privatebox.co.nz

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Guest, Dec 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Joined up to this service, thought it looked quite good as i'm in the middle
    of moving house.

    I paid via credit card, and as his site bumps in and out of secure mode's
    frequently I used my second card (quite common for people to have multiple
    credit cards these days). My account was deleted - below:

    Awaiting credit card refund now :-/

    ----------
    Hello Michael,

    Your account has automatically been disabled by our system. It seems that
    you have tried four times before you made you final and fifth payment to us.

    This is not the reason your account was closed, it was for the fact that you
    have tried many different credit card numbers.

    I'm sorry but we do not accept fraudulent payments and never will.

    Cheers,

    Steven Morey
    ----------
    Guest, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Guest

    Vista Guest

    <> wrote in message news:em9pvf$kp5$...
    > Joined up to this service, thought it looked quite good as i'm in the
    > middle of moving house.
    >
    > I paid via credit card, and as his site bumps in and out of secure mode's
    > frequently I used my second card (quite common for people to have multiple
    > credit cards these days). My account was deleted - below:
    >
    > Awaiting credit card refund now :-/
    >
    > ----------
    > Hello Michael,
    >
    > Your account has automatically been disabled by our system. It seems that
    > you have tried four times before you made you final and fifth payment to
    > us.
    >
    > This is not the reason your account was closed, it was for the fact that
    > you
    > have tried many different credit card numbers.
    >
    > I'm sorry but we do not accept fraudulent payments and never will.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steven Morey
    > ----------

    Maybe you have a bad credit rating
    Vista, Dec 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > Maybe you have a bad credit rating

    Errrm, nothing to do with Credit Ratings.
    Guest, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Guest

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:45:08 +1300, <> exclaimed:

    >Joined up to this service, thought it looked quite good as i'm in the middle
    >of moving house.
    >
    >I paid via credit card, and as his site bumps in and out of secure mode's
    >frequently I used my second card (quite common for people to have multiple
    >credit cards these days). My account was deleted - below:
    >
    >Awaiting credit card refund now :-/
    >
    >----------
    >Hello Michael,
    >
    >Your account has automatically been disabled by our system. It seems that
    >you have tried four times before you made you final and fifth payment to us.
    >
    >This is not the reason your account was closed, it was for the fact that you
    >have tried many different credit card numbers.
    >
    >I'm sorry but we do not accept fraudulent payments and never will.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Steven Morey
    >----------

    Did you try paying 5 times, with 5 different cards?
    Fred Dagg, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:45:08 +1300, <> exclaimed:

    <snip>

    > Did you try paying 5 times, with 5 different cards?

    Two different cards. The ANZ E Gate said my card was expired, when clearly
    it wasnt. And the site as I said, pops in and out of secure mode, makes
    using the site very interesting. No loss - i'll just go to NZ Post. Just
    thought it was funny how he jumped to a fraud conclusion.
    Guest, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Guest

    Philip Guest

    wrote:

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:45:08 +1300, <> exclaimed:

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Did you try paying 5 times, with 5 different cards?

    > Two different cards. The ANZ E Gate said my card was expired, when
    > clearly it wasnt. And the site as I said, pops in and out of secure
    > mode, makes using the site very interesting. No loss - i'll just go to
    > NZ Post. Just thought it was funny how he jumped to a fraud conclusion.

    Some of these pre-authorisation schemes have to be experienced to be
    believed.

    The US company CCBill provides merchant services for a number of US
    suppliers. I got refused by them because they said my card was declined
    by the issuing Bank. the BNZ assures me that it wasn't. Where do we go
    from here? I suspect their dimwit programmers have never heard of NZ so
    automatically decline all approached from here - just like Verizon did
    with nz email.

    A while back, my bank changed our credit card from Visa to Mastercard.
    So when renewal time came round I needed to update my card details for a
    US voicemail outfit I've been subscribing to for years. The site allowed
    me to choose to be in NZ, but demanded I choose a a US state from a
    dropdown list (that didn't include any of the territories like Guam and
    Puerto Rico) , and offered no way round this. The only way to complain
    is to call a US 1 800 number, which then advises me that my telephone
    provider cannot connect to this number. Sheesh!

    Now they are sending me dunning e-mails demanding $3.95. This could
    escalate...

