Problem accessing my Network

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by r49miner, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. r49miner

    r49miner Guest

    I am experiencing a very frustrating problem and would like a little help
    directing me to the proper news group, or helping resolve the problem. My
    network is not working and I would appreciate some help isolating the
    problem.

    I have three computers on the network. One has just developed a problem of
    not being able to send or receive E-mail or accessing the internet. When I
    try and use Microsft Explorer to access the internet I get an error message,
    Web Page Unavailable While Working Offline, To View This Page Click Connect.
    I click on view this page and receive another error message. No Connection
    To The Internet is Currently Available. To View Internet Content That Has
    Been Saved On Your Computer, Click Work Offline. My options are to Click to
    TRY AGAIN To Attempt Connect. WORK OFFLINE or TRY AGAIN. By selecting TRY
    AGAIN I get
    THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED, however, when I delete the message sometimes
    I get my home page, which is Yahoo. When I type in a URL and send I get
    another error message. I delete the message and it goes to that URL, but
    each time I access a page I get an error message.

    As for E-mail it just flat out won't let me send or receive.

    My computer has :
    1.. 800MHz, Intel 2.8 512KB Socket 478 P4 Microprocessor
    2.. Gigabyte GA-8KNXP With Hyper-Threading Technology Socket 478 Mother
    Board 800 FSB, AGP 8x, Dual DDR400, Serial ATA, IEEE 1394, IDE Raid, Chip
    Set Intel 875P
    3.. Golden Dragon Geil 1024MB (2x512MB) Ultra Dual Channel p3200 400MHz
    DDR Memory
    4.. 2 WD 1200JB SE, Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cashe, OEM
    5.. ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256MB AGP 8X Video Card W/DVI/TV out OEM
    6.. Audigy 2 Platinum, Creative Lab Sound Card 24-bit/192KHz, DVD-Audio w/
    Pure 106dB SNR, 6.1 Surround
    7.. SONY Internal EIDE 16X DVD-ROM Drive
    8.. SONY DRU510A DVD-R/RW DVD+R/RW CD-R/RW Combo Drive Internal ATAPI EIDE
    9.. XP Pro

    Thanks in advance

    Chuck

    r49miner, Feb 23, 2004

  2. r49miner

    Pepperoni Guest

    What type router are you using to share your connection?

    If you are using a hub to connect three PCs to the internet--- *that* is the
    problem.

    Pepperoni, Feb 23, 2004

  3. r49miner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "r49miner" <> wrote in news:9jd_b.10439$4K3.1690
    @fed1read06:

    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > Chuck

    Forget all the software you are using. If you can not connect via IE or
    OE, open a command prompt and type:
    ipconfig /all

    See that you are getting a valid IP address from whatever is serving as
    your DHCP server (probably a router).

    If you aren't, you are either not physically connected to the router to
    get a DHCP lease, or the router is not working correctly and isn't
    assigning you an address.

    Next, check that you can ping your gateway. This is listed in IPConfig's
    output as Default Gateway. If you have a router, it's probably something
    like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but take a look and find it, then ping
    it:
    ping 192.168.0.1

    If you can't, you can't ping your router which is why you can't get
    online.

    Then check that you can ping an IP address outside your network. Right
    now, google gives me:
    Name: google.com
    Addresses: 216.239.37.99, 216.239.57.99, 216.239.39.99

    So try:
    ping 216.239.37.99

    If that works, your packets are going through your network and to the
    outside world A-OK.

    Next, see if you can look up a domain name:
    nslookup google.com

    It should provide results similar to:
    Server: appsrv.my.house
    Address: 192.168.0.200

    Name: google.com
    Addresses: 216.239.37.99, 216.239.57.99, 216.239.39.99

    If you get:
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.

    It means whatever your DNS server is set as isn't responding. If instead
    you get:
    *** appsrv.my.house can't find www.notarealsite.org.edu: Non-existent
    domain
    Then your DNS server is working, but it can't find that site, which may
    indicate a problem with it, especially if you are looking up a site like
    google that we all know does exist.

