Private BGP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by spremkumar, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. spremkumar

    spremkumar Guest

    Hi all

    i need some advice to proceed one of my customers request to run PBG
    with us.
    The scenario goes like this ..

    customer is having 2 Corp offices one @ location A and second one
    location B.

    At Loc A hes having IBW with one SP and at Loc B with some other SP.

    Hes having interlinks between 2 of his locations i.e., Loc A&B.

    so using tht link he wants to have redundant Internet connecitivity.

    Related to SP setup all the IBW are configured in Core Routers and th
    customer links are connected to other Edge router on Both the SPs.

    Core routers are running BGP(both I and E) but the Edge routers doesn
    at this moment.

    To create PBGP we are planning to run PBGP in tht router where th
    customer is connected to both the SPs..

    Wht steps to be followed to design a robust,reliable config so tht i
    can solve the purpose for which its configured ..

    Regds
    pre

    spremkuma
    spremkumar, Dec 26, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    spremkumar <> wrote:

    Hi all

    > i need some advice to proceed one of my customers request to run PBGP

    with
    > us.
    > The scenario goes like this ..
    >
    > customer is having 2 Corp offices one @ location A and second one @

    location
    > B.
    >
    > At Loc A hes having IBW with one SP and at Loc B with some other SP.

    I don't recognize the abbreviation "IBW".

    > Hes having interlinks between 2 of his locations i.e., Loc A&B.
    >
    > so using tht link he wants to have redundant Internet connecitivity.
    >
    > Related to SP setup all the IBW are configured in Core Routers and the

    > customer links are connected to other Edge router on Both the SPs.
    >
    > Core routers are running BGP(both I and E) but the Edge routers doesnt

    at
    > this moment.
    >
    > To create PBGP we are planning to run PBGP in tht router where the

    customer
    > is connected to both the SPs..

    What do you mean by "PBGP"? I assume it's short for "Private BGP", as
    in the Subject line, but I don't understand it in this case. Do you
    mean you'll use a private ASN? I think for your purposes you'll need to
    get a unique, public ASN for your two offices.

    > Wht steps to be followed to design a robust,reliable config so tht it

    can
    > solve the purpose for which its configured ..

    The Edge routers need to be added to the IBGP mesh, and they will have
    to run EBGP with their ISPs. The ISP routers will have to be configured
    to accept the advertisements of both locations' address blocks.

    Each Edge router should have a route map that pads the AS path of the
    routes learned from the other location, so that it will only be used as
    a backup. Also, depending on how the providers configure their BGP, you
    may also need to send them a community to lower the local-preference on
    their backbones.

    Another issue is what you want to do if the interlink between the
    offices goes down -- do you want to use the Internet as a backup? There
    are two ways you can achieve this: one is to set up a tunnel between the
    offices and configure a backup route through this; the other is for each
    office to have its own ASN, so you'll learn the routes via BGP.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Dec 27, 2003

  3. spremkumar

    spremkumar Guest

    hi

    your assumption is right its Private BGP and IBW is interne
    Bandwidth.
    Since the customer needs only Internet connectivity all the time and h
    dont want to hv even a single minute Downtime.since hes having som
    applications whichs is accessed by peopl all the time from outsid
    world.

    the customer dont hve any public ip as well public ASN on his own.

    on both the side the ip block provided by the respecitive SPs.ASN w
    are taking one Private ASN for config purpose.

    interlink is mainly for the purpose of inter office connectivity to g
    out to the internet world.
    not for the connectivity between the 2 offices since they dont hv
    mirroring or any disastrous recovery running between themselves.

    At location A its connected to SP1 and for SP1 SP2 is the upstrea
    provider.

    At location B customer is directly connected with SP2,in this case
    location B we can easily advertise location As address spacein SP
    since thts the upstream for SP1 no issues in tht .

    but in Location A i need to advertise the address spae of SP2 to SP2.
    how this will be feasible in configuring the PBGP between the custome
    and the SPs ?

    pre

    spremkuma
    spremkumar, Dec 27, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    spremkumar <> wrote:

    hi

    > your assumption is right its Private BGP and IBW is internet

    Bandwidth.
    > Since the customer needs only Internet connectivity all the time and he

    dont
    > want to hv even a single minute Downtime.since hes having some

    applications
    > whichs is accessed by peopl all the time from outside

    world.

    > the customer dont hve any public ip as well public ASN on his own.

    If you don't have any public IP's, I don't think you'll be able to
    achieve this.

    However, maybe you should take a look at the chapter on ISP connections
    in the book "High Availability Networking" by Vincent Jones. It has
    some non-BGP suggestions for ISP failover.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Dec 27, 2003