Problem: Huge memory usage with Netgear WPN111 wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by pongevoorst@googlemail.com, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    My PC frequently runs very slowly. Task Manager showed two instances
    of WPN111.exe (the manager for my Netgear WPN111 wireless adapter),
    each instance using up over 400Meg of memory and climbing. Questions:

    (1) Has anyone else seen this problem? Any idea of the cause and
    cure?

    (2) I am running Windows XP Pro with separate logins for several
    members of my family. Each person currently logged in gets their own
    instance of the WPN111.exe program running. This seems a bad design:
    why shouldn't the program be a system program, running a single
    instance?

    (3) The program typically uses 5-7% of the CPU, even if nothing is
    being downloaded. This seems excessive. Is there a fix?

    (4) The wireless connection seems to get dropped a lot. Popping the
    wireless adapter out and back in usually cures it. If there a better
    solution?

    Regards,

    Ponge

    , Jan 1, 2007

  2. Hi Ponge

    I do not use netgear, but.... I do get two incidents of activity for my
    belkin newtork (cabled) which is replicated on the wirless end of it also.
    Task manager shows two incidents, but one is alocated to me (my user name)
    and the other is shown as a network service. The wireless machines show
    exactly the same in task manager.

    I have not noticerd any slowing down - except with one of the wireless
    machines which uses a USB2 adapter into a USB1 port.

    To whom does your task manager allocate the netgear management exe file?

    FRY

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBGUlk=?=, Jan 2, 2007

  3. Guest

    > To whom does your task manager allocate the netgear management exe file?

    If two users are logged on, say "Sheila" and "Max", then there will be
    two instances of WPN111.exe running, one allocated to Sheila and the
    other allocated to Max. Sometimes they will use sensible amounts of
    memory, but sometimes they will begin to use enormous amounts of
    memory.

    Regards

    Ponge

    , Jan 2, 2007
  4. Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >My PC frequently runs very slowly. Task Manager showed two instances
    >of WPN111.exe (the manager for my Netgear WPN111 wireless adapter),
    >each instance using up over 400Meg of memory and climbing. Questions:
    >
    >(1) Has anyone else seen this problem? Any idea of the cause and
    >cure?

    Can you let Windows manage the connection and ditch the Netgear stuff?

    >(2) I am running Windows XP Pro with separate logins for several
    >members of my family. Each person currently logged in gets their own
    >instance of the WPN111.exe program running. This seems a bad design:
    >why shouldn't the program be a system program, running a single
    >instance?

    Why not make it one then?

    >(3) The program typically uses 5-7% of the CPU, even if nothing is
    >being downloaded. This seems excessive. Is there a fix?

    New drivers?

    >(4) The wireless connection seems to get dropped a lot. Popping the
    >wireless adapter out and back in usually cures it. If there a better
    >solution?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Ponge

    Download newer drivers if available, if not then ditch the POS and buy a
    different brand if you absolutely have to use WiFi.
    --
    Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp, Jan 2, 2007
  5. Guest

    > Clint Sharp wrote:

    > Can you let Windows manage the connection and ditch the Netgear stuff?

    Ha! I checked the Netgear web site, and found that I already have the
    latest drivers. Then I uninstalled and re-installed all the Netgear
    WPN111 software, specifying "Let Windows Zero Configuration manage the
    connection." Reboot. The network works fine. The WPN111.exe process
    is still there, growing in size. So, I killed the process, and...
    NOTHING WENT WRONG!

    As far as I can tell, the WPN111.exe process is a useless memory
    leaker. It can be stopped without dire consequences. What on earth
    are Netgear playing at? Naturally there is no mention of this problem
    (or this process) on their support website. I'd swich to a different
    WiFi adapter, except that Netgear Rangemax is a proprietary system, so
    I'd drop back to 'g' speeds.

    I don't want to have to find and kill the WPN111.exe processes every
    time a member of my family logs onto XP. Does anyone know how I can
    tell XP not to run it at logon?

    Ponge

    , Jan 2, 2007
  6. Guest

    OK, cracked it. The WPN111.exe program is "Netgear WPN111 Smart
    Wizard". I just renamed the WPN111.exe file, and it no longer starts
    up.

    Ponge

    , Jan 2, 2007
  7. Bill Kearney Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > OK, cracked it. The WPN111.exe program is "Netgear WPN111 Smart
    > Wizard". I just renamed the WPN111.exe file, and it no longer starts
    > up.

    Uh, how about just checking the Startup folder? Or the Run registry entry?
    Renaming the executable won't help you if/when you ever update the driver
    and it puts it back again.

    Bill Kearney, Jan 3, 2007