    If you can ping the gateway, ping an external IP address, look up a
    domain name, ping that domain name, but still can't get to a web page,
    the problem is almost definitely IE is either set to use a non existant
    or overloaded proxy server, or IE itself is horked.
    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004
  4. r49miner

    r49miner Guest

    I am Using a Cable/DSL 4 Port Router Linksys.

    r49miner, Feb 23, 2004
  5. r49miner

    r49miner Guest

    How does one open Command prompt? I know you are dealing with someone that
    maybe should not have a computer. hehe

    r49miner, Feb 23, 2004
  6. r49miner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "r49miner" <> wrote in

    > How does one open Command prompt? I know you are dealing with someone
    > that maybe should not have a computer. hehe

    Start, Run, cmd<enter>

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004
  7. r49miner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "r49miner" <> wrote in news:JYf_b.10558$4K3.2819
    @fed1read06:

    > I am Using a Cable/DSL 4 Port Router Linksys.

    Is it a BEFSR41? If so, I own the same router, and I had a similar
    problem. If you are positive it is the BEFSR41 you have, you can get the
    newest firmware and instructions at
    http://www.linksys.com/download/default.asp
    Pick your model Linksys and get the newest firmware.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004
  8. r49miner

    Pepperoni Guest

    Ok, good. Go into the online setup using your browser (from a different
    machine) See your router manual (user guide) or download from
    http://www.linksys.com/download/
    Check your routing client table and see if the router is seeing the trouble
    machine. All of the running machines should show on the table.

    If the trouble machine does not show on the routing table, exit setup,
    change the ethernet cable to the trouble machine. reboot your entire system
    (modem, router and all machines) and enter router setup again. Check the
    routing table to see if all running machines show.

    I suspect the problem is on the trouble PC. I don't think the router is
    seeing your machine. You sometimes see your home page, but I suspect that
    it is being viewed from your casche.

    I don't know your operating system, so I'm not going to speculate about your
    configuration. Often, however, rebooting the entire system will help.
    (modem, router and all machines) Let the modem connect, then the router,
    then turn on the pcs. It has been months since I messed with configuration,
    so I'm not really qualified to speculate. (my Psychic's Union Membership
    has lapsed)

    I would also try to connect the trouble machine directly to the modem
    (leaving out the router) This exercise will tell you whether the problem is
    in your PC (won't work), or in the router. (will work without the router)
    remember to reboot when changing configurations.)

    The Linky router does not do well in some configurations. Mine worked
    flawlessly until I was issued a new modem, through which it will not work.
    My Linky notebook card would also not work with the RCA modem, so I went to
    D-Link, which is trouble free. (Digital phone adapters also are not
    guaranteed to work with Linky routers)

    Pepperoni, Feb 23, 2004
  9. r49miner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in

    > Check your routing client table and see if the router is seeing the
    > trouble
    > machine. All of the running machines should show on the table.

    FYI, this is what my linksys's routing table has:

    Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Default Gateway Hop Count Interface
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 68.46.158.1 1 WAN
    68.46.158.0 255.255.254.0 0.0.0.0 1 WAN
    192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 1 LAN

    Routing tables route to networks, not to machines. To tell a router how to
    get from 192.168.0.50/24 to 192.168.1.25/24, you would tell the router to
    route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 through 192.168.1.1 (assuming the router's
    interface to 192.168.1.0 was 192.168.1.1). You don't tell the router how
    to get to each individual machine. If so, routing tables would go from
    their current size of "huge" to "astronomical", imagine keeping an entry
    for every machine with a public address.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004
  10. r49miner

    Pepperoni Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Check your routing client table and see if the router is seeing the
    > > trouble
    > > machine. All of the running machines should show on the table.

    > FYI, this is what my linksys's routing table has:
    > XXXXXXsnip XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    The "Clients Table" on the Linksys lists the machines connected on the LAN
    by name and by IP. It only lists those machines drawing DHCP from the
    router.

    If the router does not list the machine, it does not see the machine, nor
    will the <invisible> machine draw an IP.

    Pepperoni, Feb 23, 2004
  11. r49miner

    Pepperoni Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Check your routing client table and see if the router is seeing the
    > > trouble
    > > machine. All of the running machines should show on the table.

