    that RAR does archive fault tolerance, as well as that free PAR
    program. Is there anything that would work in XP in the background?

    Thanks.

    dimon, Oct 15, 2005

  2. "dimon" wrote
    > am looking for a program that can automatically sit in the background
    > and create some sort of CRC file for files on the disk that would allow
    > data recovery should any small number of BAD sectors appear.

    http://panterasoft.com/
    HDD Health v2.1 Build 159

    HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines
    using Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray,
    it monitors hard disks and alerts you to impending failure. The program
    uses Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built into
    all new hard disks, and can predict failures on your hard drives. A host
    of alerting features include email, local pop-up messages, net messages,
    and event logging, while using no system resources.

    FREEWARE

    Regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Oct 15, 2005

  3. dimon

    dimon Guest

    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately BAD sectors can occur
    without S.M.A.R.T. status being changed and even if it does change it
    would be too late for the data that would be damaged by a dab sector.
    Simple monitoring is not sufficient.

    dimon, Oct 16, 2005