Problem getting my PC to recognise an external drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hungerdunger, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Hungerdunger

    Hungerdunger Guest

    I recently had problems with a PVR, which I have had replaced. AFAIAW there
    were no problems with the 160Gb hard drive in the PVR, so I thought I'd keep
    it as storage for all my MP3 and WAV files.

    I've bought an enclosure so that I can run it from a USB port, but although
    it appears to have been recognised, as I can see "USB Mass Storage Device"
    in Device Manager, I can't see it in Explorer as a drive. There was a CD
    with the enclosure, but it appears to have drivers only for W98SE - it
    doesn't appear to need any for XP. (I'm running Windows XP SP2.)

    With this bare minimum of information , does anyone have suggestions for why
    it is not being seen as a drive and how I can rectify the situation.

    (BTW, I'm just off to bed now (12.40am UK time) so please don't expect me to
    reply to any posts for a few hours)
    --
    Hungerdunger
    To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address

    Hungerdunger, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Hungerdunger

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Hungerdunger wrote:
    > I recently had problems with a PVR, which I have had replaced. AFAIAW
    > there were no problems with the 160Gb hard drive in the PVR,
    > so I thought I'd keep it as storage for all my MP3 and WAV files.
    >
    > I've bought an enclosure so that I can run it from a USB port, but
    > although it appears to have been recognised, as I can see "USB Mass
    > Storage Device" in Device Manager, I can't see it in Explorer as a
    > drive. There was a CD with the enclosure, but it appears to have
    > drivers only for W98SE - it doesn't appear to need any for XP. (I'm
    > running Windows XP SP2.)
    > With this bare minimum of information , does anyone have suggestions
    > for why it is not being seen as a drive and how I can rectify the
    > situation.

    In XP, run disk management and partition/format the drive.

    Right click on "My Computer", click "Manage", then "Disk Management" (under
    storage). The drive should be showing on the right, but without a Volume
    name. Right click on it, select the partition or format tools as needed.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Hungerdunger

    Mike Easter Guest

    Hungerdunger wrote:
    > (BTW, I'm just off to bed now (12.40am UK time) so please don't
    > expect me to reply to any posts for a few hours)

    [Current UTC time = ~ 1 AM or 0100]

    What! Wake up you lazy bones! Don't you know that somewhere in the
    previous wide-ranging British Empire the sun has been up for hours?!

    Altho' it is only dawn in New Delhi of East India Company turf, it is
    already noon in your penal colonies in Australia.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Hungerdunger

    Hungerdunger Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Hungerdunger wrote:
    >> I recently had problems with a PVR, which I have had replaced. AFAIAW
    >> there were no problems with the 160Gb hard drive in the PVR,
    >> so I thought I'd keep it as storage for all my MP3 and WAV files.
    >>
    >> I've bought an enclosure so that I can run it from a USB port, but
    >> although it appears to have been recognised, as I can see "USB Mass
    >> Storage Device" in Device Manager, I can't see it in Explorer as a
    >> drive. There was a CD with the enclosure, but it appears to have
    >> drivers only for W98SE - it doesn't appear to need any for XP. (I'm
    >> running Windows XP SP2.)
    >> With this bare minimum of information , does anyone have suggestions
    >> for why it is not being seen as a drive and how I can rectify the
    >> situation.

    > In XP, run disk management and partition/format the drive.
    >
    > Right click on "My Computer", click "Manage", then "Disk Management"
    > (under storage). The drive should be showing on the right, but without a
    > Volume name. Right click on it, select the partition or format tools as
    > needed.

    Thanks Tim - just what I needed.

    Hungerdunger, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Hungerdunger

    clot Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Hungerdunger wrote:
    >> (BTW, I'm just off to bed now (12.40am UK time) so please don't
    >> expect me to reply to any posts for a few hours)

    > [Current UTC time = ~ 1 AM or 0100]
    >
    > What! Wake up you lazy bones! Don't you know that somewhere in the
    > previous wide-ranging British Empire the sun has been up for hours?!
    >
    > Altho' it is only dawn in New Delhi of East India Company turf, it is
    > already noon in your penal colonies in Australia.

    Listen here, good Sir. One is doing little to conserve our Colonies with
    such a post!
    Our diligent workers will be upset with this attitude- let alone the
    colonials.
    The next thing you know, there'll be a Tea Party in Boston! :)

    clot, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Hungerdunger

    Hungerdunger Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Hungerdunger wrote:
    >> (BTW, I'm just off to bed now (12.40am UK time) so please don't
    >> expect me to reply to any posts for a few hours)

    > [Current UTC time = ~ 1 AM or 0100]
    >
    > What! Wake up you lazy bones! Don't you know that somewhere in the
    > previous wide-ranging British Empire the sun has been up for hours?!
    >
    > Altho' it is only dawn in New Delhi of East India Company turf, it is
    > already noon in your penal colonies in Australia.

    Ah, but even imperialists need a good night's sleep so that they can carry
    on civilising the natives the next day.
    Anyway, as you can see, I didn't make it to bed as my curiousity got the
    better of me.

    Hungerdunger, Jul 23, 2006
  7. Hungerdunger

    clot Guest

    Hungerdunger wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Hungerdunger wrote:
    >>> (BTW, I'm just off to bed now (12.40am UK time) so please don't
    >>> expect me to reply to any posts for a few hours)

    >> [Current UTC time = ~ 1 AM or 0100]
    >>
    >> What! Wake up you lazy bones! Don't you know that somewhere in the
    >> previous wide-ranging British Empire the sun has been up for hours?!
    >>
    >> Altho' it is only dawn in New Delhi of East India Company turf, it is
    >> already noon in your penal colonies in Australia.
    >>

    > Ah, but even imperialists need a good night's sleep so that they can
    > carry on civilising the natives the next day.
    > Anyway, as you can see, I didn't make it to bed as my curiousity got
    > the better of me.

    Hell's Bells. Where are good Sir? One of the remote islands in the
    Pacific? I have six assistants so that we rarely work more than a six
    hour day!

    clot, Jul 23, 2006
  8. Hungerdunger

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Hungerdunger wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Hungerdunger wrote:
    >>> I recently had problems with a PVR, which I have had replaced.
    >>> AFAIAW there were no problems with the 160Gb hard drive in the PVR,
    >>> so I thought I'd keep it as storage for all my MP3 and WAV files.
    >>>
    >>> I've bought an enclosure so that I can run it from a USB port, but
    >>> although it appears to have been recognised, as I can see "USB Mass
    >>> Storage Device" in Device Manager, I can't see it in Explorer as a
    >>> drive. There was a CD with the enclosure, but it appears to have
    >>> drivers only for W98SE - it doesn't appear to need any for XP. (I'm
    >>> running Windows XP SP2.)
    >>> With this bare minimum of information , does anyone have suggestions
    >>> for why it is not being seen as a drive and how I can rectify the
    >>> situation.

    >> In XP, run disk management and partition/format the drive.
    >>
    >> Right click on "My Computer", click "Manage", then "Disk Management"
    >> (under storage). The drive should be showing on the right, but
    >> without a Volume name. Right click on it, select the partition or
    >> format tools as needed.
    >>

    > Thanks Tim - just what I needed.

    You're quite welcome.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006