    --
    Nanny

    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

    Nanny, Sep 5, 2003

  2. In article <3f58e6d8$0$28903$>,
    says...
    > I have no idea if I'm asking this on the right newsgroup, but maybe someone
    > here can at least help me on my way.......
    > I sometimes visit a site which has added a statistics page, where the name
    > of my provider and even the town where I live is visible in the visitors
    > list. Is there a way to prevent that ?

    yes, use a anon proxy. There are a number of free ones and a number of
    pay services designed to help you take back your privacy.

    /steve
    --
    Check out Cotse's Privacy Watch.
    A comprehensive information resource.

    Stephen K. Gielda, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Nanny

    Leythos Guest

    In article <3f58e6d8$0$28903$>,
    says...
    > I have no idea if I'm asking this on the right newsgroup, but maybe someone
    > here can at least help me on my way.......
    > I sometimes visit a site which has added a statistics page, where the name
    > of my provider and even the town where I live is visible in the visitors
    > list. Is there a way to prevent that ?

    Unless you run your traffic through a third-party provider (bounce it
    around the net before it goes where you want) there is no way to really
    hide it. In most cases, your IP identifies your geographical location
    because it identifies your providers IP range and information.

    There is not much to worry about unless you are doing something illegal
    or immoral (and it bothers you).

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Nanny

    Nanny Guest

    It's not illegal or immoral :) I just don't want the owner of the weblog
    I'm reading to know that I'm reading it, and as that stupid stat page even
    gives my town, that owner knows for certain that I'm reading. What I don't
    understand is that there are more people reading with the same provider, and
    I'm the only one where the name of the town is also given.

    --
    Nanny

    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

    Nanny, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Nanny

    Nanny Guest

    Well, after searching for a long time, I've found http://www.megaproxy.com/
    that allows me to surf anonymously with cookies enabled (I needed that for
    the site I wanted to go to). He must be surprised that the log is read by
    people from the US (I'm not in the US)..........

    Nanny, Sep 5, 2003