problem getting asterisk behind NAT to run with sipproxd

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tamer Higazi, Feb 9, 2009.

  1. Tamer Higazi

    Tamer Higazi Guest

    Hi people!
    I have a problem getting asterisk 1.6.5 running behind an NAT. My topology:

    Asterisk PBX (version 1.6.5): I have Asterisk behind a NAT (192.168.1.2)
    SIP Phone: A client behind NAT (192.168.1.3)
    Softphone: One other client somewhere in the internet (also behind an NAT).

    they want to speak with each other, and if they do, there is no sound.

    if softphone in the internet is no more behind a NAT router, it can hear
    SIP Phone but SIP Phone is not able to hear Softphone.

    siproxd is installed on the same machine where the asterisk PBX is
    installed, and I don't know how to configure it properly as well how the
    sip.conf of the asterisk PBX should have to look like.

    For any support I would thank you gladly.

    Tamer

    Tamer Higazi, Feb 9, 2009

  2. Tamer Higazi

    Bodincus Guest

    Tamer Higazi:
    > Hi people!
    > I have a problem getting asterisk 1.6.5 running behind an NAT. My topology:
    >
    > Asterisk PBX (version 1.6.5): I have Asterisk behind a NAT (192.168.1.2)
    > SIP Phone: A client behind NAT (192.168.1.3)
    > Softphone: One other client somewhere in the internet (also behind an NAT).
    >
    > they want to speak with each other, and if they do, there is no sound.
    >
    > if softphone in the internet is no more behind a NAT router, it can hear
    > SIP Phone but SIP Phone is not able to hear Softphone.
    >
    > siproxd is installed on the same machine where the asterisk PBX is
    > installed, and I don't know how to configure it properly as well how the
    > sip.conf of the asterisk PBX should have to look like.
    >

    > For any support I would thank you gladly.
    >

    > Tamer

    This is the ABC of VoIP, so I only can recommend you to surf to
    www.voip-info.org and absorb everything like a sponge before trying
    anything else.
    Not to discourage you, but a to obtain a properly functional VoIP PBX
    setup you need a enormous wealth of experience in many different
    branches of IT.
    VOIP it's not Skype, you know...

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ----------------------------

    Bodincus, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Tamer Higazi <> wrote:
    > siproxd is installed on the same machine where the asterisk PBX is
    > installed, and I don't know how to configure it properly as well how the
    > sip.conf of the asterisk PBX should have to look like.

    I was briefly looking at this the other day... I thought sipproxd has to run
    on the NAT gateway machine, not just any machine behind it?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Feb 10, 2009
  4. Tamer Higazi

    Tamer Higazi Guest

    I got everything to run as I wanted to. Entirely happy!

    How....

    extensions.conf:

    In the general part...

    [general]
    port=5060
    bindaddr=0.0.0.0
    localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    externip=85.x.x.x (put the real ip behind your NAT there)
    qualify=yes
    nat=yes

    and under each user account you add the following lines:

    canreinvite=no
    directrtpsetup=yes
    nat=yes

    "canreinvite=no" ensures that only one invite message is being sent and
    "directrtpsetup=yes" makes asterisk act as a proxy, and makes is
    possible that the clients through the RTP stream handle out their path
    directly without the "asterisk-man-in-the-middle-player".

    However. clients in the same network (as asterisk) should be configured
    as nat=no, everybody else out of the network is: "nat=yes"

    If you do that, everything runs like suggar!

    Tamer

    Tamer Higazi, Feb 11, 2009