Problem Booting with WinXP (*Corporate Edition)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ann ominus, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. ann ominus

    ann ominus Guest

    I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without any
    problems. I hear it's like XP Pro, but with no need to register.
    Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat writer from
    ms word).
    This morning, I can't even boot up.
    I have had help here from XP Pro users and it hasn't helped b/c Corporate is
    a little different.
    I get this message:
    windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    I tried following the directions, but still can't get it to boot properly.
    There is no 'press F8' to get into setup like XP Pro.
    For some reason, I can't change the boot sequence in my BIOS to have it look
    at the CDROM first.
    THe system keeps cycling through a boot up, but gets to the above message
    before loading windows and then starts again no matter what I do.
    I went to bootdisk.com to find an XP boot disk, and got a XP Pro repair
    file...
    (6 frickin' floppies later!) and it failed on the 4th floppy. said it was
    missing a file.
    **Probably b/c the Corporate edition I am using is not the same as Pro.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    The only thing I have changed with this system lately is:
    1. A week ago I plugged a USB device - Mini Cruzer by SanDisk which crashed
    the system despite the device's proported 'backwards compatibility to USB
    1.' I then picked up a USB2 card and plugged it in a couple of days ago and
    the device seems to work... I think.
    2. I use EZ Firewall and I have a firewall on my router - connected to a
    high speed telephone modem. This firewall setup was causing issues with me
    transferring files to/from other computers on the network, so I shut down EZ
    Firewall to see how things changed. Not much better.
    3. Ok, I admit it... I have been doing a little P2P downloading of late!
    But, I am hopeful that EZ Antivirus would pick up viruses coming at me as it
    has in the past.
    Any idea what is going on?
    Any idea how I can fix it?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    THanks!
    A.O.

    ann ominus, Apr 23, 2004

  2. ann ominus

    Boomer Guest

    "ann ominus" <> wrote in

    > I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without
    > any problems. I hear it's like XP Pro, but with no need to
    > register. Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and
    > acrobat writer from ms word).
    > This morning, I can't even boot up.
    > I have had help here from XP Pro users and it hasn't helped b/c
    > Corporate is a little different.

    You might want to ask at this group also.

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

    Boomer, Apr 23, 2004

  3. ann ominus

    Seijaku Guest

    Sounds like a virus to Me, to be honest... To be honest, I'd always
    recommend using a 'main-stream' virus checker.. Norton, or some such.
    Something that has a big reputation.

    - Seijaku.

    Seijaku, Apr 23, 2004
  4. ann ominus

    ann ominus Guest

    Thanks for the advice Seijaku.
    I have used Norton and McAfee in the past and have been very unimpressed
    with how they affected system performance. BLOATware would be an
    understatement for Norton/Symantec.
    EZAntivirus is 'main stream,' but cheaper and less of a resource hog. It is
    managed by Computer Associates, which is one of the larges global software
    companies, whether that's good or bad.
    thanks,
    ao

    ann ominus, Apr 23, 2004
  5. ann ominus

    ImhoTech Guest

    "ann ominus" <> wrote in message
    > I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without any
    > problems. I hear it's like XP Pro, but with no need to register.
    > Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat writer

    from
    > ms word).
    > This morning, I can't even boot up.
    > I have had help here from XP Pro users and it hasn't helped b/c Corporate

    is
    > a little different.
    > I get this message:
    > windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    >
    > You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    > original Setup CD-ROM.
    > Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

    You tried to "follow the directions" but you haven't booted from the cdrom
    yet? Then you're still at step 1, you have evn begun to follow the
    directions. Set the cdrom as first boot device, disable the HDD as boot
    device entirely. Then you can boot from the cdrom. Not enough to just set
    the cdrom as first boot device on some systems.

