Problem: Award BIOS, hard-disk access mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Sep 29, 2007.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    For 160 GB SATA HDD

    The choices are CHS, LBA, Large, Auto

    "Auto" setting gives the same number in the table following as does
    CHS, so one presumes that the HD is being used in CHS mode when the
    setting is Auto.

    But the drive itself says to use LBA mode

    The PC has always been rather slow (core 2 Duo E6600) so I'm wondering
    if the HD is the bottleneck?

    You thoughts please

    TIA
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Jimmy Dean wrote:

    > For 160 GB SATA HDD
    >
    > The choices are CHS, LBA, Large, Auto
    >
    > "Auto" setting gives the same number in the table following as does
    > CHS, so one presumes that the HD is being used in CHS mode when the
    > setting is Auto.
    >
    > But the drive itself says to use LBA mode
    >
    > The PC has always been rather slow (core 2 Duo E6600) so I'm wondering
    > if the HD is the bottleneck?

    "LBA" for drives <137G (1024 notation), "auto" is mandatory for any bigger
    drive since it should support lba48 as well.
    Anyways, when the drive is detected with correct size, that shouldn't have
    influence on speed.
    Check for pio or dma/udma settings, make sure you have installed the proper
    chipset drivers.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 29, 2007