    appears that google is alerting them some how.

    Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!

    I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.
    NewB, May 18, 2005

  2. NewB

    Dan Breen Guest

    Slightly off topic,
    Helsinki is lovely as well. Well worth visiting.

    Sorry.
    Dan.

    Dan Breen, May 18, 2005

  3. NewB

    gangle Guest

    "NewB" wrote
    > I did a search for "ouka"
    >
    > When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    > link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:
    >
    > www.oulu.ouka.fi
    >
    > Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    > appears that google is alerting them some how.
    >
    > Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!
    >
    > I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.

    The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy says:

    Don't panic. Cookies are just a Finlander's way of saying "Howdy."
    gangle, May 18, 2005
  4. ["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
    NewB wrote:
    > I did a search for "ouka"

    > When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    > link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:

    > www.oulu.ouka.fi

    > Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    > appears that google is alerting them some how.

    WTF? Duplicated here.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 18, 2005
  5. NewB

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    NewB took 13 lines to utter:

    >I did a search for "ouka"
    >
    >When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    >link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:
    >
    >www.oulu.ouka.fi
    >
    >Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    >appears that google is alerting them some how.
    >
    >Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!
    >
    >I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.

    You either:
    a) clicked on the first link, knowingly or otherwise,
    b) have 'go to most likely site' set in your search options.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 18, 2005
  6. °Mike° wrote:
    > In <>,
    > NewB took 13 lines to utter:
    >

    >>I did a search for "ouka"
    >>
    >>When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    >>link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:
    >>
    >>www.oulu.ouka.fi
    >>
    >>Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    >>appears that google is alerting them some how.
    >>
    >>Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!
    >>
    >>I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.

    > You either:
    > a) clicked on the first link, knowingly or otherwise,
    > b) have 'go to most likely site' set in your search options.

    I don't do either of those and I get the same cookie warning.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 18, 2005
  7. NewB

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Rôgêr took 25 lines to utter:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> In <>,
    >> NewB took 13 lines to utter:
    >>

    >>>I did a search for "ouka"
    >>>
    >>>When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    >>>link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:
    >>>
    >>>www.oulu.ouka.fi
    >>>
    >>>Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    >>>appears that google is alerting them some how.
    >>>
    >>>Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!
    >>>
    >>>I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.

    >> You either:
    >> a) clicked on the first link, knowingly or otherwise,
    >> b) have 'go to most likely site' set in your search options.

    >I don't do either of those and I get the same cookie warning.

    I don't.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 18, 2005
  8. Rôgêr wrote:

    > °Mike° wrote:

    >> In <>,

    >> NewB took 13 lines to utter:

    >>>I did a search for "ouka"

    >>>When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    >>>link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:

    >>>www.oulu.ouka.fi

    >>>Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    >>>appears that google is alerting them some how.

    >>>Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!

    >>>I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.

    >> You either: a) clicked on the first link, knowingly or otherwise, b)
    >> have 'go to most likely site' set in your search options.

    > I don't do either of those and I get the same cookie warning.

    I should've looked at source, myself, but I didn't. I did post the link
    and question in alt.www.webmaster, though, and someone caught this
    markup in that hit:

    <link rel="prefetch" href="http://www.oulu.ouka.fi/index.asp">

    I'm waiting (there) for feedback on why it would appear there. (If you
    wish to follow first-hand, the alt.www.webmaster thread is entitled
    "Cookie Q".

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 18, 2005
  9. Rôgêr wrote:
    > °Mike° wrote:
    >> In <>, NewB took 13 lines
    >> to utter:

    >>>I did a search for "ouka"

    >>>When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    >>>link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:

    >>>www.oulu.ouka.fi

    >>>Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    >>>appears that google is alerting them some how.

    >>>Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!

    >>>I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.

    >> You either: a) clicked on the first link, knowingly or otherwise, b)
    >> have 'go to most likely site' set in your search options.

    > I don't do either of those and I get the same cookie warning.

    Nor do I, and I get the cookie attempt, too. That was just a knee-jerk
    answer.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 18, 2005
  10. NewB

    Helmut Guest

    Tweak your preferences. Don't accept 3rd party cookies. Google search is
    nothing to worry about. If you want to freak, try their creepy gmail. It
    archives every address and everything you type and sends ads, though in
    text, pertaining to whatever's in the body of the messages.

    http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

    Creepy, spooky gmail.
    Helmut, May 18, 2005
  11. Helmut wrote:
    > Tweak your preferences. Don't accept 3rd party cookies. Google search is
    > nothing to worry about. If you want to freak, try their creepy gmail. It
    > archives every address and everything you type and sends ads, though in
    > text, pertaining to whatever's in the body of the messages.

    > http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

    > Creepy, spooky gmail.

    I just had an acquaintance mail me from Gmail.

    Nuh uh.

    Told him to use another method or I'd not see his mail.

    And see sig for a good related idea.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 18, 2005
  12. NewB

    gangle Guest

    "Rôgêr" wrote
    > °Mike° wrote:
    > > NewB took 13 lines to utter:
    > >

    > >>I did a search for "ouka"
    > >>
    > >>When the search results were returned, and without me clicking on any
    > >>link, the first entry requested permission to set a cookie:
    > >>
    > >>www.oulu.ouka.fi
    > >>
    > >>Just how did www.oulu.ouka.fi know I was searching for 'ouka'? It
    > >>appears that google is alerting them some how.
    > >>
    > >>Google should not notify 3rd parties of my search phrases!
    > >>
    > >>I consider that a major breach of my privacy and security.

    > > You either:
    > > a) clicked on the first link, knowingly or otherwise,
    > > b) have 'go to most likely site' set in your search options.

    > I don't do either of those and I get the same cookie warning.

    Do you owe Google and/or Finland money, too?
    gangle, May 18, 2005