    well exposed images or I get well exposed soft images.

    Thanks in advance,

    Scott

    Scott, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Scott

    TAFKAB Guest

    You're experiencing just what drove me away from that camera. The zoom
    controls and AF speed are horrid, and there's not much you can do about it.

    TAFKAB, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Scott

    Mark Weaver Guest

    For me, once in a while the camera guesses wrong and focuses on the
    background rather than the subject--it's nowhere near half my shots.
    Probably not even one in 10. I just checked a batch of about 25 from a
    couple of days ago. No AF misses at all. The firmware update hasn't
    changed that--the AF is much faster, but the accuracy seems about the same.

    Are there particular conditions that produce the problem (low light, long
    zoom?) Are you sure you're shooting with a shutter speed adequate to the
    zoom level?

    If your shutter speeds are not too slow and you're getting AF misses on more
    than half your shots across all kinds of conditions and focal lengths, then
    I'd say there's a problem with the camera and it needs repair.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thanks you for your reesponse Mark (and TAFKAB):

    The situations where I am frustrated by this camera seem to occur (mostly)
    indoors where below average lighting prevails. I have set the camera to use
    50 ASA in all modes except AUTO, where it choses whatever is appropriate.
    If the ambient lighting indoors is too low to accurately focus then I guess
    Canon should have included some type of AF assist lighting. My 10 year old
    ELAN IIe with the 28-135 IS lens focuses in almost no lighting and very
    quickly to boot...I guess I've only had the camera for a month and I should
    give it more time. Do you have any advice or suggestiooons you can share
    with regard to improving the focusing quality?

    Thanks again.

    Scott

    Scott, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Scott

    John Tindle Guest

    Adequate lighting is the key. The brighter the subject the better.
    I'll admit the PRO1 is extremely finicky in low-light situations - even with
    the firmware upgrade.
    And yes - for the money I paid, Canon should have included a focusing
    light.
    I've resigned myself that there's nothing to be done and have learned to
    live with it.
    I now bounce my 420EX flash much more often.
    Your less than perfect shots in low-light might be camera shake rather than
    bad focusing.
    Have you done any low-light tests using a tripod?

    JT

    John Tindle, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Scott

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks you for your reesponse Mark (and TAFKAB):
    >
    > The situations where I am frustrated by this camera seem to occur (mostly)
    > indoors where below average lighting prevails. I have set the camera to

    use
    > 50 ASA in all modes except AUTO, where it choses whatever is appropriate.
    > If the ambient lighting indoors is too low to accurately focus then I

    guess
    > Canon should have included some type of AF assist lighting. My 10 year

    old
    > ELAN IIe with the 28-135 IS lens focuses in almost no lighting and very
    > quickly to boot...I guess I've only had the camera for a month and I

    should
    > give it more time. Do you have any advice or suggestiooons you can share
    > with regard to improving the focusing quality?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Well, I have to admit I do mostly outdoor photography, but the light has to
    get pretty low before the AF fails. Is the camera indicating a good focus
    lock even though it is off? Or is it failing to lock at all? I assume
    these flash photos? Otherwise ISO 50 in low light is going to require a
    tripod. BTW, I've had pretty good luck with ISO 200 and 400. They don't
    look great on screen at 100% (pixel-peeping) resolution, but they look quite
    good at lower resolution or in prints (especially with the use of noise
    reduction software).

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thank you John and Mark:

    I get false focus locks with camera set to full auto so I assume the
    software will select the appropriate ISO rating for a particular shot. The
    camera does lock focus, albeit on the background or the floor...with my EOS
    all I have to do to get a guaranteed tack-sharp focus is to place the focus
    sensor partially on some vertical element of the subject (side of a person's
    head, sleeve, etc) and after a fraction of a second, Bam! I get a solid
    focus lock. With the Pro 1, however, try the same method and it hunts and
    hunts and Bam! The fence in the background or the the leading edge of the
    counter top in the foreground is tack-sharp but not the subject. So I have
    to recompose and start over again. By the time I get a good focus the
    moment has usually passed.

    Anyway, I am sure the camera is working per design and I just need to quit
    comparing it to my 35mm. My biggest problem is that my wife is slowing
    learning to hate the camera becasue she can't pick it up and take a shot. I
    brought home the A85 from my office to take on a business trip and that $250
    camera repetedly takes in-focus images with little or no fuss. Granted the
    quality isn't as good as the Pro-1 but at least they're in focus.

    Scott, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I will take your comment about the ISO and noise to heart. When working in
    P, Tv, or Av I will try a higher ISO rating and see if it helps. Thanks

    Scott, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Yes, so far most of my shots have been indoors but I look forward to some
    outdoor shots as time allows. I am interested to see if the focusing issue
    extends to sunny 16 conditions. And yes, it can get quite dark in my house
    at times so that may be the real issue: this camera simply needs more light
    than my EOS does to focus correctly. BTW: I have a 380Ex and it doesn't
    seem to help with the focus accuracy but zoom head does help to widen the
    flash coverage from what the pop-up delivers.

    Thanks again John.

    Scott, Jan 6, 2005