Problem: BIOS or hardware??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by de_meun@yahoo.com, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi folks. My desktop has just died, in the sense of not being able to
    boot up, and I thought someone here might have a word of advice on
    whether it's a situation of "call in Geeks on Wheels", or if it's "take
    it to a tech because it needs new parts".

    The annoying thing is that the whole machine is three weeks outside its
    warranty period. Bah, humbug.

    My barely-existent expertise suggests to me that it's either a BIOS
    problem or hardware, but I can't get far enough in the boot process to
    figure out which. Set-up is:

    Athlon 64 3500+
    GeForce 6600GT 128 MB
    1 GB RAM (don't know specific type of the top of my head, sorry)
    200 GB HDD (ditto)
    integrated sound
    Configuration has been as above, unchanged, since I bought it (a year
    and two weeks ago :-( )

    Symptoms:

    Booting Windows XP SP2:
    Windows splash screen with moving bar appears. Then screen goes dead,
    and computer reboots. This happens ad infinitum. (The symptoms are
    vaguely similar to those described at
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=109333, but with
    differences.)

    Booting Windows with safe mode, last known configuration, safe mode
    with command line, etc.:
    Screen goes dead and computer reboots, or else it gets to the log-in
    screen and when I click on my account to log on, the screen goes dead
    and computer reboots.

    Booting Knoppix 3.3 (sorry, don't have a newer version):
    After a certain point in the text boot messages, the following two
    messages cycle ad infinitum:
    <quote>
    hub.c: Cannot enable port 5 of hub 1, disabling port.
    hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?
    hub.c: Cannot enable port 6 of hub 1, disabling port.
    hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?
    </quote>
    (NB: no USB devices are plugged in.)

    Booting Knoppix 3.3 with "knoppix failsafe" or "knoppix noapic":
    Reaches Knoppix splash screen then either (a) freezes; pressing
    ctrl-alt-F1 returns to the text boot messages with the same messages as
    above cycling, ad infinitum; or (b) reaches the splash screen but then
    automatically goes back to text boot messages with the same error
    messages cycling.

    Booting Knoppix 3.3 with "knoppix failsafe noapic":
    Produces a somewhat different result. The "autoconfiguring devices"
    progress bar gets to the end of the screen then hangs for a while.
    Eventually this message appears:
    <quote>
    Warning: Autodetection seems to hang.
    Please check your computer's BIOS settings.
    </quote>
    Knoppix splash screen then appears, X starts, but then hangs just after
    mouse cursor turns into the 'X' logo.

    What do folks think? Call someone in, or take it to someone? I'm in
    Wgtn FWIW. (If anyone's interested, I can post the details of BIOS
    settings that I've found but don't understand.)

    Cheers, and thanks if you've got any advice (even if it's to tell me
    I'm a blithering idiot, since it's probably true).

    , Sep 20, 2006

  2. Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news:1158735525.181100.71270
    @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

    > Booting Knoppix 3.3 (sorry, don't have a newer version):
    > After a certain point in the text boot messages, the following two
    > messages cycle ad infinitum:
    > <quote>
    > hub.c: Cannot enable port 5 of hub 1, disabling port.
    > hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?
    > hub.c: Cannot enable port 6 of hub 1, disabling port.
    > hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?
    > </quote>
    > (NB: no USB devices are plugged in.)

    Sounds like a hardware problem. Go into Bios and disable the USB
    controller if you can.
    Try Knoppix again.

    DID KNOPPIX WORK BEFORE? If yes, this eliminated all windows problems as a
    possible cause!

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Craig Sutton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks. My desktop has just died, in the sense of not being able to
    > boot up, and I thought someone here might have a word of advice on
    > whether it's a situation of "call in Geeks on Wheels", or if it's "take
    > it to a tech because it needs new parts".
    >
    > The annoying thing is that the whole machine is three weeks outside its
    > warranty period. Bah, humbug.

    You are still covered take it back to be fixed.

