Problem booting with WinXP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ann ominus, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. ann ominus

    ann ominus Guest

    I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without any
    problems.
    Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat writer from
    ms word).
    This morning, I can't even boot up.
    I get this message:
    windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    I tried following the directions, but still can't get it to boot properly.
    For some reason, I can't change the boot sequence in my BIOS to have it look
    at the CDROM first.
    THe system keeps cycling through a boot up, but gets to the above message
    before loading windows and then starts again no matter what I do.
    I went to bootdisk.com to find an XP boot disk, and got a file which I think
    will install onto several floppies or maybe one CD. Is this the way to go?
    The only thing I have changed with this system lately is:
    1. A week ago I plugged a USB device - Mini Cruzer by SanDisk which crashed
    the system despite the device's proported 'backwards compatibility to USB
    1.' I then picked up a USB2 card and plugged it in a couple of days ago and
    the device seems to work... I think.
    2. I use EZ Firewall and I have a firewall on my router - connected to a
    high speed telephone modem. This firewall setup was causing issues with me
    transferring files to/from other computers on the network, so I shut down EZ
    Firewall to see how things changed. Not much better.
    Any idea what is going on?
    Any idea how I can fix it?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    THanks!
    A.O.

    ann ominus, Apr 19, 2004

  2. ann ominus

    ICee Guest

    ann ominus wrote:
    > I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without any
    > problems.
    > Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat
    > writer from ms word).
    > This morning, I can't even boot up.
    > I get this message:
    > windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt: \winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    >
    > You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using
    > the original Setup CD-ROM.
    > Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    > I tried following the directions, but still can't get it to boot
    > properly. For some reason, I can't change the boot sequence in my
    > BIOS to have it look at the CDROM first.
    > THe system keeps cycling through a boot up, but gets to the above
    > message before loading windows and then starts again no matter what I
    > do.
    > I went to bootdisk.com to find an XP boot disk, and got a file which
    > I think will install onto several floppies or maybe one CD. Is this
    > the way to go? The only thing I have changed with this system lately
    > is:
    > 1. A week ago I plugged a USB device - Mini Cruzer by SanDisk which
    > crashed the system despite the device's proported 'backwards
    > compatibility to USB
    > 1.' I then picked up a USB2 card and plugged it in a couple of days
    > ago and the device seems to work... I think.
    > 2. I use EZ Firewall and I have a firewall on my router - connected
    > to a high speed telephone modem. This firewall setup was causing
    > issues with me transferring files to/from other computers on the
    > network, so I shut down EZ Firewall to see how things changed. Not
    > much better.
    > Any idea what is going on?
    > Any idea how I can fix it?
    > Your help is greatly appreciated.
    > THanks!
    > A.O.

    This may help. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3546

    This link has instructions on performing a Windows XP repair install.

    ICee, Apr 19, 2004

  3. ann ominus

    Rifleman Guest

    "ann ominus" <> wrote in message
    > I've been running winXP corporate edition

    I didn't think there was such a version?

    Rifleman, Apr 19, 2004
  4. ann ominus

    The Prophecy Guest

    Rifleman wrote:
    > "ann ominus" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been running winXP corporate edition

    > I didn't think there was such a version?

    There is. It's really just Windows XP Pro, but it doesn't need to be
    activated.

    The Prophecy, Apr 19, 2004
  5. ann ominus

    Rifleman Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > Rifleman wrote:
    > > "ann ominus" <> wrote in message
    > >> I've been running winXP corporate edition

    > > I didn't think there was such a version?

    > There is. It's really just Windows XP Pro, but it doesn't need to be
    > activated.

    Ah, thanks.

    Rifleman, Apr 19, 2004
  6. ann ominus

    Yddap Guest

    In news:iZTgc.32277$,
    ann ominus <> opined:
    > I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without

    any
    > problems.
    > Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat

    writer from
    > ms word).
    > This morning, I can't even boot up.
    > I get this message:
    > windows could not start because the following file is missing or

    corrupt:
    > \winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    >
    > You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using

    the
    > original Setup CD-ROM.
    > Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    > I tried following the directions, but still can't get it to boot

    properly.
    > For some reason, I can't change the boot sequence in my BIOS to have

    it look
    > at the CDROM first.
    > THe system keeps cycling through a boot up, but gets to the above

    message
    > before loading windows and then starts again no matter what I do.
    > I went to bootdisk.com to find an XP boot disk, and got a file which

    I think
    > will install onto several floppies or maybe one CD. Is this the way

    to go?
    > The only thing I have changed with this system lately is:
    > 1. A week ago I plugged a USB device - Mini Cruzer by SanDisk which

    crashed
    > the system despite the device's proported 'backwards compatibility

    to USB
    > 1.' I then picked up a USB2 card and plugged it in a couple of days

    ago and
    > the device seems to work... I think.
    > 2. I use EZ Firewall and I have a firewall on my router - connected

    to a
    > high speed telephone modem. This firewall setup was causing issues

    with me
    > transferring files to/from other computers on the network, so I shut

    down EZ
    > Firewall to see how things changed. Not much better.
    > Any idea what is going on?
    > Any idea how I can fix it?
    > Your help is greatly appreciated.
    > THanks!
    > A.O.

    Sounds like a bad copy ? Which P2P prog did u use ?
    :-(

    Yddap

    Yddap, Apr 19, 2004
  7. ann ominus

    Martik Guest

    > For some reason, I can't change the boot sequence in my BIOS to have it
    look
    > at the CDROM first.

    Did you try pgup/pgdn to select?

    Try smartboot http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

    Martik, Apr 19, 2004
  8. ann ominus

    ann ominus Guest

    Actually, I have been using K-lite a little lately.
    So you think it's a virus from a download?
    AO

    ann ominus, Apr 19, 2004
  9. ann ominus

    ann ominus Guest

    yes, I did try that.
    thnx for the link. will give it a go.
    ann

    ann ominus, Apr 19, 2004
  10. ann ominus

    ann ominus Guest

    tried the dsl reports suggestion to no avail.
    Also tried the bootdisk.com XP pro repair (6 frickin' floppies later!) and
    it failed on the 4th floppy. said it was missing a file.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    I am about to extract the HD from that machine and try it in another to
    retrieve a few files since my last backup.
    thnx,
    ann

    ann ominus, Apr 19, 2004
  11. ann ominus

    Unk Guest

    If you have access to another Windows XP system, create a boot disk.
    1 - Place a floppy diskette in the computer.
    2 - Open My Computer and right click the A: drive and click Format.
    3 - In the Format window check "Create an MS-DOS startup disk".
    4 - Click Start
    This creates a Windows bootable floppy that natively "knows" an NTFS drive
    that already has an OS on it.
    The Floppy OS created is actually Windows ME v4.90.3000
    You can also get one here: http://www.bootdisk.com

    Boot up your computer with the boot disk in it.
    At the command prompt. "A:>", type:

    c:\

    now type:

    cd c:\winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    now type:

    ren system system.old

    now type:

    copy system.bak system

    That will make a system file from the backup copy.
    Remove the floppy and reboot. If there are no other major
    problems, the system should start normally.

    Unk, Apr 20, 2004