Problem acquiring Network Address after disabling

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lynn W, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Lynn W

    Lynn W Guest

    After installing SP2 whenever I disconnected my wireless card and then
    plugged it back in again it couldn't acquire a network address unless I
    restarted computer with the card connected in slot. I rang Belkin and
    they advised that I uninstalled the wireless card and then re-installed
    it as very often installing SP2 it corrupts the drivers of the Network
    Card.
    I have done this and the problem still persists plus now it says
    Wireless Network Connection 2. Don't understand where the '2' has come
    from being as I thought I had uninstalled the other one. I removed it
    through Add/Remove Programme facility. I am using a Belkin F5D7010
    Version 3000uk. Windows XP HE SP2 on Toshiba laptop.
    Can anyone give me any advice on this please. Did I not do the uninstall
    correctly? Anyone know why I have the problem after disconnecting card.
    Belkin also advised me to use their software rather than letting Windows
    configure my Wireless Network. Would I have been better letting Windows
    do it? Normally I would usually prefer to use the manufacturers
    software
    but perhaps this isn't the case after SP2!
    Should I just do a System Restore.
    Thanks for any help.

    --
    Lynn
    Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
    Lynn W, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Lynn W

    Lynn W Guest

    I have just found something out, after I disconnect the card then
    re-connect it when looking at the utility it is coming back on with
    Encryption enabled. I have it set up to use No Encryption. Once I went
    back into Configure the No Encryption was highlighted but I clicked on
    it again and then clicked apply and it immediately connected. I have No
    Encryption set up because my son has set this up so that my router/card
    only talk to each other.
    Is there a way to stop it putting Encryption on when I have already set
    it to none. It doesn't put encryption on from a reboot.

    --
    "Lynn W" <> wrote in message
[...]
    :
    :
    : --
    Lynn W, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Lynn W

    Malke Guest

    Lynn W wrote:

    > I have just found something out, after I disconnect the card then
    > re-connect it when looking at the utility it is coming back on with
    > Encryption enabled. I have it set up to use No Encryption. Once I
    > went back into Configure the No Encryption was highlighted but I
    > clicked on
    > it again and then clicked apply and it immediately connected. I have
    > No Encryption set up because my son has set this up so that my
    > router/card only talk to each other.
    > Is there a way to stop it putting Encryption on when I have already
    > set
    > it to none. It doesn't put encryption on from a reboot.

    Frankly, the smarter thing to do would be to enable encryption. Wireless
    connections are "in the air" and so it may not be only *your* router
    that is talking to *your* wireless network adapter; neighbors and
    not-so-nice people have access to your network and your bandwidth as it
    now stands. It is like leaving your house unlocked and the door wide
    open.

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Lynn W

    Lynn W Guest

    I don't think that is right, as I understand it my Router will only talk
    to my wireless card, nobody else's.

    --
    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    : Lynn W wrote:
    :
    : > I have just found something out, after I disconnect the card then
    : > re-connect it when looking at the utility it is coming back on with
    : > Encryption enabled. I have it set up to use No Encryption. Once I
    : > went back into Configure the No Encryption was highlighted but I
    : > clicked on
    : > it again and then clicked apply and it immediately connected. I
    have
    : > No Encryption set up because my son has set this up so that my
    : > router/card only talk to each other.
    : > Is there a way to stop it putting Encryption on when I have already
    : > set
    : > it to none. It doesn't put encryption on from a reboot.
    : >
    : Frankly, the smarter thing to do would be to enable encryption.
    Wireless
    : connections are "in the air" and so it may not be only *your* router
    : that is talking to *your* wireless network adapter; neighbors and
    : not-so-nice people have access to your network and your bandwidth as
    it
    : now stands. It is like leaving your house unlocked and the door wide
    : open.
    :
    : Wireless - Basic Configuration -
    : http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    : Wireless - Basic Security -
    : MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
    :
    : Malke
    : --
    Lynn W, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Lynn W

    Malke Guest

    Lynn W wrote:

    > I don't think that is right, as I understand it my Router will only
    > talk to my wireless card, nobody else's.

    You understand incorrectly. Your son may have done MAC address
    filtering, but this will not keep intruders out.

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    Malke
    Malke, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Lynn W

    Lynn W Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    : Lynn W wrote:
    :
    : > I don't think that is right, as I understand it my Router will only
    : > talk to my wireless card, nobody else's.
    : >
    : You understand incorrectly. Your son may have done MAC address
    : filtering, but this will not keep intruders out.
    :
    : The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    : http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
    :
    : Malke
    : --
    : Elephant Boy Computers
    : www.elephantboycomputers.com
    : "Don't Panic!"
    : MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Well I thought that surely my firewall keeps them off my PC and the MAC
    address filtering stops any attempted outbound connections through my
    router.

    Lynn W, Jan 17, 2006