Problem deleting a Windows installation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi

    Please help if you can!

    I have two hard drives and installed Windows on one. I then disconnected
    that drive, fitted a brand new one and installed Windows on that. (Don't ask
    why... it would take a long time to explain).

    Now I want to delete the WINNT folder on the second drive as I guessed it
    wasn't used or necessary but it says I can't delete it as it's in use.

    I tried deleting it from the DOS prompt too but no go.

    I have a horrible suspicion that one or more of the programmes I reinstalled
    may have got a hook in this old copy of Windows from when it was the 'only'
    one. God, if you want someone to mess up a computer, ask me!

    Anyway, assuming you're still awake, do you know how I can mop this mess up?

    Thanks for ever if you can help.

    Luv

    Rhona

    Mike, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Mike

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Boot up to the other windows installation then delete it.

    pcbutts1, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Mike

    Guest

    On "Mike" <> wrote:

    |>Hi
    |>
    |>Please help if you can!
    |>
    |>I have two hard drives and installed Windows on one. I then disconnected
    |>that drive, fitted a brand new one and installed Windows on that. (Don't ask
    |>why... it would take a long time to explain).
    |>
    |>Now I want to delete the WINNT folder on the second drive as I guessed it
    |>wasn't used or necessary but it says I can't delete it as it's in use.
    |>
    |>I tried deleting it from the DOS prompt too but no go.
    |>
    |>I have a horrible suspicion that one or more of the programmes I reinstalled
    |>may have got a hook in this old copy of Windows from when it was the 'only'
    |>one. God, if you want someone to mess up a computer, ask me!
    |>
    |>Anyway, assuming you're still awake, do you know how I can mop this mess up?

    When you boot up in dos is this within Windows?

    If so download a WIn98 boot disk http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    Difference between OEM and others, is OEM will install your CD if you
    system doesn't. Boot up with this.

    Now it's kinda hard to delete a large dir like WINNT in DOS, so just
    rename it. When you boot up whatever program is using the old install
    won't load and allow you to delete it within windows.

    --

    , Jun 24, 2005
  4. Mike

    Guest

    On wrote:

    |>Now it's kinda hard to delete a large dir like WINNT in DOS, so just
    |>rename it. When you boot up whatever program is using the old install
    |>won't load and allow you to delete it within windows.

    You should really make sure your deleting the correct directory. You
    rename the wrong one and of course you won't boot up.

    View your C:\BOOT.INI file, and look at the Partition(#)
    (partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP)

    The # is the partition Windows will boot from 1=C, 2=D and on.

    --

    , Jun 24, 2005