    2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
    will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document

    Any suggestions or solutions?

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Sep 23, 2005

  2. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Richard Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > 2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
    > will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document
    >
    > Any suggestions or solutions?

    Find the port name in the printers properties and just copy the .prn file to it.

    I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer now
    that I have all the printers on a printserver :)

    Richard, Sep 23, 2005

  3. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:08:13 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    >1] Under XP I can print .prn files from the command prompt to a HP
    >Laserjet printer using the following command line:
    >
    > C:\windows\system32\print C:\path\filename.prn
    >
    > When I attempt to print to a USB deskjet, the DOS box reports
    >that the file is being printed, but nothing happens at the printer.
    >Power is on, plenty of paper, and newly installed cartridge.
    >
    > Any suggestions or solutions?
    >
    >2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
    >will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document
    >
    > Any suggestions or solutions?

    DOS does not suppoter USB..

    XP, Sep 23, 2005
  4. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    > DOS does not suppoter USB..

    So its a good thing that the OP isnt trying to use dos to do what they want.

    Richard, Sep 23, 2005
  5. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    EMB Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > 1] Under XP I can print .prn files from the command prompt to a HP
    > Laserjet printer using the following command line:
    >
    > C:\windows\system32\print C:\path\filename.prn
    >
    > When I attempt to print to a USB deskjet, the DOS box reports
    > that the file is being printed, but nothing happens at the printer.
    > Power is on, plenty of paper, and newly installed cartridge.
    >
    > Any suggestions or solutions?

    The print.exe command is a hangover from old DOS days and (AFAIK) will
    only direct output to LPT1: so you're probably out of luck with the USB
    printer.

    > 2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
    > will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document

    AIUI if they are hanging off LTP1: they should work as the syntax and
    workings of print.exe is basically unchanged from DOS 3.x thru to
    Windows XP.

    Otherwise copy c:\path\filename.prn lpt1:
    should work.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Sep 23, 2005
  6. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Martin Guest

    > Find the port name in the printers properties and just copy the .prn file

    to it.

    > I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer

    now
    > that I have all the printers on a printserver :)

    net use lpt1: \\servername\printername

    copy c:\filename.prn lpt1:

    (-;

    Martin, Sep 23, 2005
  7. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Richard Guest

    Martin wrote:
    >>Find the port name in the printers properties and just copy the .prn file

    > to it.
    >
    >>I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer

    > now
    >
    >>that I have all the printers on a printserver :)

    > net use lpt1: \\servername\printername
    >
    > copy c:\filename.prn lpt1:
    >
    > (-;

    Its not a windows server sharing a printer, its an ethernet to parallel and an
    ethernet to usb box.

    The ports show in the printers dialog as IP_192.168.1.200 - copying to that
    makes a file called the same thing.

    Richard, Sep 24, 2005
  8. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Harry Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > 1] Under XP I can print .prn files from the command prompt to a HP
    > Laserjet printer using the following command line:
    >
    > C:\windows\system32\print C:\path\filename.prn
    >
    > When I attempt to print to a USB deskjet, the DOS box reports
    > that the file is being printed, but nothing happens at the printer.
    > Power is on, plenty of paper, and newly installed cartridge.
    >
    > Any suggestions or solutions?

    Printing to USB is not supported under DOS.

    > 2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
    > will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document
    >
    > Any suggestions or solutions?

    Printing to USB is not supported under DOS.

    To print to the laserjet, go to Printer xxx:properties:Details:Capture Printer
    and assign LPT1 to the laserjet. Then from DOS you can do "print xxx".

    Under DOS all printing goes to LPT1 by default.

    Harry, Sep 24, 2005
  9. Richard wrote:
    > I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer
    > now that I have all the printers on a printserver :)

    same...
    copy file.prn \\servername\printername

    from memory...

    --