    So much for the global economy!

    Philip
    Philip, Dec 20, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:45:08 +1300, <> exclaimed:

    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Did you try paying 5 times, with 5 different cards?

    >> Two different cards. The ANZ E Gate said my card was expired, when
    >> clearly it wasnt. And the site as I said, pops in and out of secure mode,
    >> makes using the site very interesting. No loss - i'll just go to NZ Post.
    >> Just thought it was funny how he jumped to a fraud conclusion.

    > Some of these pre-authorisation schemes have to be experienced to be
    > believed.
    >
    > The US company CCBill provides merchant services for a number of US
    > suppliers. I got refused by them because they said my card was declined by
    > the issuing Bank. the BNZ assures me that it wasn't. Where do we go from
    > here? I suspect their dimwit programmers have never heard of NZ so
    > automatically decline all approached from here - just like Verizon did
    > with nz email.
    >
    > A while back, my bank changed our credit card from Visa to Mastercard. So
    > when renewal time came round I needed to update my card details for a US
    > voicemail outfit I've been subscribing to for years. The site allowed me
    > to choose to be in NZ, but demanded I choose a a US state from a dropdown
    > list (that didn't include any of the territories like Guam and Puerto
    > Rico) , and offered no way round this. The only way to complain is to call
    > a US 1 800 number, which then advises me that my telephone provider cannot
    > connect to this number. Sheesh!
    >
    > Now they are sending me dunning e-mails demanding $3.95. This could
    > escalate...
    >
    > So much for the global economy!
    >
    > Philip

    Had a simalar thing happen too - I could see I had credit available, but
    this US Site kept declining the card. Yup - go the global economy.
    Guest, Dec 20, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > Joined up to this service, thought it looked quite good as i'm in the
    > middle of moving house.
    >
    > I paid via credit card, and as his site bumps in and out of secure
    > mode's frequently I used my second card (quite common for people to have
    > multiple credit cards these days). My account was deleted - below:
    >
    > Awaiting credit card refund now :-/
    >
    > ----------
    > Hello Michael,
    >
    > Your account has automatically been disabled by our system. It seems that
    > you have tried four times before you made you final and fifth payment to
    > us.
    >
    > This is not the reason your account was closed, it was for the fact that
    > you
    > have tried many different credit card numbers.
    >
    > I'm sorry but we do not accept fraudulent payments and never will.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steven Morey
    > ----------

    Whenever I see "affiliate program" I read "scam".
    Mark Robinson, Dec 20, 2006
  9. Guest

    Rob Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Joined up to this service, thought it looked quite good as i'm in the
    >> middle of moving house.
    >>
    >> I paid via credit card, and as his site bumps in and out of secure
    >> mode's frequently I used my second card (quite common for people to have
    >> multiple credit cards these days). My account was deleted - below:
    >>
    >> Awaiting credit card refund now :-/
    >>
    >> ----------
    >> Hello Michael,
    >>
    >> Your account has automatically been disabled by our system. It seems that
    >> you have tried four times before you made you final and fifth payment to
    >> us.
    >>
    >> This is not the reason your account was closed, it was for the fact that
    >> you
    >> have tried many different credit card numbers.
    >>
    >> I'm sorry but we do not accept fraudulent payments and never will.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Steven Morey
    >> ----------

    > Whenever I see "affiliate program" I read "scam".

    And Spam. Affiliates programs are often a large source of spam.
    Rob, Dec 20, 2006
  10. On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:39:42 +1300, <> wrote:

    >"Philip" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Two different cards. The ANZ E Gate said my card was expired, when
    >>> clearly it wasnt. And the site as I said, pops in and out of secure mode,
    >>> makes using the site very interesting. No loss - i'll just go to NZ Post.
    >>> Just thought it was funny how he jumped to a fraud conclusion.