    > FYI, this is what my linksys's routing table has:

    I suppose I should have typed DHCP Client Table

    Pepperoni, Feb 23, 2004
  12. r49miner

    r49miner Guest

    Mine is Model # NR041 and I can't find that model # at the site.

    Thanks

    Chuck

    r49miner, Feb 23, 2004
  13. r49miner

    r49miner Guest

    ipconfig /all

    Host Name...........................:Me!
    Primary Dns Suffix...............:
    Node Type............................:
    I.P. Routing Enabled..............:NO
    Wins Proxy Enabled...............:NO

    Ethernet Adapter network Bridge..3:

    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix....:
    Discription......................................:Mac Bridge Miniport
    Physical Address............................:32-3E-(more numbers)
    DHCP Enabled................................:Yes
    Auto Configuration enabled..............:Yes
    Auto Configuration I.P. Address........:169.254 (more numbers)
    Defaul Gateway................................:

    That's what printed out.

    r49miner, Feb 23, 2004
  14. r49miner

    Pepperoni Guest

    I have seen this before. Your computer is not obtaining an IP addy from the
    router, so it assigns itself a private address. Check your help files under
    "IP address"
    (Have you tried connecting direct to the modem <and rebooting your trouble
    PC?>)

    Below is an explanation of the IP your machine is assigning itself. It
    should change when it can pull an IP from the router or modem.

    Pepperoni
    *********
    <Partial quote from help files>

    If your computer is configured for automatic IP addressing and is connected
    to a network that does not have a DHCP Service, it automatically assigns
    itself an IP address. For more information see Related Topics.
    If your computer is connected to a network with a DHCP service and a failure
    occurs, the computer assigns itself a private IP address. When the DHCP
    service is restored, the computer gets the DHCP address and relinquishes the
    private address.
    Assigning a static IP address overrides the ability to get addresses
    dynamically from DHCP servers.
    Most private automatic IP addresses use the LINKLOCAL network IP address
    space and the format is 169.254.X.X. Internet Connection Sharing networks
    use addresses in the 192.168.0.xxx range.

    Pepperoni, Feb 23, 2004
  15. r49miner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "r49miner" <> wrote in news:guj_b.10718$4K3.3268
    @fed1read06:

    > Auto Configuration I.P. Address........:169.254 (more numbers)

    This means it did not aquire an IP address from your router, and Windows
    assigned one on it's own.

    > Defaul Gateway................................:

    If the router had assigned an address, it would also have set the gateway
    to it's own address.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004
  16. r49miner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in

    > The "Clients Table" on the Linksys lists the machines connected on the
    > LAN by name and by IP. It only lists those machines drawing DHCP from
    > the router.

    Yes, that is the list of DHCP leases. But it's not the routing table :)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004
  17. r49miner

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:11:15 -0800, "r49miner"
    <> wrote:

    >I am experiencing a very frustrating problem and would like a little help
    >directing me to the proper news group, or helping resolve the problem. My
    >network is not working and I would appreciate some help isolating the
    >problem.
    >
    >I have three computers on the network. One has just developed a problem of
    >not being able to send or receive E-mail or accessing the internet.

    That's not a network problem...that's an Internet access problem. Are
    you able to access the router?...and the other machines?

    >When I
    >try and use Microsft Explorer to access the internet I get an error message,
    >Web Page Unavailable While Working Offline, To View This Page Click Connect.
    >I click on view this page and receive another error message. No Connection
    >To The Internet is Currently Available. To View Internet Content That Has
    >Been Saved On Your Computer, Click Work Offline. My options are to Click to
    >TRY AGAIN To Attempt Connect. WORK OFFLINE or TRY AGAIN. By selecting TRY
    >AGAIN I get
    >THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED, however, when I delete the message sometimes
    >I get my home page, which is Yahoo. When I type in a URL and send I get
    >another error message. I delete the message and it goes to that URL, but
    >each time I access a page I get an error message.
    >
    >As for E-mail it just flat out won't let me send or receive.

    Go into IE...connection...and change your setting to always connect
    over LAN.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 26, 2004