Problem Downloading from Simtel.net

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Brad, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    I often downloaded software from www.simtel.net. Now, they changed their
    system which I assume is suppose to be more secure?

    I have a Windows 98 computer with Netscape 7.0 browser. When I tried to
    download a program.zip ("program.zip" is not the actual name), I downloaded
    "download-program.zip.exe" instead!!!!!! At "Start" and "Run", when I
    launched "download-program.zip.exe", nothing happened!!!

    I have IE 5.5 (I don't use), so I got on line and used that browser.
    That browser gave me two options, "Save" or "Run the file at it's current
    location" (not exact words), so I clicked on "Run the file at it's ...." and I
    still didn't get "program.zip"!!!

    Do I need a newer browser to download from simtel.net with their new
    system?
    Thanks in advance, Brad

    be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

    Brad, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Brad

    ArtDent Guest

    On 10-Jan-2007, (Brad) wrote:

    > Do I need a newer browser to download from simtel.net with their
    > new system?

    No.
    They probably made it go to a dedicated download page, instead of the file
    itself.
    Left click on the link, then after a few seconds (at the new page) it
    should pop up the "run or save" options box.

    --
    Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses.
    Arthur C. Clarke

    ArtDent, Jan 11, 2007