    buying and their replies are written in very broken English. Another one of
    their tactics is to require payment through Western Union rather than Amazon. I
    think this is an attempt to avoid Amazon's buyer protection plan.

    George Johnston, Dec 9, 2004

  2. ebring (George Johnston) writes:
    > Has anyone had any experience buying from a private seller who
    > offers cameras at ridiculously low prices through Amazon.com?
    > Through Amazon. I have been trying to purchase a 20D for two days
    > now. I will purchase the camera, get a confirmation from Amazon,
    > then the order will be cancelled.. Amazon says that on occasion, the
    > seller can't complete the sale, but I have placed four orders and
    > every one has been canceled. I should have known it was too good to
    > be true, but I thought that I was safe by going through a reputable
    > organization such as Amazon. All of these merchants want you to
    > contact them by Email before buying and their replies are written in
    > very broken English. Another one of their tactics is to require
    > payment through Western Union rather than Amazon. I think this is an
    > attempt to avoid Amazon's buyer protection plan.

    I have no experience with this type of sale, but if they want
    payment by Western Union or MoneyGram: STAY AWAY!

    These types of payment is untraceable and unrecoverable. To use them
    to pay for goods is the equivalent of handing over cash to a hooded
    stranger in a dark alley and expect him to honour an agreement to
    return in a week with the merchandise.
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

    Gisle Hannemyr, Dec 9, 2004

  3. George Johnston

    Charlie Self Guest

    George Johnston writes:

    > All of these merchants want you to contact them by Email before
    >buying and their replies are written in very broken English. Another one of
    >their tactics is to require payment through Western Union rather than Amazon.
    >think this is an attempt to avoid Amazon's buyer protection plan.

    Nah. It's just a flat out attempt to screw you out of your money, period. If
    you wire them the money, you can forget you ever heard of them or the money.

    Charlie Self
    "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

    Charlie Self, Dec 9, 2004
  4. One would think that an organization of Amazon's caliber would require payment
    only through them. It's a major risk to their reputation.

    George Johnston, Dec 9, 2004
  5. George Johnston

    Charlie Self Guest

    George Johnston responds:

    >One would think that an organization of Amazon's caliber would require
    >payment
    >only through them. It's a major risk to their reputation

    Is the wire payment mentioned in the ad or listing? My guess is you didn't hear
    about that until you get an email from the broker/sales twerp whatever. Amazon
    won't know about it if no one informs them. You should. Just present the facts
    to Amazon customer service. Let them take it from there.

    Charlie Self, Dec 9, 2004
  6. George Johnston

    Pete S. Guest

    On 09 Dec 2004 19:33:27 GMT, ebring (George
    Johnston) wrote:

    >Has anyone had any experience buying from a private seller who offers cameras
    >at ridiculously low prices through Amazon.com? Through Amazon. I have been
    >trying to purchase a 20D for two days now. I will purchase the camera, get a
    >confirmation from Amazon, then the order will be cancelled.. Amazon says that
    >on occasion, the seller can't complete the sale, but I have placed four orders
    >and every one has been canceled. I should have known it was too good to be
    >true, but I thought that I was safe by going through a reputable organization
    >such as Amazon. All of these merchants want you to contact them by Email before
    >buying and their replies are written in very broken English. Another one of
    >their tactics is to require payment through Western Union rather than Amazon. I
    >think this is an attempt to avoid Amazon's buyer protection plan.

    Western Union?

    Wave goodbye to your money.

    Pete S.

    www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk

    Pete S., Dec 9, 2004
  7. George Johnston

    Mark B. Guest

    "George Johnston" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone had any experience buying from a private seller who offers
    > cameras
    > at ridiculously low prices through Amazon.com? Through Amazon. I have been
    > trying to purchase a 20D for two days now. I will purchase the camera, get
    > confirmation from Amazon, then the order will be cancelled.. Amazon says
    > that
    > on occasion, the seller can't complete the sale, but I have placed four
    > orders
    > and every one has been canceled. I should have known it was too good to be
    > true, but I thought that I was safe by going through a reputable
    > organization
    > such as Amazon. All of these merchants want you to contact them by Email
    > before
    > buying and their replies are written in very broken English. Another one
    > of
    > their tactics is to require payment through Western Union rather than
    > Amazon. I
    > think this is an attempt to avoid Amazon's buyer protection plan.

    Just because it's through Amazon doesn't mean a "it's too good to be true"
    price is legitimate. Take this advice - buy it through a legit retailer
    like B&H or Adorama, or even direct through Amazon but forget about lowball
    pricing. Otherwise you're asking for a lot of frustration and possibly
    losing a lot of money.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 9, 2004
  8. George Johnston

    Tony Guest

    I suppose that if you are dumb enough to fall for this you deserve what
    you get. Let's face it there are clever con games that catch people of
    average intelligence, and there are very clever con games that catch real
    smart people too. So it only follows that there must be suckers around who
    will fall for such obvious and even pathetic cons.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 9, 2004