    Instead it just goes ahead and overwrites it. My computer is about 4 years
    old and it is the first time I'm trying to format the hard drive 'coz it
    became unbareably slow. Any help will be much appreciated

    sri, Feb 11, 2008

  2. This is not an XP newsgroup. It is a Windows 64bit newsgroup, as its name
    says. You should use microsoft.public.windowsxp.general instead. This
    group discusses issues with Vista x64, Windows Server 64bit editions, XP Pro
    x64, and Itananium 64bit editions. Having said that....

    Is your XP Pro cd a retail cd? Full edition or Upgrade edition? Where did
    you get it?

    I think you know this, but just in case; You can only format the C: drive by
    booting with the XP cd. You cannot format from Windows.

    What is the boot order in your BIOS? It needs to have the cd drive ahead of
    the hard drive in order to boot with the cd. What setting did you change to
    "boot from cd"?

    Since XP Home came preinstalled on your computer do you have a Microsoft XP
    Home cd, a restore cd, or none?

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 11, 2008

  3. or create a boot floppy and boot from that. And format. Of course, if you
    don't have a bootable CD, you are then hosed and have no way to install XP.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 11, 2008