    ImhoTech, Apr 23, 2004
  6. ann ominus

    Ron Martell Guest

    "ann ominus" <> wrote:

    >I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without any
    >problems. I hear it's like XP Pro, but with no need to register.
    >Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat writer from
    >ms word).
    >This morning, I can't even boot up.
    >I have had help here from XP Pro users and it hasn't helped b/c Corporate is
    >a little different.
    >I get this message:
    >windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    >\winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307545
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=307545

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Apr 23, 2004
  7. Re: Problem Booting with WinXP (*Corporate Edition)
    By: "ann ominus" <> to 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Fri Apr 23 2004 12:46 pm

    > I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without any
    > problems. I hear it's like XP Pro, but with no need to register.
    > Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat writer from
    > ms word).
    > I have had help here from XP Pro users and it hasn't helped b/c Corporate is
    > a little different.
    > I get this message:

    That, or they just down-right didn't know what to do....
    > windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    Sounds like you trashed off a good portion of Window's configuration
    files, and your best bet is to re-install Windows/XP. If you have
    the option, upgrade, most likely you'll have to re-install Windows/XP
    new, re-install all software, etc. You don't need to re-format the
    hard drive, but you will need to re-install all software, including
    Windows/XP.

    You'd think that if you paid the kind of money for Windows/XP Corp. Edition
    , you'd be able to get tech. support from Microsoft, unless your pirating a
    copy of it....

    > I tried following the directions, but still can't get it to boot properly.
    > There is no 'press F8' to get into setup like XP Pro.

    Those directions are great for a few minor problems, otherwise, they
    just tell you what to do when the camels come flying back in upside down.

    > I went to bootdisk.com to find an XP boot disk, and got a XP Pro repair
    > file...

    Could be your CD is un-readable, could be you didn't properly setup the
    settings like you thought, could be you didn't save the changes, or
    you might not have hit the any key when it told you "Press any key to boot
    from cd-rom"

    > (6 frickin' floppies later!) and it failed on the 4th floppy. said it was
    > missing a file.
    > **Probably b/c the Corporate edition I am using is not the same as Pro.

    Most likely it was because the FLOPPY DISKETTE was bad, as the Boot Disk
    are the same amoung versions....

    > 3. Ok, I admit it... I have been doing a little P2P downloading of late!
    > But, I am hopeful that EZ Antivirus would pick up viruses coming at me as it
    > has in the past.

    A wild guess, I'd say some punk kid loaded you up with the Bo Trojan,
    or a similiar program, downloaded all the crap that you had on your
    system, perhaps even your passwords you used for your ISP, e-mail,
    and any online web sites (including your bank account), then trashed
    off your config directory such that your computer doesn't re-boot.

    The good news is, now that your computer isn't booting up, you don't
    have to worry about it sending information to all kinds of companies,
    including Microsoft, telling them all the software your using, including
    the pirated copy of Windows/XP and probably Office/XP....

    > Any idea what is going on?
    > Any idea how I can fix it?

    Yeah, go out and buy a Legal Copy of Windows/XP, re-boot from that CD,
    install it, and then go online with all the known virus scanners online,
    and scan your hard drive on each one. I did this once after re-installing
    XP, and it once took about 2 weeks of virus scanning to get my system
    clean againe.... Afterwards, I'll be damn if I'm going to re-intall
    any P2P software.... I had viruses that without re-installing any
    software, just the OS, re-appeared after installing XP! They
    disabled my virus scanner and updating, dropped the firewall without
    me knowing it...
    --- Synchronet 3.11b-Win32 NewsLink 1.73
    * MLC Group - Westlake, LA - telnet://mlc-group.dyndns.org

    John Guillory, Apr 23, 2004
  8. ann ominus

    Ava Keech Guest

    >This morning, I can't even boot up.
    >For some reason, I can't change the boot sequence in my BIOS to have it look
    >at the CDROM first.

    A problems like this is why I copy my OS CD to my hard drive so I can easily
    reinstall if the need arises.

    Ava Keech, Apr 24, 2004
  9. ann ominus

    hugh jass Guest

    And how could you access that if your computer wasn't booting?

    hugh jass, Apr 24, 2004
  10. ann ominus

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:46:49 -0400, ann ominus wrote:

    >I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without any
    >problems. I hear it's like XP Pro, but with no need to register.
    >Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and acrobat writer from
    >ms word).
    >This morning, I can't even boot up.
    >I have had help here from XP Pro users and it hasn't helped b/c Corporate is
    >a little different.

