Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Doe, Feb 18, 2012.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I guess this is off-topic, but...

    I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
    that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
    camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
    files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
    playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
    Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
    movie editor that will handle them?

    I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
    file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
    file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
    converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
    handle it?

    I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
    "Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Feb 18, 2012

  2. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <4f3fd8ac$0$32196$c3e8da3$>, John
    Doe <> wrote:

    > I guess this is off-topic, but...
    >
    > I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
    > that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
    > camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
    > files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
    > playback in VLC media player.

    bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a standard
    quicktime movie.

    > I need to edit those files.
    > Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
    > movie editor that will handle them?

    install quicktime.

    > I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
    > file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
    > file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
    > converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
    > handle it?

    no need to convert. mov files are standard quicktime files.

    > I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
    > "Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

    it's probably using the mjpeg codec.

    nospam, Feb 18, 2012

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    nospam <nospam nospam.invalid> wrote:

    > John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> I guess this is off-topic, but...
    >>
    >> I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records
    >> movies that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy
    >> another camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the
    >> produced MOV files appear to be incompatible with most
    >> everything except playback in VLC media player.

    > bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a
    > standard quicktime movie.
    >
    >> I need to edit those files. Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot
    >> handle the format. Is there some movie editor that will handle
    >> them?

    > install quicktime.

    To do what? I tried installing QuickTime but that didn't help
    Microsoft's Movie Maker edit the file. That is the context of what
    you are replying to.

    John Doe, Feb 18, 2012
  4. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <4f3fdb97$0$31147$c3e8da3$>, John
    Doe <> wrote:

    > >> I need to edit those files. Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot
    > >> handle the format. Is there some movie editor that will handle
    > >> them?

    > > install quicktime.

    > To do what? I tried installing QuickTime but that didn't help
    > Microsoft's Movie Maker edit the file. That is the context of what
    > you are replying to.

    use quicktime player, or any quicktime aware app.

    nospam, Feb 18, 2012
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I'M TRYING TO EDIT THE FILES, MAROON

    John Doe, Feb 18, 2012
  6. John Doe

    tony cooper Guest

    On 18 Feb 2012 16:58:20 GMT, John Doe <> wrote:

    >I guess this is off-topic, but...
    >
    >I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
    >that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
    >camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
    >files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
    >playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
    >Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
    >movie editor that will handle them?
    >
    >I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
    >file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
    >file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
    >converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
    >handle it?
    >
    >I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
    >"Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

    You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
    from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
    where you will be treated with respect and get help.

    http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ is a good place to start.
    There are several forum links there that will take you to specific
    forums where people will provide polite and helpful answers.

    The guru of all gurus in this area is "Papa John" Buechler. You'll
    find links to his forums at http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 18, 2012
  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    tony cooper <tony.cooper214 gmail.com> wrote:

    > http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ is a good place to
    > start.

    I probably will consult such a forum. What I want to do is
    straightforward, it's easy to describe, but actually doing it is
    difficult without knowing something about the movie editing
    software.

    Later.

    John Doe, Feb 18, 2012
  8. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
    > >that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
    > >camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
    > >files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
    > >playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
    > >Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
    > >movie editor that will handle them?
    > >
    > >I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
    > >file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
    > >file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
    > >converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
    > >handle it?
    > >
    > >I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
    > >"Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

    > You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
    > from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
    > where you will be treated with respect and get help.

    how's this for respect: **** off.

    my answer was both helpful and 100% correct, unlike yours, which was
    solely to bash me.

    here it is again: installing quicktime is the way to read/write mov
    files. quicktime also includes an app called quicktime player, which
    can do basic editing.

    he didn't say how extensive the editing needed to be, which is why i
    also suggested other quicktime aware apps in the event that quicktime
    player does not suffice. there are numerous options available, but
    without knowing exactly what he wants to do, there's no way anyone can
    offer a better suggestion than that.

    nospam, Feb 18, 2012
  9. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <4f3ffdef$0$2158$c3e8da3$>, John
    Doe <> wrote:

    > I probably will consult such a forum. What I want to do is
    > straightforward, it's easy to describe, but actually doing it is
    > difficult without knowing something about the movie editing
    > software.

    why don't you describe it? then people can give you more precise
    answers.

    and you will need to install quicktime.

    nospam, Feb 18, 2012
  10. John Doe

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:40:13 -0500, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
    >> >that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
    >> >camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
    >> >files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
    >> >playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
    >> >Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
    >> >movie editor that will handle them?
    >> >
    >> >I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
    >> >file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
    >> >file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
    >> >converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
    >> >handle it?
    >> >
    >> >I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
    >> >"Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

    >> You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
    >> from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
    >> where you will be treated with respect and get help.