    >> Some of these pre-authorisation schemes have to be experienced to be
    >> believed.
    >>
    >> The US company CCBill provides merchant services for a number of US
    >> suppliers. I got refused by them because they said my card was declined by
    >> the issuing Bank. the BNZ assures me that it wasn't. Where do we go from
    >> here? I suspect their dimwit programmers have never heard of NZ so
    >> automatically decline all approached from here - just like Verizon did
    >> with nz email.
    >>
    >> A while back, my bank changed our credit card from Visa to Mastercard. So
    >> when renewal time came round I needed to update my card details for a US
    >> voicemail outfit I've been subscribing to for years. The site allowed me
    >> to choose to be in NZ, but demanded I choose a a US state from a dropdown
    >> list (that didn't include any of the territories like Guam and Puerto
    >> Rico) , and offered no way round this. The only way to complain is to call
    >> a US 1 800 number, which then advises me that my telephone provider cannot
    >> connect to this number. Sheesh!
    >>
    >> Now they are sending me dunning e-mails demanding $3.95. This could
    >> escalate...
    >>
    >> So much for the global economy!
    >>
    >> Philip
    >>

    >Had a simalar thing happen too - I could see I had credit available, but
    >this US Site kept declining the card. Yup - go the global economy.

    There was an article in the news media here earlier this year about
    companies not accepting credit cards from many countries which
    included a list of the countries - was surprised to find New Zealand
    was amongst them.

    Cath
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Dec 20, 2006
  11. Guest

    Philip Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:39:42 +1300, <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Some of these pre-authorisation schemes have to be experienced to be
    >>> believed.
    >>>
    >>> The US company CCBill provides merchant services for a number of US
    >>> suppliers. I got refused by them because they said my card was declined by
    >>> the issuing Bank. the BNZ assures me that it wasn't. Where do we go from
    >>> here? I suspect their dimwit programmers have never heard of NZ so
    >>> automatically decline all approached from here - just like Verizon did
    >>> with nz email.
    >>>
    >>> A while back, my bank changed our credit card from Visa to Mastercard. So
    >>> when renewal time came round I needed to update my card details for a US
    >>> voicemail outfit I've been subscribing to for years. The site allowed me
    >>> to choose to be in NZ, but demanded I choose a a US state from a dropdown
    >>> list (that didn't include any of the territories like Guam and Puerto
    >>> Rico) , and offered no way round this. The only way to complain is to call
    >>> a US 1 800 number, which then advises me that my telephone provider cannot
    >>> connect to this number. Sheesh!
    >>>
    >>> Now they are sending me dunning e-mails demanding $3.95. This could
    >>> escalate...
    >>>
    >>> So much for the global economy!
    >>>
    >>> Philip
    >>>

    >> Had a simalar thing happen too - I could see I had credit available, but
    >> this US Site kept declining the card. Yup - go the global economy.

    > There was an article in the news media here earlier this year about
    > companies not accepting credit cards from many countries which
    > included a list of the countries - was surprised to find New Zealand
    > was amongst them.
    >
    > Cath

    A long shot, but can you give any pointers that would help me find the
    article (which media, roughly when, whatever...)

    Philip
    Philip, Dec 20, 2006
  12. Guest

    k Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:45:08 +1300, <> exclaimed:

    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Did you try paying 5 times, with 5 different cards?

    >> Two different cards. The ANZ E Gate said my card was expired, when
    >> clearly it wasnt. And the site as I said, pops in and out of secure
    >> mode, makes using the site very interesting. No loss - i'll just go to
    >> NZ Post. Just thought it was funny how he jumped to a fraud conclusion.

    > Some of these pre-authorisation schemes have to be experienced to be
    > believed.
    >
    > The US company CCBill provides merchant services for a number of US
    > suppliers. I got refused by them because they said my card was declined
    > by the issuing Bank. the BNZ assures me that it wasn't. Where do we go
    > from here? I suspect their dimwit programmers have never heard of NZ so
    > automatically decline all approached from here - just like Verizon did
    > with nz email.
    >
    > A while back, my bank changed our credit card from Visa to Mastercard.
    > So when renewal time came round I needed to update my card details for a
    > US voicemail outfit I've been subscribing to for years. The site allowed
    > me to choose to be in NZ, but demanded I choose a a US state from a
    > dropdown list (that didn't include any of the territories like Guam and
    > Puerto Rico) , and offered no way round this. The only way to complain
    > is to call a US 1 800 number, which then advises me that my telephone
    > provider cannot connect to this number. Sheesh!
    >
    > Now they are sending me dunning e-mails demanding $3.95. This could
    > escalate...
    >
    > So much for the global economy!
    >
    > Philip

    You tried dialing 0168 infront of that 1800 number, right?
    k, Dec 20, 2006
  13. Guest

    bharmer Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:15:56 +1300, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:39:42 +1300, <> wrote:

    (snip)

    >> There was an article in the news media here earlier this year about
    >> companies not accepting credit cards from many countries which
    >> included a list of the countries - was surprised to find New Zealand
    >> was amongst them.
    >>
    >> Cath

    >A long shot, but can you give any pointers that would help me find the
    >article (which media, roughly when, whatever...)

