe getting it wrong.
    :
    : < http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html >

    I think all modern Canons use .CR2. .CRW is an older format that I haven't
    seen since my Powershot G-5. The question, though is whether the hacked SX1 is
    producing even a properly formatted .CRW file. My copies of DPP and
    Zoombrowser don't appear to think that it is.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 12, 2012
  14. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:56:27 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:31 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <>
    > wrote:
    > :
    > : According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
    > :
    > : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
    > :
    > : However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
    > :
    > : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    >
    > Isn't there an informal self-help group of CHDK users? What do they say about
    > this?
    >
    > Bob

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw

    "Note It is important to understand that the file extension is not the same as the file format. CHDK raws and DNGs are frequently saved with a .CRW or .CR2 extension, but they are NOT in Canon formats that typically use these extensions."

    So the CRW file I have is a CHDK raw file and not a Canon raw file.
    In the future I will use DNG instead of CRW and that will solve the problem of importing raw files in ACR for any future pics I will take using CHDK.

    Also, hopefully CHDK will add an in-camera conversion option for
    CRW->DNG, so I can also import these CRW files in ACR.

    sobriquet, Feb 12, 2012
  15. sobriquet

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:03:56 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <>
    wrote:
    : Op zondag 12 februari 2012 01:43:34 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
    : > On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:40:23 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <>
    : > wrote:
    : > : Hi.
    : > :
[...]

    That does sound like the possibility that's most likely to work.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 12, 2012
  16. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Op zondag 12 februari 2012 02:55:14 UTC+1 schreef Robert Coe het volgende:
> [...]
    > :
    > : Presumably, you didn't use CHDK on the G5 (as the G5 allows one to takeRAW images without any firmware modifications).
    > : CHDK also allows one to create raw images on compact cameras like the PS A720 that don't normally allow one to create raw files.
    > :
    > : The SX1 does normally (without using CHDK) allow one to create raw files and hence I assumed that by keeping the raw setting to CRW as the default(as opposed to DNG), the resulting raw file would be in the Canon CRW/CR2 raw format. But in retrospect, this assumption was mistaken and I should have opted for the DNG setting (in the CHDK config) for raw files that can easily be imported in ACR.
    >
    > That does sound like the possibility that's most likely to work.

    People at the CHDK forum were able to help me out by entering custom SX1 specs in DNG4PS-2 (the beta version) which allows it to convert the CRW to DNG (and ACR is able to import that DNG).

    http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7647.new#new

    Thanks everyone here for all suggestions and comments! Problem seems more or less solved now.

    sobriquet, Feb 12, 2012