    >how's this for respect: **** off.
    >
    >my answer was both helpful and 100% correct, unlike yours, which was
    >solely to bash me.

    I don't consider a reply that starts out with "bullshit" to be
    helpful.

    "Solely" means "not involving anything else". While I did bash you -
    as you deserve - I gave him something else: links to forums and an
    individual who be genuinely helpful.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 18, 2012
  11. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
    > >> from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
    > >> where you will be treated with respect and get help.

    > >how's this for respect: **** off.
    > >
    > >my answer was both helpful and 100% correct, unlike yours, which was
    > >solely to bash me.

    > I don't consider a reply that starts out with "bullshit" to be
    > helpful.

    bullshit may be blunt, but his statement that mov files appear to be
    incompatible with most everything except vlc is completely bogus.
    nothing could be further from the truth.

    mov is a standard format and all that is necessary to read/write mov
    files is install quicktime, something which is completely free, i might
    add. there are some unofficial hacks that may offer partial support but
    they're pretty bad, overall. it's also a bit surprising he doesn't have
    quicktime already installed, since so much on the internet uses it.

    > "Solely" means "not involving anything else". While I did bash you -
    > as you deserve - I gave him something else: links to forums and an
    > individual who be genuinely helpful.

    that's nothing more than a runaround. my answer was the correct
    solution, *and* i even told him what app to start with.

    nospam, Feb 18, 2012
  12. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <2012021813071038165-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > QuickTime is not a perfect, or even good solution for the OP, "John
    > Doe" who is apparently a Windows user.

    installing quicktime is the *only* way to properly handle quicktime
    movies, which is what a .mov file is. he could try some of the open
    source hacks that claim to support quicktime, but they're pretty bad.
    since quicktime is free, there's no reason whatsoever to not install
    it.

    > There is a big difference between QuickTime Player and QuickTime 7 Pro.
    > For starters QT Player is just that, a player for most audio files and
    > many video formats, but QT Player has always been problematic when it
    > came to some specific codecs, especially when it came to some avi
    > variants. It is not a video editor.

    quick time player does a *lot* more than just play. it can do basic
    editing, record new movies, as well as tweaks such as rotate, adjust
    colour, frame rate, etc.

    > QT 7 Pro for OSX or Windows costs $29.99 and for some media you might
    > have to add the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component which costs another
    > $19.99.

    quicktime pro might be required, depending on what he needs to do (he
    didn't give details). he also said it was an mjpeg file, which matches
    my recollection of what nikon does for their video files, so there's no
    need for an mpeg2 component.

    > Personally on my Macs I use iMovie for editing any videos I shoot with
    > either my Canon G11, Nikon D300s, or iPhone all without any major
    > hassle. For viewing problematic video file with oddball codecs I use
    > VLC there doesn't seem to be any compatibility between VLC and its
    > Swiss Army Knife utility and QT's inability to handle tricky file
    > formats. I can view .avi files which QT chokes on, with VLC.

    quicktime does not choke on avi files unless they are corrupted somehow.

    avi files, like mov files, are containers for any of a variety of
    codecs. it's even possible for an avi and a mov file to use the same
    codec. quicktime supports standard codecs, such as h.264, mpeg, etc.

    avis tend to use non-standard codecs, i.e., microsoft proprietary ones
    such as wmv, as well as ones such as divx. if you add the appropriate
    codec, you can play the movie.

    in the case of wmv, the codec to write wmv is not free (only playing is
    free), but blame microsoft for that, since wmv is not cheap to license.

