    The guy from the manufacturer says only a complete drive wipe and Win XP
    reinstall will fix it. That I don't want to do. All ideas are welcomed.

    , Apr 29, 2004

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Here's the full story. When I got the new Win XP Home system, I used
    > ghosting software to bring application
    > software and settings from my older Win ME system. The older system had
    > an add-on external CD-RW drive
    > which came with Nero burner software.
    >
    > Unfortunately the Nero software also got transferred over to the new
    > system as well. It seems to have annointed
    > CD-ROM drive D as the CD-RW drive, and the real CD-RW drive E won't
    > write. I just get an error
    > message that there is no CD in the drive (because it is reading the
    > wrong unit.)
    >
    > I have uninstalled Nero but the problem remains. Reversing the drive
    > letters hasn't worked. Uninstalling each drive and rebooting Windows to
    > "rediscover" the drives also hasn't worked.
    >
    > The guy from the manufacturer says only a complete drive wipe and Win XP
    > reinstall will fix it. That I don't want to do. All ideas are welcomed.

    The tech support guy is probably right. You *can't* overlay applications
    from one OS on top of another OS. You can butcher things beyond repair.

    You need to get the new computer set up again, install your applications,
    then use the File And Settings Transfer Wizard to move your data, personal
    settings, etc.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2004