Problem formatting C drive (Please Help)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Randy and Ann, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
    boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using the
    factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive and
    reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
    already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.

    My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
    it comes up with this:

    FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]

    [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].

    Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
    above means?

    Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
    had to fix mine.

    Sam

    Randy and Ann, Dec 30, 2009

  2. Randy and Ann

    JD Guest

    Randy and Ann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
    > boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using the
    > factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive and
    > reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
    > already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
    >
    > My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
    > it comes up with this:
    >

    > FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
    >
    > [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
    >

    > Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
    > above means?
    >

    > Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
    > had to fix mine.
    >

    > Sam

    Hi There

    You cannot format a drive you are using, also if you are reinstalling
    you do not need to format it as the Operating System disk will do this
    for you.

    I suggest you read this thoroughly before you do anything:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/overview.mspx

    there may also be an easier way to fix it, what make is the PC if its a
    shop bough PC it most probably has a recovery partition on it, a few key
    presses and it could be back to the way it was when new, usually you
    press F11 just after the POST screen, then follow the instructions.

    JD

    JD, Dec 30, 2009

  3. JD,

    Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
    enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST screen'.
    The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known good mode,
    or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from the F drive
    prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not that easy.... I
    tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed of death (again),
    that's why I thought about scratching everything and and starting over. The
    error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software and/or to remove any
    firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up the computer. I
    appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.

    Thanks, Sam

    Randy and Ann, Dec 30, 2009
  4. You can't reformat the boot drive. Yoou have to boot to a different drive
    and then format.

    What you need is the XP Installation CD, put it in the tray, set the Boot
    Priority in BIOS to look for the CD first, and then choose Install, not
    Repair. After going through a couple of screens, then you can choose the
    Repair option -- the C Drive will be listed as an installation location,
    select it then choose the option for a fresh install.

    The data on your HDD will be destroyed.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 30, 2009
  5. "Randy and Ann" <> wrote in message
    > JD,
    >
    > Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
    > enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST
    > screen'. The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known
    > good mode, or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from
    > the F drive prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not
    > that easy.... I tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed
    > of death (again), that's why I thought about scratching everything and and
    > starting over. The error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software
    > and/or to remove any firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up
    > the computer. I appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.
    >
    > Thanks, Sam

    POST = Power On System Test.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 30, 2009
  6. Randy and Ann

    JD Guest

    Randy and Ann wrote:
    > JD,
    >
    > Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
    > enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST screen'.
    > The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known good mode,
    > or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from the F drive
    > prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not that easy.... I
    > tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed of death (again),
    > that's why I thought about scratching everything and and starting over. The
    > error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software and/or to remove any
    > firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up the computer. I
    > appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.
    >
    > Thanks, Sam

    The POST screen is the first thing you see when you turn the PC on some
    people refer to it as the BIOS Screen, its all the same tho, it will
    show you how much memory you have, type of CPU and your Drives, or it
    will be the Dell logo (you can usually press the TAB key to see the info
    if the logo is displayed, or you can turn it off in your BIOS settings)

    The first thing I would try is seeing if it has a recovery partition
    this will be easier than a full re/install as you will have to look for
    driver's if you do that.

    So turn on the PC wait for the BEEP just after the POST screen and
    before the windows XP loading screen (or where that would normally be)
    press F11 (it may also be CTRL + F11) and see if you get the Dell
    recovery option if you do follow the instructions.

    if not, make sure your computer is set to boot from CD first then HDD,
    you will find these options in your BIOS settings, usually labeled BOOT
    ORDER or something similar, you usually press DEL or F2 to get into the
    BIOS settings but it will tell you at the bottom of the screen when you
    turn the PC on "Press Del to enter Setup ....."

    you can then insert your Windows XP disk, you should get the "Press any
    Key to boot from CD .." press a key, all the following screens should be
    Blue.

    you should follow these instructions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx

    the only difference for you will be the part about partitions, you will
    want to select each one then delete them (highlight it and press D) once
    all the partitions are gone it will show up as free space, just press
    enter and select quick format, the rest should be a case of following
    the on screen instructions.

    You say you get a blue screen of death where does this happen and what
    does it say ? As I'm not sure if your are loading the Repair disk or if
    its the OS (XP) that is loading, BSOD Can mean Hardware Failure or it
    could just be a faulty driver or .dll

    JD

    JD, Dec 30, 2009
  7. I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still kicking
    my butt...
    It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and changed
    them
    so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death' comes
    about a
    second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code (maybe
    I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I did some more
    research
    and found it at this website: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html

    I would appreciate the help if someone could "dumb this down" a little bit
    for me....

    Thank you to anyone who can assist in helping me (teaching me).