    > QT does not have access to the entire array of video format codecs. It
    > has always been a longstanding issue with Macs and QT. It is one reason
    > I use VLC on my Macs.

    quicktime has access to *any* codec anyone wants to write and all of
    the popular formats exist (e.g., divx). if a codec for a particular
    format doesn't exist, then it's because there's little demand for it or
    the format is proprietary (or both).

    nospam, Feb 18, 2012
  13. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <2012021814104884492-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> There is a big difference between QuickTime Player and QuickTime 7 Pro.
    > >> For starters QT Player is just that, a player for most audio files and
    > >> many video formats, but QT Player has always been problematic when it
    > >> came to some specific codecs, especially when it came to some avi
    > >> variants. It is not a video editor.

    > > quick time player does a *lot* more than just play. it can do basic
    > > editing, record new movies, as well as tweaks such as rotate, adjust
    > > colour, frame rate, etc.

    > Basic editing with QT Player?
    > It can certainly record a basic movie as a .mov, and it can record
    > screen actions as a .mov. It can record audio, also as a .mov, but with
    > regard to editing it will only permit trimming. For more advanced edits
    > upgrade to QT Pro, or use iMovie.

    you can also cut/copy/paste selections. it's not as good as a dedicated
    video editing app, but for simple stuff it works.

    > >> Personally on my Macs I use iMovie for editing any videos I shoot with
    > >> either my Canon G11, Nikon D300s, or iPhone all without any major
    > >> hassle. For viewing problematic video file with oddball codecs I use
    > >> VLC there doesn't seem to be any compatibility between VLC and its
    > >> Swiss Army Knife utility and QT's inability to handle tricky file
    > >> formats. I can view .avi files which QT chokes on, with VLC.

    > > quicktime does not choke on avi files unless they are corrupted somehow.

    > As you have noted avi's are containers and there is no true avi
    > standard. I have experienced avi's which choke QT and are only playable
    > on VLC.

    there is an avi standard, but unfortunately, a lot of files are not
    compliant with it, typically from buggy windows apps.

    avi movies that do not play properly in quicktime with the appropriate
    codec are almost always corrupt. quicktime won't play corrupted movies.
    nothing should play them because they are invalid avi files, but buggy
    software apparently doesn't care, which is not too surprising since
    it's the same buggy crap that wrote the bogus files in the first place.

    nevertheless, vlc does a good job of guessing what the data should be,
    which is certainly nice but the file is still corrupt.

    > > in the case of wmv, the codec to write wmv is not free (only playing is
    > > free), but blame microsoft for that, since wmv is not cheap to license.

    > Agreed, and that led to the workaround for playing WMV/WMA on QT with
    > "Flip4Mac" when MS dropped the WM player for Mac.
    > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcom
    > ponents

    no workaround needed. microsoft dropped support for their player (which
    was not very good) and decided to sponsor telestream's version, which
    was *much* better. it has the blessing and backing of microsoft and
    will properly support windows media files. as i said, the player part
    is free, which is all anyone needs because people should not create
    proprietary formats.

    <http://www.telestream.net/update-check/wmv/wmv-update-player.htm?icid=o
    verview-f4m-update>

    see above for wmv and <http://www.divx.com/en/software/mac> for divx.

    nospam, Feb 18, 2012
  14. John Doe

    me Guest

    On 18 Feb 2012 17:20:33 GMT, John Doe <> wrote:

    >I'M TRYING TO EDIT THE FILES, MAROON

    So purchase Quicktime Pro or any other editor/converter which
    recognizes the quicktime format.

    me, Feb 19, 2012
  15. nospam <> writes:

    > In article <4f3fd8ac$0$32196$c3e8da3$>, John
    > Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> I guess this is off-topic, but...
    >>
    >> I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
    >> that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
    >> camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
    >> files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
    >> playback in VLC media player.

    > bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a standard
    > quicktime movie.

    So it's incompatible with nearly everything, then; Quicktime is not
    widely supported.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 20, 2012
  16. John Doe

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    > >> I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
    > >> that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
    > >> camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
    > >> files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
    > >> playback in VLC media player.

    > > bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a standard
    > > quicktime movie.

    > So it's incompatible with nearly everything, then; Quicktime is not
    > widely supported.

    quicktime is one of the most widely supported multimedia formats, if
    not *the* widest. furthermore, quicktime uses codecs that are industry
    standard (h.264, mpeg, mp3 etc.), rather than proprietary non-standard
    ones such as wmv that are designed to lock you into the platform.

    nospam, Feb 20, 2012