    It's not that different, the msg you get has been there since NT 4
    (can't recall ever getting that error on NT3.x but I didn't use it more
    than a few months)

    >I get this message:
    >windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    >\winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    It a broken system registry hive.

    >You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    >original Setup CD-ROM.
    >Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

    It helps to have a backup of the registry files. Without this it's
    really a lost cause. If there is a backup in the repair folder it may be
    very old.

    >I tried following the directions, but still can't get it to boot properly.
    >There is no 'press F8' to get into setup like XP Pro.

    If you could boot from CD, IIRC pressing F2 for Automated System
    Recovery may be more in the line of what you are looking for.

    >For some reason, I can't change the boot sequence in my BIOS to have it look
    >at the CDROM first.

    You can't change it or it doesn't have that option?

    >THe system keeps cycling through a boot up, but gets to the above message
    >before loading windows and then starts again no matter what I do.

    It will always keep doing the same thing.

    The usual fix for this is a reformat and reinstall.

    What you could try is , installing another hardisk as the master, making
    the old one a slave (leave it (old one) disconnected for now) install XP
    on new disk. Get that up and running. Put the old disk back in, run a
    chkdsk on it (maybe if possible before that, copy any data files you
    need to the new disk first). If you have a CD/DVD writable drive, use
    something like Symantec Gost to backup the old disk first.

    <snip>

    http://support.microsoft.com/ select the search by KB article.

    Knowledge Base
    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the
    C:\windows\system32\config\system File is Missing or Corrupt
    PSS ID Number: 823614
    Article Last Modified on 11/12/2003
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    Knowledge Base
    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    PSS ID Number: 307545
    Article Last Modified on 12/15/2003
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

    Knowledge Base
    How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error
    PSS ID Number: 314874
    Article Last Modified on 11/4/2003
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

    Me

    why?, Apr 24, 2004
  11. Ron Martell <> wrote in

    >> I've been running winXP corporate edition for over a year without
    >> any problems. I hear it's like XP Pro, but with no need to
    >> register. Last night, I had some problems with software (mail and
    >> acrobat writer from ms word).
    >> This morning, I can't even boot up.
    >> I have had help here from XP Pro users and it hasn't helped b/c
    >> Corporate is a little different.
    >> I get this message:
    >> windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    >> corrupt: \winnt\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    >>

    > How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP
    > from Starting
    > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307545
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=307545

    This procedure will restore your system but if you read the KB article,
    it will not work if you have an OEM-installed operating system. If
    this is your case (and even if it isn't), the best way to get back up
    is to boot your computer from a BartPE CD and simply copy the files
    from their backup location in "c:\system volume information" to your
    config directory as described in the above KB article (essentially
    combining Parts 1 thru 3). BartPE is free and may be found at:
    <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Apr 24, 2004
  12. why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    >> You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
    >> using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    >> Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

    > It helps to have a backup of the registry files. Without this it's
    > really a lost cause. If there is a backup in the repair folder it
    > may be very old.

    In Windows XP, there are usually lots of recent registry backups stored
    as restore points in the hidden directory c:\System Volume Information
    (as is described in KB article #307545). The trick is accessing them
    with a non-booting system. BartPE can do this handily, but you must be
    able to boot from a CD...
    <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/>

    Good Luck,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Apr 24, 2004
  13. ann ominus

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:59:34 -0700, John Wunderlich wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >
    >>> You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
    >>> using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    >>> Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

    >> It helps to have a backup of the registry files. Without this it's
    >> really a lost cause. If there is a backup in the repair folder it
    >> may be very old.
    >>

    >In Windows XP, there are usually lots of recent registry backups stored
    >as restore points in the hidden directory c:\System Volume Information

    <snip>

    Why tell me, I don't have the problem.

    >Good Luck,
    > John