    Vista( when available ) from my current x64 os without reloading my
    applications? This would be desirable as I am using hard to load apps like
    AutoCAD and 3ds Max.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Inplace upgrades are not supported in the beta 1 release of Windows Vista
    and please keep all Vista related questions in the Vista newsgroups if you
    are the technical beta. MSDN Subscribers should also have a supported
    newsgroup to post queries.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005

  3. I have a new Dell with Pro x64. I am not "technical beta". I'm simply asking
    a technical question concerning these operating systems. It seems to me that
    this is a legitimate X64 question.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=, Jul 28, 2005
  4. Ok, I can understand that, but the point is, not inplace upgrades allowed,
    not for x86 or x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 28, 2005
  5. Thanks for the response. I got the idea from a previous thread entitled
    "Testers begin to unravel secrets..."

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=, Jul 28, 2005
  6. At some point, yes. At the initial beta level, I'd be extremely surprised if
    it were working. Beta one is always pretty raw, and it's not really for real
    work. It's more to get things in place for later betas.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2005
  7. I have run the Vista 64 installation from my XP x64 desktop and installed
    Vista to a different hard drive. The Vista installer set up the multiboot
    screen. If you run the installer this way you will see an option to do an
    upgrade, but I suspect that at this point that means upgrade Vista or
    perhaps a message will appear advising that the feature is not available.
    If you find yourself in the beta program you will have the opportunity to
    use that option and see if it means that you can upgrade from x64 to Vista.
    The explanation of the option appears onscreen and does say that you can
    upgrade without losing your files, settings, and PROGRAMS. I would not
    replace a working installation of XP x64 with Vista 64 beta 1 at this time
    however. The primary problem right now is obtaining fully functional
    antivirus and antimalware programs. I just tried Avast and it blocked IE7
    from getting on the internet. I think AVG may be working, but it is too
    soon to recommend it. As far as Norton and McAffee are concerned, go
    phishing.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  8. I can report outstanding results with Vista 64 beta 1 on my AMD Athlon 64 x2
    box. But it is a work in progress none the less. It has been rock solid
    all day.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  9. I, on the other hand, will not be reporting anything here, one way or
    another. That being the way I read my nda. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 29, 2005
  10. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >I, on the other hand, will not be reporting anything here, one way or
    >another. That being the way I read my nda. ;)

    Perhaps Colin has downloaded it from MSDN, where there is no NDA to sign...

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jul 29, 2005
  11. Wasn't a comment on anyone else, just that I don't feel comfortable talking
    about Vista except about stuff that I know is publicly available. (And the
    EULA for the MSDN version might have something to say too, though I admit, I
    didn't read the whole thing. )

    That being said, I will talk in general terms and about features and
    experiences that I think are important on the blog and on in my columns.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 29, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=

    Default User Guest

    Correct. I could not get access to Connect until long after the MSDN
    downloads were finished.

    Default User, Jul 30, 2005
  13. My access wasn't granted until late in the evening. Downloading took 2 days.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 30, 2005
  14. "Default User" <> wrote in:

    > Correct. I could not get access to Connect until long after the MSDN
    > downloads were finished.

    I've downloaded the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista and still haven't
    received my email yet so.... no NDA for me, either.

    So far, the 64 bit version seems as lacking for drivers as is X64. I was
    hoping some might have been added but apparently not or at least none that
    affect my hardware. Maybe in later betas.

    The 32 bit version seems to be working nicely but I've not used it much yet.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 30, 2005
  15. the 64-bit version installed clean on the A8V with an IDE. SATA (on the VIA
    RAID controller) required the use of the WHQL drivers that are currently on
    viaarena.com. The VIA RAID controller was the only ? that I had in device
    manager. (But I have the Promise disabled in the BIOS.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 30, 2005