    Craig Sutton, Sep 20, 2006
  4. ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
> [...]
    > messages cycling.
    >
    > Booting Knoppix 3.3 with "knoppix failsafe noapic":
    > Produces a somewhat different result. The "autoconfiguring devices"
    > progress bar gets to the end of the screen then hangs for a while.
    > Eventually this message appears:
    > <quote>
    > Warning: Autodetection seems to hang.
    > Please check your computer's BIOS settings.
    > </quote>
    > Knoppix splash screen then appears, X starts, but then hangs just
    > after mouse cursor turns into the 'X' logo.
    >
    > What do folks think? Call someone in, or take it to someone? I'm in
    > Wgtn FWIW. (If anyone's interested, I can post the details of BIOS
    > settings that I've found but don't understand.)
    >
    > Cheers, and thanks if you've got any advice (even if it's to tell me
    > I'm a blithering idiot, since it's probably true).

    Looks like failing power supply to me. (Or power filtering caps on the mobo)
    It was probably only just barely big enough to start with and now is
    dropping below rated output.

    Perhaps raising vcore a little will help? If it does it's only a temporary
    "help". Replace PSU with a good quality one ASAP.

    Good luck.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Petrushka Guest

    Thanks all for suggestions/comments. I'd hoped it was a hardware
    problem, actually, mainly because I'd be extremely embarrassed if I'd
    somehow picked up a BIOS virus :)

    I'll try Dave's suggestion.

    Craig, when you said

    > You are still covered take it back to be fixed.

    what did you mean?? I'd have thought it would only be a very generous
    supplier who would still cover hardware after the end of the warranty
    period, even if it's only by two or three weeks.

    Cheers all
    P.

    Petrushka, Sep 20, 2006
  6. ~misfit~ Guest

    Petrushka wrote:
    > Thanks all for suggestions/comments. I'd hoped it was a hardware
    > problem, actually, mainly because I'd be extremely embarrassed if I'd
    > somehow picked up a BIOS virus :)
    >
    > I'll try Dave's suggestion.
    >
    > Craig, when you said
    >
    > > You are still covered take it back to be fixed.

    > what did you mean?? I'd have thought it would only be a very generous
    > supplier who would still cover hardware after the end of the warranty
    > period, even if it's only by two or three weeks.

    CGA.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 20, 2006
  7. thingy Guest

    wrote:
> [...]
    > messages cycling.
    >
    > Booting Knoppix 3.3 with "knoppix failsafe noapic":
    > Produces a somewhat different result. The "autoconfiguring devices"
    > progress bar gets to the end of the screen then hangs for a while.
    > Eventually this message appears:
    > <quote>
    > Warning: Autodetection seems to hang.
    > Please check your computer's BIOS settings.
    > </quote>
    > Knoppix splash screen then appears, X starts, but then hangs just after
    > mouse cursor turns into the 'X' logo.
    >
    > What do folks think? Call someone in, or take it to someone? I'm in
    > Wgtn FWIW. (If anyone's interested, I can post the details of BIOS
    > settings that I've found but don't understand.)
    >
    > Cheers, and thanks if you've got any advice (even if it's to tell me
    > I'm a blithering idiot, since it's probably true).

    I would not say bios unless you have changed something. ie some bios
    settings could cause it but only if you changed the bios.....

    Open case see if heat sink has fallen off graphics card...then check CPU
    sink....

    Though I'd suspect a bad video driver myself....did you just update XP?
    MS's "certified video drivers" are crap IMHO.....

    Go into bios and set to failsafe or similar, try booting.

    To prove it is hardware or software you could download an iso of a "boot
    linux off a cd distro" this will run totally off the cd right into
    graphics mode. If this succeeds its a software issue or bios setting
    issue....not hardware....(I dont think it is at the moment....)

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 20, 2006
  8. Brendan Guest

    On 19 Sep 2006 23:58:45 -0700, wrote:

    > What do folks think? Call someone in, or take it to someone? I'm in
    > Wgtn FWIW. (If anyone's interested, I can post the details of BIOS
    > settings that I've found but don't understand.)
    >
    > Cheers, and thanks if you've got any advice (even if it's to tell me
    > I'm a blithering idiot, since it's probably true).

    I'd be looking at the power supply, they are good at causing this sort of
    problem when they are dying. But read the other suggestions as well.
    Process of elimination now...

    You are not a 'Blithering idiot'. You are a SLOBERING idiot. With some
    training and a bit of experience you may become a BLITHERING idiot in the
    future.