    It was reported in the NZ media as well around mid July. The
    following are all I could find on a quick search:

    Radio New Zealand Newswire — 19/07/2006:04:30
    Travellers heading to Europe are being warned they may have their
    credit cards refused by retailers in the UK, following the
    introduction of new technology.
    Since February, the United Kingdom has switched to a system of cards
    with microchips to store customers' details.

    The Revenue Minister, and leader of United Future, Peter Dunne, says
    some businesses won't let travellers use their New Zealand credit
    cards, which have older-style technology and must be accompanied by a
    signature.

    He says that is despite laws that retailers must accept such cards
    from overseas visitors.

    Mr Dunne says card providers in New Zealand and the Ministry of
    Foreign Affairs should do more to let travellers know their rights.

    Slug: CARDS DUNNE WRIT
    © 2006 Radio New Zealand

    Media statement
    Embargoed to 0001hrs
    Wednesday, July 19, 2006

    Dunne: Kiwi credit card users in for European shock

    United Future leader Peter Dunne today warned New Zealand credit card
    users may be in for a rude shock if they try to use their cards in the
    United Kingdom and France, now that 'smart' cards have been introduced
    there.

    "I'm told that if a New Zealander attempts to use a New Zealand credit
    card in the UK or France, they are being challenged as our cards do
    not have an embedded computer chip or electronic PIN," said Mr Dunne.

    New Zealand's credit cards work on an electronic verification system,
    which allows merchants (using a strip of magnetised material on the
    card holding information in a similar manner to magnetic tape or a
    floppy disk) to verify that the card is valid and the credit card
    customer has sufficient credit.

    This is coupled with a signature at time of purchase to increase
    security.

    Chip and PIN cards, also known as smart cards, contain an embedded
    microchip and are used in the UK and France.

    This system has removed some of the security flaws found within the
    older electronic verification system as it is used in conjunction with
    a personal identification number (PIN).

    "As of 14 February 2006, British shops and outlets will refuse to
    accept a signature in place of a PIN. This has created total confusion
    for New Zealand travellers as credit card users have not been warned
    to expect this.

    "By law, all British shops, outlets and restaurants MUST accept
    signatures from overseas visitors where chip and PIN technology has
    not been rolled out.

    "When asked for further information, a New Zealand bank told me that
    many British outlets may not be aware of this obligation and may need
    to be "reminded" that New Zealand has not implemented this technology
    yet and we are therefore unable to verify purchases through PIN's.

    "I am calling for credit card providers to make this information more
    widely available, through websites and card information brochures.

    "This information should also be on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    website and possibly at www.safetravel.govt.nz ", Mr Dunne said.

    "These chip and PIN credit cards are the future of secure banking and
    New Zealand must embrace this technology as soon as possible.

    "Meanwhile, it is essential that all New Zealanders travelling to the
    UK know what to do when outlets refuse to accept their signature,"
    said Mr Dunne.

    ENDS
    bharmer, Dec 20, 2006
  14. On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:15:56 +1300, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:39:42 +1300, <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Philip" <> wrote in message

    >>> Had a simalar thing happen too - I could see I had credit available, but
    >>> this US Site kept declining the card. Yup - go the global economy.

    >> There was an article in the news media here earlier this year about
    >> companies not accepting credit cards from many countries which
    >> included a list of the countries - was surprised to find New Zealand
    >> was amongst them.
    >>
    >> Cath

    >A long shot, but can you give any pointers that would help me find the
    >article (which media, roughly when, whatever...)
    >
    >Philip

    Often I save articles such as these - I've had a quick look to see if
    I have but can't find anything at this time. Give me a couple of days
    and to see if I can find it [have two hdd's so it could be anywhere!].

