    my background image but not the menu bar, desktop icons, or anything else. I
    can Ctrl-Alt-Del to open new tasks but I cannot open Internet Explorer or
    most programs, Microsoft office programs do work though along with printing.

    =?Utf-8?B?YWxleGFuZGVyYnJlcw==?=, Apr 27, 2007

  2. It would probably help if you indicated whether this is on WinXP x64, Win
    Server x64 or Vista x64

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Apr 27, 2007

  3. What did you do just before this problem showed up?

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 27, 2007
  4. RE: Problem after signing in Desktop, Start Menu, and icons do not

    -Sorry I thoguht this was the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition section of
    the forums.

    -Before the problem showed up I was using Internet Explorer and Microsoft
    Word.

    =?Utf-8?B?YWxleGFuZGVyYnJlcw==?=, Apr 27, 2007
  5. Re: Problem after signing in Desktop, Start Menu, and icons do not

    We support both servers and clients, including IA64. As you have now
    noticed, "XP" is not in the title of the newsgroup.

    Have you tried system restore? If that has not helped, try starting the
    computer at the boot options screen and choose Last Known Good
    Configuration. I reach that on my box by pressing F8 during startup but
    your machine may differ. You may have received an update around the time
    you were working in IE and Word. I have had that happen with an Avast!
    program update just a couple of days ago and it messed up my XP x64 box in a
    similar way. The last resort would be a Repair Install, but don't make that
    your first option. You may have recently installed SP2 and if so you would
    have difficulties doing a Repair Install unless you just happened to have
    made a slipstreamed copy of XP Pro x64 with SP2 already.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 28, 2007