    redundancy check can be turned off. If that is really the problem, how can I do
    that
    using Nero, as I see no option to do so?

    sherwindu, Aug 21, 2006

  2. sherwindu

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:37:59 -0500, sherwindu <>
    wrote:

    >I tried to copy a DVD using Nero and a Sony burner running under Windows 2000.
    >I received an error message of a 'cyclic redundancy error' before anything could
    >be
    >transfered. Is the problem really one of copy protection, and the error message
    >is not being accurately descriptive of the cause? I see where in certain cases
    >the cyclic
    >redundancy check can be turned off. If that is really the problem, how can I do
    >that
    >using Nero, as I see no option to do so?

    If the DVD is encrypted you must use a decryptor to copy it. One very
    popular option is DVD Decrypter (no longer supported) and it's latest
    incarnation DVDFab Decrypter. Also DVD Shrink (no longer supported)
    will decrypt files.

    If you are using a devrypter, then the error is too new for the older
    decrypters. Try using DVDFab Decrypter - get the latest version.

    --

    Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.

    Bob, Aug 21, 2006

  3. sherwindu

    sherwindu Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:37:59 -0500, sherwindu <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I tried to copy a DVD using Nero and a Sony burner running under Windows 2000.
    > >I received an error message of a 'cyclic redundancy error' before anything could
    > >be
    > >transfered. Is the problem really one of copy protection, and the error message
    > >is not being accurately descriptive of the cause? I see where in certain cases
    > >the cyclic
    > >redundancy check can be turned off. If that is really the problem, how can I do
    > >that
    > >using Nero, as I see no option to do so?

    > If the DVD is encrypted you must use a decryptor to copy it. One very
    > popular option is DVD Decrypter (no longer supported) and it's latest
    > incarnation DVDFab Decrypter. Also DVD Shrink (no longer supported)
    > will decrypt files.
    >
    > If you are using a devrypter, then the error is too new for the older
    > decrypters. Try using DVDFab Decrypter - get the latest version.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.

    OK, I have installed DVDFab Decrypter 2.9.8.3, which I hope is recent
    enough. I loaned out the source DVD, so I won't be able to retry the copy
    for another day, or so. I actually did try copying with DVD Shrink originally
    and got the same failure of CRC on the source DVD. I looked for special
    settings in this program to get around the problem, but couldn't find any.
    The source DVD plays fine, and my DVD reader and burner works fine
    on other disks. I will try again later with DVDFab. Nero reports that both
    the source and target DVD's are ok. If the disk is encrypted, should I not
    get a more descriptive error message from Nero?

    Sherwin D.

    sherwindu, Aug 22, 2006
  4. sherwindu

    sherwindu Guest

    sherwindu, Aug 22, 2006
  5. sherwindu

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:25:50 -0500, sherwindu <>
    wrote:

    >should I not get a more descriptive error message from Nero?

    LOL.

    You are lucky you got any kind of error message at all. Usually all
    Nero does is lock up.

    Nero has to be one of the worst mass-distributed applications ever.
    It's even worse than Windows, which is hard to believe. Each version
    gets worse. I use Ver. 6 and it locks up so much that I can barely use
    it.

    --

    Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.

    Bob, Aug 22, 2006
  6. sherwindu

    sherwindu Guest

    I can't say Nero has ever locked up on me. What first impressed me about Nero
    was it's ability to erase re-writable CD's and DVD's, where other programs could
    not do it. Now, I am trying to figure out how I can combine several video files
    into
    a single continuous file to burn with Nero onto a DVD from my hard drive.

    Sherwin D.

    sherwindu, Aug 23, 2006
  7. sherwindu

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:38:16 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:25:50 -0500, sherwindu <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>should I not get a more descriptive error message from Nero?

    >LOL.
    >
    >You are lucky you got any kind of error message at all. Usually all
    >Nero does is lock up.
    >
    >Nero has to be one of the worst mass-distributed applications ever.
    >It's even worse than Windows, which is hard to believe. Each version
    >gets worse. I use Ver. 6 and it locks up so much that I can barely use
    >it.

    I use DVD shrink with AnyDVD running in background, latest version of
    anydvd posted periodically in ABWI-pc.0-day

    as far as Nero, it was a very good program before ver.6
    I run ver.5.5.10.56

    , Aug 23, 2006
  8. sherwindu

    sherwindu Guest

    wrote:

    > as far as Nero, it was a very good program before ver.6
    > I run ver.5.5.10.56

    I have run successive versions of Nero, and now have version 6.6
    and having no problems with it. What specifically went wrong with
    the version 6?

    sherwindu, Aug 24, 2006
  9. sherwindu

    sherwindu Guest

    I have been able to create 5 video files on my hard drive using DVD Decryptor.

    I ran Nero Vision and combined 5 of these video files into a single MPEG file of 2, 297
    MB on my hard drive. When I went
    to burn this with my Nero Program, it told me the file was not a compatible type. How
    can one Nero Program
    prepare a video file that another Nero Program does not recognize as a compatible type?

    Sherwin D.

    sherwindu, Aug 24, 2006
  10. sherwindu

    sherwindu Guest

    OK. I was finally able to burn this DVD using the Burn4Free program. I haven't had
    much experience burning CD's and DVD's, but this is the first time I have been able to
    overcome the copy barriers. Unfortunately, it took four or five different programs to
    extract
    the data to my hard drive, clean up the problems, resize the video, author or combine the
    resultant video files into a single one, and finally burn it to a DVD. I may be able to
    reduce
    this number in future burnings, as some of the programs are already installed on my hard
    drive and are automatically called up. There may be better programs which can combine
    all the steps into one program, but for now, I am sticking with what worked for me. I am
    sure as technology progresses, I will have to upgrade some of these programs to overcome
    new barriers. I will think twice about tackling this kind of project in the future, and
    only do
    so for things I really really need.

    Sherwin D.

    sherwindu, Aug 24, 2006