    JOKING! lol

    --

    .... Brendan

    A man takes his Rotteweiller to the vet.
    "My dog's cross-eyed, is there anything you can do for him?"
    "Well," says the vet, "let's have a look at him"
    So he picks the dog up and examines his eyes, then checks his teeth.
    Finally, he says, "I'm going to have to put him down."
    "What? Because he's cross-eyed? ""No, because he's really heavy"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 21/09/2006 9:47:31 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 20, 2006
  9. Jack Hammond Guest

    On 19 Sep 2006 23:58:45 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi folks. My desktop has just died, in the sense of not being able to
    >boot up, and I thought someone here might have a word of advice on
    >whether it's a situation of "call in Geeks on Wheels", or if it's "take
    >it to a tech because it needs new parts".
    >
    >The annoying thing is that the whole machine is three weeks outside its
    >warranty period. Bah, humbug.

    That is no such thing as its covered by the C.G.A.

    Jack Hammond, Sep 20, 2006
  10. Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:27:43 +1200, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
    exclaimed:

    >On 19 Sep 2006 23:58:45 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Hi folks. My desktop has just died, in the sense of not being able to
    >>boot up, and I thought someone here might have a word of advice on
    >>whether it's a situation of "call in Geeks on Wheels", or if it's "take
    >>it to a tech because it needs new parts".
    >>
    >>The annoying thing is that the whole machine is three weeks outside its
    >>warranty period. Bah, humbug.

    >That is no such thing as its covered by the C.G.A.

    It's amazing how many people claim this, but it is, in fact, not true.

    The CGA simply states that it must work for a "reasonable" period.
    Granted, 1 year warranties on full systems probably doesn't meet this
    test, but the OP may have had a 2 or 3 year warranty, that may well be
    regarded as "reasonable".

    The CGA does NOT provide for a non expiring warranty on computers
    forever.

    Fred Dagg, Sep 21, 2006
  11. Petrushka Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Petrushka wrote:
    > > Craig, when you said
    > >
    > > > You are still covered take it back to be fixed.

    > > what did you mean?? I'd have thought it would only be a very generous
    > > supplier who would still cover hardware after the end of the warranty
    > > period, even if it's only by two or three weeks.

    > CGA.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Hmm, again showing my ignorance, but presumably that applies only if
    the part was faulty to begin with. From what I read from the Ministry
    of Consumer Affairs' documentation,

    "There is no time limit set by the Consumer Guarantees Act for
    customers making a claim for a problem to be put right. If goods fail
    to meet one of the guarantees the customer can ask you to put it right
    even though it may be some time since they purchased the goods."

    I guess this is the scenario being suggested. To take a devil's
    advocate position for a moment: if I've been using the product
    regularly since I bought it and it lasted the year that the supplier
    said it would, the supplier can validly claim the product was durable
    enough to satisfy the criterion that the product was "acceptable" and
    met the "guarantees for goods", and therefore their obligations under
    the CGA have been met. Are there nuances, or aspects of standard
    practice, that I'm missing?

    Cheers

    Petrushka, Sep 21, 2006
  12. Earl Grey Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:27:43 +1200, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> On 19 Sep 2006 23:58:45 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks. My desktop has just died, in the sense of not being able to
    >>> boot up, and I thought someone here might have a word of advice on
    >>> whether it's a situation of "call in Geeks on Wheels", or if it's "take
    >>> it to a tech because it needs new parts".
    >>>
    >>> The annoying thing is that the whole machine is three weeks outside its
    >>> warranty period. Bah, humbug.

    >> That is no such thing as its covered by the C.G.A.

    > It's amazing how many people claim this,

    They are all actually Woger aliases.

    Earl Grey, Sep 21, 2006
  13. Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:20:49 +1200, Earl Grey <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:27:43 +1200, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
    >> exclaimed:

    >>> That is no such thing as its covered by the C.G.A.

    >> It's amazing how many people claim this,

    >They are all actually Woger aliases.

    That would explain it...

    Fred Dagg, Sep 21, 2006
  14. ~misfit~ Guest

    Petrushka wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Petrushka wrote:
    > > > Craig, when you said

    > > > what did you mean?? I'd have thought it would only be a very
    > > > generous supplier who would still cover hardware after the end of
    > > > the warranty period, even if it's only by two or three weeks.

    > > CGA.
    > > --
    > > Shaun.

