    files; I can burn CDs. Can't burn full DVDs like before.

    THANKS for any good suggestions.

    BN
    big note, Jun 19, 2007

  2. big note

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "big note" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9953C7F3A4870catskidyahoocom@66.250.146.128...
    >I feel honored when my Dell XPS system can burns a DVD...because it is so
    > rare. Sonic (now Roxio) came with the system. It did fine for a while
    > then became spotty at best. I downloaded a Roxio patch to make it
    > compatible with Windows Media Player 11. That did not help. I removed WMP
    > 11 and resorted to 10, to no avail. I downloaded DeepBurner....it worked
    > for the first DVD but now is spotty.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what is causing my DVD burns to fail? I can burn small
    > files; I can burn CDs. Can't burn full DVDs like before.
    >
    > THANKS for any good suggestions.

    I'd suggest you change brands of disc. And go to Dell's support website for
    your system to see if there are 1) software updates or 2) firmware updates
    for the drive: http://support.dell.com click on Drivers and Downloads
    (option 1), then "Choose by service tag" and enter your service tag number.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 19, 2007

  3. big note

    Plato Guest

    big note wrote:

    > I feel honored when my Dell XPS system can burns a DVD...because it is so
    > rare. Sonic (now Roxio) came with the system. It did fine for a while

    Try burning at a lower speed. I find that most useful when I distribute
    predonw CDs.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 19, 2007
  4. big note

    big note Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:46773759$1$173$:

    > big note wrote:
    >>
    >> I feel honored when my Dell XPS system can burns a DVD...because it
    >> is so rare. Sonic (now Roxio) came with the system. It did fine for
    >> a while

    > Try burning at a lower speed. I find that most useful when I
    > distribute predonw CDs.

    Thanks, I'll try that. But the question is WHY the system has developed
    a problem burning DVDs. I've tried different brands, different burning
    software, Sonic/Roxio patches,Dell patch releases, removing WMP 11, etc.
    But the full DVD burns fail. CD burns work fine, small DVD burns work
    pretty well.

    IDEAS?
    big note, Jun 19, 2007
  5. big note

    Plato Guest

    big note wrote:

    > >> I feel honored when my Dell XPS system can burns a DVD...because it
    > >> is so rare. Sonic (now Roxio) came with the system. It did fine for
    > >> a while

    > > Try burning at a lower speed. I find that most useful when I
    > > distribute predonw CDs.

    > Thanks, I'll try that. But the question is WHY the system has developed
    > a problem burning DVDs. I've tried different brands, different burning
    > software, Sonic/Roxio patches,Dell patch releases, removing WMP 11, etc.
    > But the full DVD burns fail. CD burns work fine, small DVD burns work
    > pretty well.

    Often your CDrom burner just starts to die out and fail.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 19, 2007
  6. big note

    Guest

    big note <> wrote:

    >I feel honored when my Dell XPS system can burns a DVD...because it is so
    >rare. Sonic (now Roxio) came with the system. It did fine for a while
    >then became spotty at best. I downloaded a Roxio patch to make it
    >compatible with Windows Media Player 11. That did not help. I removed WMP
    >11 and resorted to 10, to no avail. I downloaded DeepBurner....it worked
    >for the first DVD but now is spotty.
    >
    >Any suggestions on what is causing my DVD burns to fail? I can burn small
    >files; I can burn CDs. Can't burn full DVDs like before.

    >THANKS for any good suggestions.

    Or bad ones?

    I have read of all kinds of problems with Roxio software, try
    something else - but you have to remove every trace of Roxio.

    Might also try ForceASPI
    http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
    Kind of catch all.

    --
    Microsoft Will Help Deliver a "Better" Linux
    Remember Lindows?