Problem downloading application to CD RW

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    I am attempting to download a utility called FreeUndelete from the
    provider's web site to a CD-RW disk in my drive D. The provider
    advises that the utility be downloaded and run from a drive other than
    the one containing the files to be undeleted.

    When I attempt to download the application ( a 1 Mb, self-installing
    exe file) to my Drive D I get a pop up error message that tells me D:\
    is not accessible - incorrect function.

    What am I doing wrong?

    I tried a work around by downloading the application self-installing
    exe file to my desktop and then used my CD burning software to burn it
    to a CD-RW disk. However when I try to run the exe setup to install
    the application on the disk as D:\FreeUndelete I get another pop up
    error message telling me that an invalid directory name specified or
    the removable media specified is not properly inserted.

    Anyone know what is going wrong here? Do I need to create a directory
    in Drive D so that I can install the application there? If so, how
    does one create a valid directory in Drive D?

    Any insights or suggestion would be appreciated,

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Open MY COMPUTER and double-click on your hard drive.
    When the window opens, right-click and select New > Folder.
    Rename the folder "Free Undelete" and download the file to
    that folder, then double-click the file to begin installation.

    FreeUndelete - download
    http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/download.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Dec 8, 2004

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, fdm2000
    @comcast.net says...

    > I am attempting to download a utility called FreeUndelete from the
    > provider's web site to a CD-RW disk in my drive D. The provider
    > advises that the utility be downloaded and run from a drive other than
    > the one containing the files to be undeleted.
    >
    > When I attempt to download the application ( a 1 Mb, self-installing
    > exe file) to my Drive D I get a pop up error message that tells me D:\
    > is not accessible - incorrect function.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    First download it to your hard drive, then write it to the CD. That
    should clear the problem.

    CDRW disks are not made to be used as a dynamic storage volume like a
    hard disk, that's probably why you are getting the error. So save it to
    your hard drive then move it to the CDRW

    FR

    me here at www.flyingrat.net

    Flying Rat, Dec 8, 2004
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Open cd's are just for writing to not for running things. You have to close
    the cd to run something and CD-RW don't run well on all systems. Try writing
    to a CD-R, close it then run it.

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message

    > I am attempting to download a utility called FreeUndelete from the
    > provider's web site to a CD-RW disk in my drive D. The provider
    > advises that the utility be downloaded and run from a drive other than
    > the one containing the files to be undeleted.
    >
    > When I attempt to download the application ( a 1 Mb, self-installing
    > exe file) to my Drive D I get a pop up error message that tells me D:\
    > is not accessible - incorrect function.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > I tried a work around by downloading the application self-installing
    > exe file to my desktop and then used my CD burning software to burn it
    > to a CD-RW disk. However when I try to run the exe setup to install
    > the application on the disk as D:\FreeUndelete I get another pop up
    > error message telling me that an invalid directory name specified or
    > the removable media specified is not properly inserted.
    >
    > Anyone know what is going wrong here? Do I need to create a directory
    > in Drive D so that I can install the application there? If so, how
    > does one create a valid directory in Drive D?
    >
    > Any insights or suggestion would be appreciated,
    >
    > Frank

    ---

    Rodney Kelp, Dec 8, 2004
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Many thanks to Carey, Flying Rat and Rodney for their asistance.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Dec 9, 2004