Problem changing network key

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by DougG, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. DougG

    DougG Guest

    Basic question: both XP and Dell's wireless tool are defaulting to an
    old password and to WEP. How can I convince them to default to WPA and
    to a new password?

    I have an e-tech [European brand] wireless router, Dell Inspiron 600m
    with a Dell 1350 WAN card, Windows XP Pro and all the latest drivers.

    All wired connections work fine, but I'm having trouble with the
    wireless connection.

    When I first set up the network, I used WEP (for no good reason except
    that I'm new to this, and it was the easiest one to set up). The
    wireless connection worked fine for the most part, but there were a few
    websites and a few applications that simply would not connect, or would
    have a very poor connection; everything else worked fine (so I could
    access other websites while one or two would hang) and those sites
    worked fine on a wired connection.

    A lot of searching didn't reveal any answers, but suggested that WEP
    might be to blame. So, I changed the security settings to WPA-PSK.
    Now, everything -- including the formerly inaccessible sites -- works
    perfectly.

    BUT - now I have a new problem. Both XP and Dell's wireless tool want
    to use the old WEP password, and seem to want to use the WEP protocol.
    If I remove all the networks, refresh, and redetect networks, I can
    generally convince either tool to accept the WPA password.

    How do I convince the tools to default to WPA and the new password?

    Thanks,

    Doug
    DougG, Apr 3, 2005