    > Hmm, again showing my ignorance, but presumably that applies only if
    > the part was faulty......

    Or maybe exremely poor-quality?

    > to begin with. From what I read from the Ministry
    > of Consumer Affairs' documentation,
    >
    > "There is no time limit set by the Consumer Guarantees Act for
    > customers making a claim for a problem to be put right. If goods fail
    > to meet one of the guarantees the customer can ask you to put it right
    > even though it may be some time since they purchased the goods."
    >
    > I guess this is the scenario being suggested. To take a devil's
    > advocate position for a moment: if I've been using the product
    > regularly since I bought it and it lasted the year that the supplier
    > said it would, the supplier can validly claim the product was durable
    > enough to satisfy the criterion that the product was "acceptable" and
    > met the "guarantees for goods", and therefore their obligations under
    > the CGA have been met. Are there nuances, or aspects of standard
    > practice, that I'm missing?

    Yes.

    The CGA says (paraphrasing here) that goods must last a reasonable time,
    commesurate with the money paid for them, and last as long as similar goods
    could be expected to last. One year simply isn't a reasonable life-span of a
    new computer that I'm assuming you spent $1K+ on. It is for this reason that
    I (largely) ignore 'warranty' periods. That period only lets you know how
    long they'll repair/replace an item for with few hassles. I'd say that,
    unless you paid significantly less than the PC was actually worth (compared
    with other, similar-specced PCs at the time), the CGA would cover you for
    approximately 28 months.

    I have had success with getting parts replaced outside of the warranty
    period simply by invoking the CGA. However, the trick is, the retailer *has*
    to believe that you will actually go through with it if they don't play
    fair. Make them believe that it's a matter of principle. So what if it'll
    possibly cost you more than fixing it yourself? (Perhaps get them to
    troubleshoot and quote first, then hit them with the CGA?).

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2006
  15. Jack Hammond Guest

    On 20 Sep 2006 16:12:54 -0700, "Petrushka" <> wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Petrushka wrote:
    >> > Craig, when you said

    >> > what did you mean?? I'd have thought it would only be a very generous
    >> > supplier who would still cover hardware after the end of the warranty
    >> > period, even if it's only by two or three weeks.

    >> CGA.
    >> --
    >> Shaun.

    >Hmm, again showing my ignorance, but presumably that applies only if
    >the part was faulty to begin with. From what I read from the Ministry
    >of Consumer Affairs' documentation,
    >
    >"There is no time limit set by the Consumer Guarantees Act for
    >customers making a claim for a problem to be put right. If goods fail
    >to meet one of the guarantees the customer can ask you to put it right
    >even though it may be some time since they purchased the goods."
    >
    >I guess this is the scenario being suggested. To take a devil's
    >advocate position for a moment: if I've been using the product
    >regularly since I bought it and it lasted the year that the supplier
    >said it would, the supplier can validly claim the product was durable
    >enough to satisfy the criterion that the product was "acceptable" and
    >met the "guarantees for goods", and therefore their obligations under
    >the CGA have been met. Are there nuances, or aspects of standard
    >practice, that I'm missing?
    >
    >Cheers

    Totally Wrong, a PC should last some 5 years or more..

    A one year warranty is utter crap, I have had a 2.5 year old Scanner replaced by HP because of
    problems..

    Don't get dicked around fight it, it will cost you some time and $20, but you must first write to
    the dealer and ask him what he intends to do about it, if not I suggest that if he does not come to
    the party, then write again stating that you will take the matter up with the G.C.A. if you do not
    get a favorable reply say within 2 weeks..

    Please if you do phone only do it once, do every thing in writing to cover your self..

    Don't forget most parts inside the case could even have longer manufactures warrantees, but dealers
    short change you, as they do not want to bother, I have a PSU that has 3 years printed on the Box,
    the dealer only gives 1 year, I contacted the Commerce Commission about this and they stated that
    the dealer must uphold the warrantee that is printed on the Box..

    Jack Hammond, Sep 21, 2006
  16. In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > The CGA does NOT provide for a non expiring warranty on computers
    > forever.

    Nobody said it did.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2006
  17. Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:03:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> The CGA does NOT provide for a non expiring warranty on computers
    >> forever.

    >Nobody said it did.

    Some people seem to think it does, though.

    Fred Dagg, Sep 21, 2006