    Cath
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Dec 20, 2006
  15. In message <>, bharmer wrote:

    > Since February, the United Kingdom has switched to a system of cards
    > with microchips to store customers' details.

    Debit cards are apparently quite common in Europe. In fact, I was just
    talking to a client today who told me that credit cards are not that
    popular with Germans, for example. Looks like we'll be putting in a bank
    transfer systesm to do more online sales there.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 20, 2006
  16. Guest

    bharmer Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:28:04 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, bharmer wrote:
    >
    >> Since February, the United Kingdom has switched to a system of cards
    >> with microchips to store customers' details.

    >Debit cards are apparently quite common in Europe. In fact, I was just
    >talking to a client today who told me that credit cards are not that
    >popular with Germans, for example. Looks like we'll be putting in a bank
    >transfer systesm to do more online sales there.

    True, but we are talking of microchips in credit cards. I wouldn't
    have thought we needed more technology to deal with debit cards ...
    eft-pos does that for most people in NZ?
    bharmer, Dec 20, 2006
  17. Guest

    Rob Guest

    bharmer wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:28:04 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, bharmer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since February, the United Kingdom has switched to a system of cards
    >>> with microchips to store customers' details.

    >> Debit cards are apparently quite common in Europe. In fact, I was just
    >> talking to a client today who told me that credit cards are not that
    >> popular with Germans, for example. Looks like we'll be putting in a bank
    >> transfer systesm to do more online sales there.

    > True, but we are talking of microchips in credit cards. I wouldn't
    > have thought we needed more technology to deal with debit cards ...
    > eft-pos does that for most people in NZ?

    NZ Post have done a deal with Visa and offer a pre-paid credit card,
    which would make it a debit card.

    http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-NZ/Personal/PrezzyCard/

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/

    Behind every good computer... is a jumble of wires 'n stuff.
    Rob, Dec 20, 2006
  18. Guest

    James Guest

    Chip and PIN:

    What the UK Card Industry doesn't tell the world:

    A whole new industry has taken off, capturing card details and harvest
    PINs

    Other than the bog standard Lebanese Loop, Criminals are using gadgets:

    http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/story/0,,1948027,00.html

    Gangs are terrifying consumes for their PINs

    PIN pads are being rigged throughout the country: (All within the last
    2 months)

    http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=845&ArticleID=1899706

    http://www.leedstoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=39&ArticleID=1897621

    http://www.eastbournetoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=488&ArticleID=1857584

    http://www.expressandstar.co.uk/2006/10/28/fears-of-card-cloning-at-garage

    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/localheadlines/display.var.1022051.0.stop_bank_card_scam.php

    Celeb or The Elderly - nobody is safe:

    http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/content/ca...wshamhigh&itemid=WeED08 Dec 2006 13:44:28:770

    http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=55&ArticleID=1892944

    The Card the Card Industry Forgot to mention to UK consumers that they
    needn't have a PIN if they have concerns about personal or PIN
    safety:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/03/11/dt1101.xml

    I hope NZ card issuers inform credit cardholders that there is no
    reason whatsoever for them to have a PIN with their Credit Card.
    Let's hope our Kiwi cousins learn by our mistakes
    James, Dec 20, 2006
  19. Guest

    Philip Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > bharmer wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:28:04 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Debit cards are apparently quite common in Europe. In fact, I was just
    >>> talking to a client today who told me that credit cards are not that
    >>> popular with Germans, for example. Looks like we'll be putting in a bank
    >>> transfer systesm to do more online sales there.

    >> True, but we are talking of microchips in credit cards. I wouldn't
    >> have thought we needed more technology to deal with debit cards ...
    >> eft-pos does that for most people in NZ?

    > NZ Post have done a deal with Visa and offer a pre-paid credit card,
    > which would make it a debit card.
    >
    > http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-NZ/Personal/PrezzyCard/

    Useless online though because you'll not have a billing address...

    Philip
    Philip, Dec 20, 2006
  20. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bharmer wrote:
    > It was reported in the NZ media as well around mid July. The
    > following are all I could find on a quick search:

    [snip]

    > "These chip and PIN credit cards are the future of secure banking and
    > New Zealand must embrace this technology as soon as possible.

    I've seen lots of credit cards in NZ with PINs. Not 'chip' cards though,
    just the magnetic strip jobbies, but with PIN required.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2006