    Sam

    Randy and Ann, Dec 31, 2009
  8. Randy and Ann

    Paul Guest

    Randy and Ann wrote:
    > I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still kicking
    > my butt...
    > It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and changed
    > them
    > so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death' comes
    > about a
    > second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code (maybe
    > I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I did some more
    > research
    > and found it at this website: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html
    >
    > I would appreciate the help if someone could "dumb this down" a little bit
    > for me....
    >
    > Thank you to anyone who can assist in helping me (teaching me).
    >
    > Sam

    Make sure it is actually booting from the CD, and not going to the hard
    drive instead. Since you mention "Windows logo", that sounds like it
    is still the hard drive that is doing the booting.

    Some BIOS screens will say something like "press a key to boot from CD",
    even though the CD is logically the thing the user wants to boot from.
    So even if it is in the boot order, it may still require you to press
    a key to get the CD to boot (within a short timeout period).

    There are a number of options you could be following, to put Windows
    back on the machine. Some of the options would do more damage than others.
    For example, I could tell you to get a copy of DBAN and erase the entire
    hard drive, but a side effect of that, is you could lose the recovery partition
    if the machine was a Dell/HP etc.

    On the one hand, we want to help. On the other, we have to be careful not
    to recommend things you may later regret.

    Examine your bootup process more carefully, to see whether the machine
    is actually trying to boot from CD. Some of the screens flash by
    so fast, that you may miss an option on the screen. You can try pressing
    the "Pause" key, if this is happening at the BIOS level. Pressing another
    key after "Pause" should allow the sequence to continue.

    Also, take a look in the user manual that came with the computer.
    It contains a lot of irrelevant info, but you could benefit from
    reading the portion of the manual that deals with the recovery
    partition and burning recovery media. The BIOS may have a key you
    press, which causes the C: drive to be wiped out and returned to
    factory condition. That is their idea of doing you a favor, by
    wiping out all your user files on C :-(

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 31, 2009
  9. Randy and Ann

    Baron Guest

    Randy and Ann Inscribed thus:

    > I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still
    > kicking my butt...
    > It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and
    > changed them
    > so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death'
    > comes about a
    > second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code
    > (maybe I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I
    > did some more research
    > and found it at this website:
    > http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html

    That suggests HDD failure...

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 31, 2009
  10. Baron, Paul, James, Jeff, JD, Janus, and anyone eles who jumped in to
    provide assistance,

    I wanted to thank you for the help you provided. We ended up having
    a bad hard drive.
    Your assistance helped to save us $$$$$.

    Thanks again! Sam

    Randy and Ann, Jan 9, 2010
  11. "Randy and Ann" <> wrote in message
    > Baron, Paul, James, Jeff, JD, Janus, and anyone eles who jumped in to
    > provide assistance,
    >
    > I wanted to thank you for the help you provided. We ended up having
    > a bad hard drive.
    > Your assistance helped to save us $$$$$.
    >

    > Thanks again! Sam

    You are welcome.

    MORE MONEY SAVING TIPS
    The failed drive might not be totally failed. You can frequently recover the
    files on this kind of drive with a device that costs about $25. Basically
    it's a power supply and a conector that fits a 3.5, 2.5, and SATA connection
    on a drive, and a USB cable that then plugs into your laptop or PC. Or, Mac,
    I suppose. Anyway, once the machine is up, you can connect the "failed"
    drive with the device I described, and recover files from it.

    My experience here is a bit limited, but I've alwasy found the boot sector
    of the drive to be damaged, making the files on the drive recoverable if one
    can boot from something else, such as a new HDD, or a different HDD on
    another machine.

    I found a device called EZ-CONNECT that lets me take a "failed" drive and
    make it into a USB drive that I can then take stuff off of it and put it on
    another drive.

    If you are able to recover the data, then you can do several things with the
    drive, including using it again as the main HDD. Once you get the files off,
    you should reformat and see if the boot sector can be repaired through this
    process. If it can't, then the drive can still be used as a backup file
    storage device.

    You can reformat and keep using the drive as the primary device, or set it
    as a Slave and use it as a secondary device that is permantly mounted inside
    the machine -- a laptop will not accomodate this usage but a desktop machine
    will normally have an unused bay that will hold it.

    You can get an enclosure that allows the drive to be used as an external
    drive. This will convert the drive to a USB drive and have you place it into
    a hardened enclosure. This allows the drive to be used as a temporary
    storage device, much the same as a flash- or thumb-drive, or any other
    external hard drive that you see on the market these days. You can store the
    drive in a drawer or your briefcase, and pull it out when you want to use it
    then put it away again. I'm not sure how much an enclosure should cost, but
    you should be able to find representative samples on eBay.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 9, 2010
  12. Randy and Ann

    Baron Guest

    Randy and Ann Inscribed thus:

    > Baron, Paul, James, Jeff, JD, Janus, and anyone eles who jumped in to
    > provide assistance,
    >
    > I wanted to thank you for the help you provided. We ended up
    > having
    > a bad hard drive.
    > Your assistance helped to save us $$$$$.
    >

    > Thanks again! Sam

    You're welcome. Glad to help. (*)

    --
    Best Regards: