Privacy issue - how to spoof/hide IP when accessing email / usenet servers ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by spamharvestor@gmail.com, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello all.

    Currently, if someone wants privacy online, they can use proxy servers
    to spoof their originating IP. However, whenever they use their email
    program or usenet reader to up/download their messages, their IP is out
    in the open.

    I understand that VPN is an option for those who are security concious.
    However, not everyone knows and/or can afford VPN.

    What I am asking is this - suppose I want to access and up/download
    messages from a POP3 email server located in, let's say, China, and I
    don't want the Chinese government to know where I am from, is there a
    way for me to hide and/or spoof my originating IP ?
     
    , Oct 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Al Klein Guest

    On 25 Oct 2005 00:51:25 -0700, said in
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:

    >I understand that VPN is an option for those who are security concious.
    >However, not everyone knows and/or can afford VPN.


    Since there are free VPN programs, anyone who can afford a blank CD
    can afford VPN.

    >What I am asking is this - suppose I want to access and up/download
    >messages from a POP3 email server located in, let's say, China, and I
    >don't want the Chinese government to know where I am from, is there a
    >way for me to hide and/or spoof my originating IP ?


    With a proxy. But you always leave a trail that can be followed,
    regardless of how you try to hide your IP.
     
    Al Klein, Oct 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    China is in the process of installing sniffers in all their servers, so
    when someone inside China emails out anything, with for instance, the
    Chinese authority will able to trace the "NNTP-Posting-Host" and catch
    whoever did the posting.

    In fact, many Chinese dissidents have been caught by the authority that
    way.

    Even if one uses things like Stunnel and ssl, trying to defeat the
    authority, it won't work in China. The reason is that they can trace
    their original IP, even if stunnel and ssl are in used.

    That is why it's important to look for a way to spoof the originating
    IP, so that even the "nntp-posting-host" will give a IP address.

    Anyone having any idea ? To many in China, it's an issue of life and
    death.



    Al Klein wrote:
    > On 25 Oct 2005 00:51:25 -0700, said in
    > alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:
    >
    > >I understand that VPN is an option for those who are security concious.
    > >However, not everyone knows and/or can afford VPN.

    >
    > Since there are free VPN programs, anyone who can afford a blank CD
    > can afford VPN.
    >
    > >What I am asking is this - suppose I want to access and up/download
    > >messages from a POP3 email server located in, let's say, China, and I
    > >don't want the Chinese government to know where I am from, is there a
    > >way for me to hide and/or spoof my originating IP ?

    >
    > With a proxy. But you always leave a trail that can be followed,
    > regardless of how you try to hide your IP.
     
    , Oct 25, 2005
    #3
  4. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>China is in the process of installing sniffers in all their servers, so
    |>when someone inside China emails out anything, with for instance, the
    |>Chinese authority will able to trace the "NNTP-Posting-Host" and catch
    |>whoever did the posting.
    |>
    |>In fact, many Chinese dissidents have been caught by the authority that
    |>way.
    |>
    |>Even if one uses things like Stunnel and ssl, trying to defeat the
    |>authority, it won't work in China. The reason is that they can trace
    |>their original IP, even if stunnel and ssl are in used.
    |>
    |>That is why it's important to look for a way to spoof the originating
    |>IP, so that even the "nntp-posting-host" will give a IP address.
    |>
    |>Anyone having any idea ? To many in China, it's an issue of life and
    |>death.

    Might look at Hide IP
    http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/Hide_IP_22400_p/

    Looking for a site that carried Hide IP I came across this thread
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21041194.html


    |>Al Klein wrote:
    |>> On 25 Oct 2005 00:51:25 -0700, said in
    |>> alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:
    |>>
    |>> >I understand that VPN is an option for those who are security concious.
    |>> >However, not everyone knows and/or can afford VPN.
    |>>
    |>> Since there are free VPN programs, anyone who can afford a blank CD
    |>> can afford VPN.
    |>>
    |>> >What I am asking is this - suppose I want to access and up/download
    |>> >messages from a POP3 email server located in, let's say, China, and I
    |>> >don't want the Chinese government to know where I am from, is there a
    |>> >way for me to hide and/or spoof my originating IP ?
    |>>
    |>> With a proxy. But you always leave a trail that can be followed,
    |>> regardless of how you try to hide your IP.


    --
    http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/cev.html
     
    Trax, Oct 25, 2005
    #4
  5. Trax Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    |> wrote:
    |>
    |>|>China is in the process of installing sniffers in all their servers, so
    |>|>when someone inside China emails out anything, with for instance, the
    |>|>Chinese authority will able to trace the "NNTP-Posting-Host" and catch
    |>|>whoever did the posting.
    |>|>
    |>|>In fact, many Chinese dissidents have been caught by the authority that
    |>|>way.
    |>|>
    |>|>Even if one uses things like Stunnel and ssl, trying to defeat the
    |>|>authority, it won't work in China. The reason is that they can trace
    |>|>their original IP, even if stunnel and ssl are in used.
    |>|>
    |>|>That is why it's important to look for a way to spoof the originating
    |>|>IP, so that even the "nntp-posting-host" will give a IP address.
    |>|>
    |>|>Anyone having any idea ? To many in China, it's an issue of life and
    |>|>death.
    |>
    |>Might look at Hide IP
    |>http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/Hide_IP_22400_p/
    |>
    |>Looking for a site that carried Hide IP I came across this thread
    |>http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21041194.html

    Sorry bout that I guess I have an account with
    www.experts-exchange.com (www.bugmenot.com)

    The thread from there follows so you don't need to register:

    Solution Title: Hide IP address in Forums.....or Fake IP?
    asked by eazy123 on 06/28/2004 05:12PM PDT

    Hi Everytime i go on to forums they obtain your IP address, I wanted
    to know if there is any program that you can purchase or download that
    will change your IP address to a fake one or hide it so the forum
    members wont be able to retrieve it...

    Comment from MarkDozier
    Date: 06/28/2004 05:18PM PDT
    Comment

    How are you connecting to the internet ?

    Comment from eazy123
    Date: 06/28/2004 05:29PM PDT
    Author Comment

    via satelite so i have a fixed ip number and thats why I want a fake
    one so no one finds it out.

    Comment from DVation191
    Date: 06/28/2004 05:42PM PDT
    Comment

    Your best bet to hide your actual IP address when posting on forums is
    to connect via a proxy. When you request a webpage from the proxy, the
    proxy will fetch the webpage on your behalf, making the forum see only
    the IP address of the proxy, not yours.

    There are free public proxies available, and there are also paid
    services. You get what you pay for :)
    Surf from here .... http://www.anonymization.net/
    or get a list from here... http://www.proxy4free.com/index.html and
    configure your internet browser to use a proxy (Tools > Internet
    Options > "Connections" tab > "LAN Settings" button ... check off "Use
    proxy..." for Internet Explorer)

    Or paid services like http://www.anonymizer.com/ will generally give
    you better performance and options. Either way, your IP is hidden.


    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:16PM PDT
    Comment

    yea, the only way u can hide your IP is by using an anonymous proxy
    server. Here how you do it:


    First you find a proxy list. THis is the easy step. Just google 'proxy
    lists'. You will get million of results. There are millions of proxies
    out there. For example via google i found this list:
    http://www.samair.ru/proxy/.

    Then in Internet Explorer go to tools>internt options. Then go to the
    connections tab. You should see a box that says: 'Dialup and Virtual
    Private Network Settings' In the box you should see an option. For
    example I see 'Earthlink' because thats my IP. You should see
    something similar. Highlight that option and click setting. Another
    box should appear. Then check the 'Use a proxy server for this connect
    box' and type in the proxy server and the IP from the list that you
    looked up earlier. Then, just to test, go to www.whatismyip.com and
    check to see if it shows the IP of the proxy and not urs.

    And your done!

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:17PM PDT
    Comment

    correction: Then go to the connections tab. You should see a box that
    says: 'Dialup and Virtual Private Network Settings' In the box you
    should see an option. For example I see 'Earthlink' because thats my
    ISP...

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:18PM PDT
    Comment

    sorry one more correction: Then check the 'Use a proxy server for
    this connect box' and type in the proxy server and the port from the
    list that you looked up earlier.

    Comment from eazy123
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:30PM PDT
    Author Comment

    yeah i actually tried some surf annonymous programs like ghost surf
    and the forum wont let you in because it detects that you are hiding
    your IP.....the forum needs an IP from your computer and thats why I
    need a program to change my IP with a Fake one....

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:35PM PDT
    Comment

    if you use a proxy the forum wont detect that, it has no way of
    knowing.



    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:37PM PDT
    Comment

    and if you are really parnoid u can chain proxies together. so ur
    completely untraceable

    Comment from eazy123
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:45PM PDT
    Author Comment

    chain proxies? more info please hehe

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:55PM PDT
    Comment

    It is very simple, I'll explain:
    Lets take a simple example of Proxy chaining:
    [User] ---> [proxy1] ---> [proxy2] ---> [proxy3] ---> [web site]

    In the example above shows that for a proxy chain to be created, the
    user must first connect to proxy1. Once a connection is established,
    the user connects from proxy1 to proxy2, from proxy2 he connects to
    proxy3 and finally he connects to a web site or any other destination.
    If we look at the process above, we see that all together we have
    three proxies and to each proxy in this chain we call "link". The use
    of proxy chaining is very useful when you try to stay anonymous on the
    Internet because if someone tries to follow your tracks it will find
    the IP (Internet Protocol) of Proxy4. The problem with proxy chaining
    and with proxy servers in general is that they "die out" in few weeks
    and if one "link" is dead the entire chain is broken.
    Even though you will never be totally anonymous of the Internet and no
    matter what will you use. The concept of using proxy chaining is to
    make the tracking work much harder than before.


    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:56PM PDT
    Comment

    ill tell u how to exactly do it in internet explorer in a sec...

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 07:58PM PDT
    Comment

    so instead of typing in 1 proxy you can do something like this:

    http://proxya:port/http://proxyb:port/http://proxyC:port/http://proxyd:port/



    Comment from eazy123
    Date: 06/28/2004 08:46PM PDT
    Author Comment

    you stated - Even though you will never be totally anonymous of the
    Internet and no matter what will you use. The concept of using proxy
    chaining is to make the tracking work much harder than before.

    so there is still a way they can track you?

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/28/2004 09:15PM PDT
    Comment

    theoritaclly yes, but practically no. Keep in mind to track you, they
    would have to contact the anonymous proxy and ask them for your IP.
    99% of anonymous proxies dont keep logs. If you are chaining proxies
    together then it is almost imposible to track you. I'll explain:

    Ill use this model from before:
    [User] ---> [proxy1] ---> [proxy2] ---> [proxy3] ---> [web site]

    The website would have to contact proxt3 and then get the IP of proxy
    2. Then the website would have to contact the proxy 2 to get the IP of
    proxy 1. Then the website would have to contact proxy 1 to get your
    IP. Keep in mind most proxies don't keep logs, as I have mentioned
    before. Thus it is almost impossile the odds are .000000001 % that
    they'll get ur IP. Also the proxy may withhold your IP even if they
    have it, unless u tried to mess w/ a site, because they are NOT
    obligated to give it to anyone.

    NO ONE WOULD GO THROUGH SUCH TROUBLE TO TRY TO FIND YOUR IP!!!!!!!!!!!
    I recommend using 1 proxy.



    Comment from DVation191
    Date: 06/29/2004 08:34AM PDT
    Comment

    yea...proxy...like i said :)

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 08:48AM PDT
    Comment

    u were incorrect about how to confgure a proxy in IE...

    Comment from DVation191
    Date: 06/29/2004 10:03AM PDT
    Comment

    not if you are on high speed internet.

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 02:49PM PDT
    Comment

    ive had DSL and Broadband and my way has worked both times...

    Comment from DVation191
    Date: 06/29/2004 05:04PM PDT
    Comment

    andrey_2007, you won't have any entries in 'Dialup and Virtual
    Private Network Settings' unless you have a dialup account. You have a
    dial up account..."Earthlink". If you don't have a dial up account,
    you cant select your isp in the list, and therefore you will not be
    able to hit the seetings but like you suggest. DSL *is* broadband so I
    don't know why you are claiming to have had both DSL *and* broadband.
    Cable internet also has Dial Up connections in that list. In each of
    the above scenarios you need to add your proxy settings in the manner
    I have stated above. I have tried and used this solution and did not
    need an entry in my dial up list...which would be impossible since I
    use cable internet!

    I am not wrong, and you are not wrong. Your way only needs to be used
    if you have dial up. My way needs to be used if you do not. I am not
    incorrect. Be careful what you say... I'd hate to see you tell
    microsoft they don't know how to use their own products since they
    clearly state this is how to configure a proxy in the IE help file.

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 06:50PM PDT
    Comment

    first have I have Earthlink DSL. second, you are right dsl and
    broadband are the same thing, i ment DSL and Cable. Sorry for the
    mixup.

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 06:51PM PDT
    Comment

    quick correction: firstly, i have earthlink dsl.

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 06:53PM PDT
    Comment

    and one more thing, the people who write the Microsoft help file are
    not gods, they are ordinary people like u and me. so u should view the
    microsoft help file w/ that much veneration ;)

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 06:54PM PDT
    Comment

    *shouldn't view the microsoft...


    <sorry, i cant type today :( >

    Comment from DVation191
    Date: 06/29/2004 07:03PM PDT
    Comment

    Your DSL puts an entry in the dial up connections list because it
    requires a user name and password. Not that it matters...even if you
    configure that connection for a proxy its only a per-connection
    setting ... (notice it says it does not apply to other connections) my
    original post applies to all connections, whether listed in the dial
    up connections list or not.

    regarding the IE help file...I didn't need to use it to make my post,
    I used it to reinforce the fact that the information I provided was
    not "incorrect" as you mistakenly quoted ... "u were incorrect about
    how to confgure a proxy in IE..." ... the help file only reaffirms
    that I provided accurate information for the author of the question.

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 07:15PM PDT
    Comment

    when i configure my dsl using the way i mentioned, it apply to all
    connections (for me). i'm speaking from experience.

    Comment from eazy123
    Date: 06/29/2004 09:36PM PDT
    Author Comment

    right guys anyways so which proxy program do you guys recommend that
    works on forums and has been tested?

    Comment from andrey_2007
    Date: 06/29/2004 09:39PM PDT
    Comment

    why use a program? there are plenty of free lists on the internet,
    that work. and i have already told u how to configure it in IE. so
    basically ur all set.

    -andrey

    Comment from eazy123
    Date: 07/01/2004 12:41AM PDT
    Author Comment

    okay cool but i dont want to keep testing a proxy and if its back
    listed then i have to keep trying....is there a program that does all
    that for you? and if so which one? thanks for your help.

    Accepted Answer from andrey_2007
    Date: 07/01/2004 03:23PM PDT
    Grade: A
    Accepted Answer

    dont worry proxies are stable. most proxies are up 24 hrs a day. there
    is a program called steganos... or something, that connects to proxies
    for you, but iz a pretty big waste of money. since u can just connect
    to a proxy, which will be up for a while.

    Comment from turn123
    Date: 07/06/2004 03:44AM PDT
    Comment

    eazy123, Please respond to the comments from the Experts.
    See: http://www.experts-exchange.com/help.jsp#hi49 Thank you, turn123
    (s)

    As this post is not the answer to your question, PLEASE DON'T ACCEPT
    IT AS AN ANSWER.

    Comment from beda79
    Date: 07/27/2004 05:48AM PDT
    Comment

    check out http://www.publicproxyservers.com
    there are a lot of free anonymous proxies, partly with high anonymity,
    and the lists are updated everyday, i always use one of these if i
    want to hide my ip, never had any troubles

    Comment from ibradshaw
    Date: 07/28/2004 04:02AM PDT
    Comment

    Go here (http://www.steganos.com) and install Internet Anonym 6.

    Works a treat by randomly altering between free proxy servers
    (anywhere from every second to every minute or so).

    Comment from OafyC
    Date: 07/29/2004 01:07AM PDT
    Comment

    I second the recommendation for Steganos Internet Anonym 6. I
    currently use the pro version. I am also considering purchasing a
    program called Metropipe from http://www.metropipe.net/. Here is the
    description:

    The MetroPipe Tunneler creates an encrypted tunnel which actively
    protects your web sessions, making it impossible for eavesdroppers in
    the Internet's Spy Zones to compromise your privacy. It also makes you
    anonymous, as the Tunneler obscures your internet address and location
    from all web servers.

    You may want to have a look at that if you are as paranoid as I am.

    Comment from ibradshaw
    Date: 07/29/2004 01:17AM PDT
    Comment

    That looks like a good idea, but still uses there central server so
    its not truely anonymous since they will know what is happening. The
    1Gb per month limit seems a little low as well - if you stream radio
    etc. you could easily fill that up in a month...

    I presume they track what you do, otherwise they would never be able
    to enforce the 1Gb limit... seems a little suspect to me! (the synical
    view maybe...)

    Comment from OafyC
    Date: 07/29/2004 01:50AM PDT
    Comment

    Well here's their answer about tracking bandwidth:

    Do you keep logs?

    Only generic, aggregate statistics that are necessary for the
    performance of our system, and email addresses for contacting our
    customers at renewal time. We do not have any information that can
    identify details of your personal usage, save for bandwidth, for which
    we sometimes charge. And even old bandwidth logs are deleted
    regularly.

    The 1GB limit is low, but I probably wouldn't be using this for
    everything that I did.

    Here is another one that is mainly for getting around firewalls but it
    accomplishes the same thing. Their is an unlimited bandwidth option
    as well.
    http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/solutions/http_tunnel/client.asp

    You are right about them keeping logs though. We can never rely on
    what the site says to be the truth. They could for all we know be a
    government agency.

    Comment from fetchmaster
    Date: 09/20/2004 03:05AM PDT
    Comment

    Some of the online tools that helps to obfuscate the ip address of
    your machine. It actually converts the IP to a number long format.
    Some of them are follows.


    http://www.zend.com/codex.php?id=181&single=1 (script source)
    or
    http://www.civiconarch.com/senselabs/ip_hider.php (online)

    But these days i think many browsers dont support this format.

    Comment from zuluoo
    Date: 10/20/2004 09:44PM PDT
    Comment

    I'm pleased with some of the answers about chain proxy. However, This
    is my first entry for this site, and I want to add some of the things
    i know. I'm a user of very strict country and my isp blocked every
    known proxy tunnels for because they are the sole ISP of my country.
    So, most of the time i've to surf using proxy tunnel softwares to even
    loginto free e-mail services like yahoo or msn. I see that you want
    unlimited bandwidth for proxy tunneling. One good program that might
    work for u is from http://your-freedom.net . It's easy to setup
    features and alternative proxy servers make it impossiable for my isp
    to block it so far. And it free. What more you want, Right? Well,
    you can even relay ip for others if you know how to setup. It has
    downlink or uplink speed up to 1024k ( it depand on your connection
    speed) and as for me even with dialup connection it runs smoothly.
    You need to subscribe to their website to use it... but it's free, and
    they don't send spam! Does it suit with your questions? However..
    this program not only hide you from any ip sniffers, it can use to any
    bann site that i've encounter... every port that my isp bann, and it
    work for sock 4/5 for IM and FTP services.
    Here are some of the programs that might also suit you,
    https://proxify.com <-- it's free web base tunneling but you have to
    pay if you want https for extensive tunneling
    http://primedius.com <-- it's the fastest tunneling available, but my
    isp blocked it (so i don't think they are that smart, :)
    http://hopster.com <--very good tunneling too and it's very easy to
    setup.. (you don't even need to setup.. :D ) but it's good for p2p and
    IM like yahoo and messenger


    Comment from ridesd
    Date: 02/04/2005 06:13PM PST
    Comment

    You guys are awesome! I love this place =)

    Comment from rajendraone
    Date: 02/16/2005 10:33AM PST
    Comment

    ALERT EVERYBODY! <ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!>
    http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/ip_test_result_nocache


    I have some question on using proxies.
    You guys told me that the proxies hide your IP, rite?
    I am connected to my local ISP via dialup connection.
    I find that every of my request goes through their proxy. Say at a
    time I am assigned an IP address of 200.200.200.50 and my ISP proxy
    has an IP address of 200.200.200.10.
    When i checked my IP address thru some site (like
    http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/ip_test_result_nocache) they
    have shown two address.
    One is the proxy 200.200.200.10
    An my real IP as 200.200.200.50

    And again, I add some public proxy IP address from the internet (say,
    201.201.201.10). The whatismyipaddress again shows two IPs i am
    connected through. The proxy as 201.201.201.10 and My real IP address
    as 200.200.200.50.

    SO I FIND THAT MY REAL IP ADDRESS IS ALWAYS KNOWN.

    Upon quering i learned that this is a serious security falw in JAVA.
    Due to security fla in JAVA , the applet bypasses your proxy. Besides,
    The java applet can also read you localetwork IP even if its your
    private IP.

    SO, You cant hide you IP so easily using proxy. One can easily detect
    by above mentioned way.
    If You want privacy, Justdisable Java in your Browser.
    If you still want you java to work. Then use firewalls.

    I recommend the site.
    http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/ip_test_result_nocache


    Rajendra Adhikari.






    Comment from rajendraone
    Date: 02/16/2005 10:26PM PST
    Comment

    If you get this message in the above site then your real IP has not
    been known. Its because you are using Windows X, 2000 or later. They
    simply dont have JVM installed in their machine. However, if your PC
    does load some java applet then this should show your real IP whatever
    proxy trick you get through.

    If you get,
    Warning: Can't load data of java applet. The test is not complete.
    in my above recommended site then probably you dont have JVM. Your
    real IP cannot be known, you are safe, but you always missed to
    dispaly anykind of java applet in internet. JVM is automatically
    installed in Windows 98.

    Rajendra Adhikari.

    Comment from SEAFROG
    Date: 03/24/2005 12:19AM PST
    Comment

    Download Firefox browser (www.getfirefox.com) and download the
    extension SWITCHPROXY. (http://mozmonkey.com/switchproxy/)

    Now, go to switchproxy preference and load this URL
    http://www.steganos.com/?area=updateproxylist.

    This will load tons of proxies.

    When you activate Switchproxy, your ip address will change every 4 - 8
    seconds based on your preference.

    Comment from MichaelSeare
    Date: 03/27/2005 02:08PM PST
    Comment

    Even though using FireFox's SWITHCPROXY would switch the IP every 4-8
    seconds, isn't it true that if the site requires cookies they could
    record a unique id in your cookie and would know it's the same
    computer for that particular session? If you didn't delete your
    cookies they could also track you from session to session, day to day.
    Yes, they may never know your IP but they could connect all of your
    sessions together internally which may give away some information you
    didn't care to divulge.

    So wouldn't you need both IP switching and a cookie auto deletion
    feature to stay anonymous?

    Comment from Radjehuty
    Date: 05/09/2005 10:19AM PDT
    Comment

    Actually If you all would like to try it, there is a reletively new
    service that is FREE. There is a program called TOR which basically
    allows you to connect to volunteer proxy hosts for you. Just go on
    Google.com and Search for TOR (Second link I believe). They have
    pretty good instructions, but it is quite reliable.

    Comment from NatSharp
    Date: 08/01/2005 03:34PM PDT
    Comment

    1) Disable Java
    2) Get a Firewall - Disable incoming connections
    3) Run through multiple Proxies
    4) Change your Software (O.S.) reported MAC address everytime you boot
    up
    5) Use Linux
    6) Update your Linux Distro
    7) HF and GL (have fun and good luck)

    Comment from carloselfaite
    Date: 09/16/2005 04:39AM PDT
    Comment

    I have an optical fiber connection *(600MB/s) in a server machine,if I
    use proxys I would lose bandwidth?

    --
    http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/cev.html
     
    Trax, Oct 25, 2005
    #5
  6. Guest

    Re: Privacy issue - how to spoof/hide IP when accessing email / usenetservers ?

    Hi,

    You may also use a ssh-tunnel service. You may want to check:
    www.trilightzone.org/services.htm

    Greetz,

    Stingray

    wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Currently, if someone wants privacy online, they can use proxy servers
    > to spoof their originating IP. However, whenever they use their email
    > program or usenet reader to up/download their messages, their IP is out
    > in the open.
    >
    > I understand that VPN is an option for those who are security concious.
    > However, not everyone knows and/or can afford VPN.
    >
    > What I am asking is this - suppose I want to access and up/download
    > messages from a POP3 email server located in, let's say, China, and I
    > don't want the Chinese government to know where I am from, is there a
    > way for me to hide and/or spoof my originating IP ?
    >
     
    , Oct 25, 2005
    #6
  7. Al Klein Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:00:05 -0700, Trax <>
    said in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:

    >Looking for a site that carried Hide IP I came across this thread
    >http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21041194.html


    Proxies only hide your IP from the site they connect you to - not to
    the authorities.

    Changing your IP only guarantees one thing - that packets destined for
    "you" (the changed IP) never get to 'you' (the real IP).

    It's like ordering things by mail and giving a fake address. What's
    the point?
     
    Al Klein, Oct 25, 2005
    #7
  8. Guest

    Thank you, and thanks all, for your input.

    The suggestions that are listed are well thought of, but they touch on
    the surfing issue, that is, if you are on the web site of the Internet.

    However, if you are on the usenet/nntp/smtp/pop/imap site of the Net,
    there is no way to utilize any of the "proxy server" at all, because
    the connection is a direct connection : [user] -----> [mail/usenet
    server]

    Notice that there is NOTHING in between them, and therefore, the user's
    IP is exposed, in clear text. If someone tap in between the [user] and
    the [mail server], they can know who the originator, which server is
    being used, and the time stamp, et cetera.

    Even if you employ tunneling tactic, the originating user and time
    stamp can still be obtained, and it won't take much to trace back to
    who originate the tunneling.

    This is exactly the tactic the Chinese regime is employing, to catch
    the dissidents.

    For those dissidents, they need something that can hide the originating
    IP, preferably from the [user] side, so that if anyone tapped in
    between the [user] and the [mail/nntp server], they would get a false
    IP, and that protects the [user].

    That is what is urgently needed.



    Trax wrote:
    > Trax <> wrote:
    >
    > |> wrote:
    > |>
    > |>|>China is in the process of installing sniffers in all their servers, so
    > |>|>when someone inside China emails out anything, with for instance, the
    > |>|>Chinese authority will able to trace the "NNTP-Posting-Host" and catch
    > |>|>whoever did the posting.
    > |>|>
    > |>|>In fact, many Chinese dissidents have been caught by the authority that
    > |>|>way.
    > |>|>
    > |>|>Even if one uses things like Stunnel and ssl, trying to defeat the
    > |>|>authority, it won't work in China. The reason is that they can trace
    > |>|>their original IP, even if stunnel and ssl are in used.
    > |>|>
    > |>|>That is why it's important to look for a way to spoof the originating
    > |>|>IP, so that even the "nntp-posting-host" will give a IP address.
    > |>|>
    > |>|>Anyone having any idea ? To many in China, it's an issue of life and
    > |>|>death.
    > |>
    > |>Might look at Hide IP
    > |>http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/Hide_IP_22400_p/
    > |>
    > |>Looking for a site that carried Hide IP I came across this thread
    > |>http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21041194.html
    >
    > Sorry bout that I guess I have an account with
    > www.experts-exchange.com (www.bugmenot.com)
    >
    > The thread from there follows so you don't need to register:
    >
    > Solution Title: Hide IP address in Forums.....or Fake IP?
    > asked by eazy123 on 06/28/2004 05:12PM PDT
    >
    > Hi Everytime i go on to forums they obtain your IP address, I wanted
    > to know if there is any program that you can purchase or download that
    > will change your IP address to a fake one or hide it so the forum
    > members wont be able to retrieve it...
    >
    > Comment from MarkDozier
    > Date: 06/28/2004 05:18PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > How are you connecting to the internet ?
    >
    > Comment from eazy123
    > Date: 06/28/2004 05:29PM PDT
    > Author Comment
    >
    > via satelite so i have a fixed ip number and thats why I want a fake
    > one so no one finds it out.
    >
    > Comment from DVation191
    > Date: 06/28/2004 05:42PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > Your best bet to hide your actual IP address when posting on forums is
    > to connect via a proxy. When you request a webpage from the proxy, the
    > proxy will fetch the webpage on your behalf, making the forum see only
    > the IP address of the proxy, not yours.
    >
    > There are free public proxies available, and there are also paid
    > services. You get what you pay for :)
    > Surf from here .... http://www.anonymization.net/
    > or get a list from here... http://www.proxy4free.com/index.html and
    > configure your internet browser to use a proxy (Tools > Internet
    > Options > "Connections" tab > "LAN Settings" button ... check off "Use
    > proxy..." for Internet Explorer)
    >
    > Or paid services like http://www.anonymizer.com/ will generally give
    > you better performance and options. Either way, your IP is hidden.
    >
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:16PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > yea, the only way u can hide your IP is by using an anonymous proxy
    > server. Here how you do it:
    >
    >
    > First you find a proxy list. THis is the easy step. Just google 'proxy
    > lists'. You will get million of results. There are millions of proxies
    > out there. For example via google i found this list:
    > http://www.samair.ru/proxy/.
    >
    > Then in Internet Explorer go to tools>internt options. Then go to the
    > connections tab. You should see a box that says: 'Dialup and Virtual
    > Private Network Settings' In the box you should see an option. For
    > example I see 'Earthlink' because thats my IP. You should see
    > something similar. Highlight that option and click setting. Another
    > box should appear. Then check the 'Use a proxy server for this connect
    > box' and type in the proxy server and the IP from the list that you
    > looked up earlier. Then, just to test, go to www.whatismyip.com and
    > check to see if it shows the IP of the proxy and not urs.
    >
    > And your done!
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:17PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > correction: Then go to the connections tab. You should see a box that
    > says: 'Dialup and Virtual Private Network Settings' In the box you
    > should see an option. For example I see 'Earthlink' because thats my
    > ISP...
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:18PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > sorry one more correction: Then check the 'Use a proxy server for
    > this connect box' and type in the proxy server and the port from the
    > list that you looked up earlier.
    >
    > Comment from eazy123
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:30PM PDT
    > Author Comment
    >
    > yeah i actually tried some surf annonymous programs like ghost surf
    > and the forum wont let you in because it detects that you are hiding
    > your IP.....the forum needs an IP from your computer and thats why I
    > need a program to change my IP with a Fake one....
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:35PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > if you use a proxy the forum wont detect that, it has no way of
    > knowing.
    >
    >
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:37PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > and if you are really parnoid u can chain proxies together. so ur
    > completely untraceable
    >
    > Comment from eazy123
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:45PM PDT
    > Author Comment
    >
    > chain proxies? more info please hehe
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:55PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > It is very simple, I'll explain:
    > Lets take a simple example of Proxy chaining:
    > [User] ---> [proxy1] ---> [proxy2] ---> [proxy3] ---> [web site]
    >
    > In the example above shows that for a proxy chain to be created, the
    > user must first connect to proxy1. Once a connection is established,
    > the user connects from proxy1 to proxy2, from proxy2 he connects to
    > proxy3 and finally he connects to a web site or any other destination.
    > If we look at the process above, we see that all together we have
    > three proxies and to each proxy in this chain we call "link". The use
    > of proxy chaining is very useful when you try to stay anonymous on the
    > Internet because if someone tries to follow your tracks it will find
    > the IP (Internet Protocol) of Proxy4. The problem with proxy chaining
    > and with proxy servers in general is that they "die out" in few weeks
    > and if one "link" is dead the entire chain is broken.
    > Even though you will never be totally anonymous of the Internet and no
    > matter what will you use. The concept of using proxy chaining is to
    > make the tracking work much harder than before.
    >
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:56PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > ill tell u how to exactly do it in internet explorer in a sec...
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 07:58PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > so instead of typing in 1 proxy you can do something like this:
    >
    > http://proxya:port/http://proxyb:port/http://proxyC:port/http://proxyd:port/
    >
    >
    >
    > Comment from eazy123
    > Date: 06/28/2004 08:46PM PDT
    > Author Comment
    >
    > you stated - Even though you will never be totally anonymous of the
    > Internet and no matter what will you use. The concept of using proxy
    > chaining is to make the tracking work much harder than before.
    >
    > so there is still a way they can track you?
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/28/2004 09:15PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > theoritaclly yes, but practically no. Keep in mind to track you, they
    > would have to contact the anonymous proxy and ask them for your IP.
    > 99% of anonymous proxies dont keep logs. If you are chaining proxies
    > together then it is almost imposible to track you. I'll explain:
    >
    > Ill use this model from before:
    > [User] ---> [proxy1] ---> [proxy2] ---> [proxy3] ---> [web site]
    >
    > The website would have to contact proxt3 and then get the IP of proxy
    > 2. Then the website would have to contact the proxy 2 to get the IP of
    > proxy 1. Then the website would have to contact proxy 1 to get your
    > IP. Keep in mind most proxies don't keep logs, as I have mentioned
    > before. Thus it is almost impossile the odds are .000000001 % that
    > they'll get ur IP. Also the proxy may withhold your IP even if they
    > have it, unless u tried to mess w/ a site, because they are NOT
    > obligated to give it to anyone.
    >
    > NO ONE WOULD GO THROUGH SUCH TROUBLE TO TRY TO FIND YOUR IP!!!!!!!!!!!
    > I recommend using 1 proxy.
    >
    >
    >
    > Comment from DVation191
    > Date: 06/29/2004 08:34AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > yea...proxy...like i said :)
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 08:48AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > u were incorrect about how to confgure a proxy in IE...
    >
    > Comment from DVation191
    > Date: 06/29/2004 10:03AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > not if you are on high speed internet.
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 02:49PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > ive had DSL and Broadband and my way has worked both times...
    >
    > Comment from DVation191
    > Date: 06/29/2004 05:04PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > andrey_2007, you won't have any entries in 'Dialup and Virtual
    > Private Network Settings' unless you have a dialup account. You have a
    > dial up account..."Earthlink". If you don't have a dial up account,
    > you cant select your isp in the list, and therefore you will not be
    > able to hit the seetings but like you suggest. DSL *is* broadband so I
    > don't know why you are claiming to have had both DSL *and* broadband.
    > Cable internet also has Dial Up connections in that list. In each of
    > the above scenarios you need to add your proxy settings in the manner
    > I have stated above. I have tried and used this solution and did not
    > need an entry in my dial up list...which would be impossible since I
    > use cable internet!
    >
    > I am not wrong, and you are not wrong. Your way only needs to be used
    > if you have dial up. My way needs to be used if you do not. I am not
    > incorrect. Be careful what you say... I'd hate to see you tell
    > microsoft they don't know how to use their own products since they
    > clearly state this is how to configure a proxy in the IE help file.
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 06:50PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > first have I have Earthlink DSL. second, you are right dsl and
    > broadband are the same thing, i ment DSL and Cable. Sorry for the
    > mixup.
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 06:51PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > quick correction: firstly, i have earthlink dsl.
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 06:53PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > and one more thing, the people who write the Microsoft help file are
    > not gods, they are ordinary people like u and me. so u should view the
    > microsoft help file w/ that much veneration ;)
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 06:54PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > *shouldn't view the microsoft...
    >
    >
    > <sorry, i cant type today :( >
    >
    > Comment from DVation191
    > Date: 06/29/2004 07:03PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > Your DSL puts an entry in the dial up connections list because it
    > requires a user name and password. Not that it matters...even if you
    > configure that connection for a proxy its only a per-connection
    > setting ... (notice it says it does not apply to other connections) my
    > original post applies to all connections, whether listed in the dial
    > up connections list or not.
    >
    > regarding the IE help file...I didn't need to use it to make my post,
    > I used it to reinforce the fact that the information I provided was
    > not "incorrect" as you mistakenly quoted ... "u were incorrect about
    > how to confgure a proxy in IE..." ... the help file only reaffirms
    > that I provided accurate information for the author of the question.
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 07:15PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > when i configure my dsl using the way i mentioned, it apply to all
    > connections (for me). i'm speaking from experience.
    >
    > Comment from eazy123
    > Date: 06/29/2004 09:36PM PDT
    > Author Comment
    >
    > right guys anyways so which proxy program do you guys recommend that
    > works on forums and has been tested?
    >
    > Comment from andrey_2007
    > Date: 06/29/2004 09:39PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > why use a program? there are plenty of free lists on the internet,
    > that work. and i have already told u how to configure it in IE. so
    > basically ur all set.
    >
    > -andrey
    >
    > Comment from eazy123
    > Date: 07/01/2004 12:41AM PDT
    > Author Comment
    >
    > okay cool but i dont want to keep testing a proxy and if its back
    > listed then i have to keep trying....is there a program that does all
    > that for you? and if so which one? thanks for your help.
    >
    > Accepted Answer from andrey_2007
    > Date: 07/01/2004 03:23PM PDT
    > Grade: A
    > Accepted Answer
    >
    > dont worry proxies are stable. most proxies are up 24 hrs a day. there
    > is a program called steganos... or something, that connects to proxies
    > for you, but iz a pretty big waste of money. since u can just connect
    > to a proxy, which will be up for a while.
    >
    > Comment from turn123
    > Date: 07/06/2004 03:44AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > eazy123, Please respond to the comments from the Experts.
    > See: http://www.experts-exchange.com/help.jsp#hi49 Thank you, turn123
    > (s)
    >
    > As this post is not the answer to your question, PLEASE DON'T ACCEPT
    > IT AS AN ANSWER.
    >
    > Comment from beda79
    > Date: 07/27/2004 05:48AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > check out http://www.publicproxyservers.com
    > there are a lot of free anonymous proxies, partly with high anonymity,
    > and the lists are updated everyday, i always use one of these if i
    > want to hide my ip, never had any troubles
    >
    > Comment from ibradshaw
    > Date: 07/28/2004 04:02AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > Go here (http://www.steganos.com) and install Internet Anonym 6.
    >
    > Works a treat by randomly altering between free proxy servers
    > (anywhere from every second to every minute or so).
    >
    > Comment from OafyC
    > Date: 07/29/2004 01:07AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > I second the recommendation for Steganos Internet Anonym 6. I
    > currently use the pro version. I am also considering purchasing a
    > program called Metropipe from http://www.metropipe.net/. Here is the
    > description:
    >
    > The MetroPipe Tunneler creates an encrypted tunnel which actively
    > protects your web sessions, making it impossible for eavesdroppers in
    > the Internet's Spy Zones to compromise your privacy. It also makes you
    > anonymous, as the Tunneler obscures your internet address and location
    > from all web servers.
    >
    > You may want to have a look at that if you are as paranoid as I am.
    >
    > Comment from ibradshaw
    > Date: 07/29/2004 01:17AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > That looks like a good idea, but still uses there central server so
    > its not truely anonymous since they will know what is happening. The
    > 1Gb per month limit seems a little low as well - if you stream radio
    > etc. you could easily fill that up in a month...
    >
    > I presume they track what you do, otherwise they would never be able
    > to enforce the 1Gb limit... seems a little suspect to me! (the synical
    > view maybe...)
    >
    > Comment from OafyC
    > Date: 07/29/2004 01:50AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > Well here's their answer about tracking bandwidth:
    >
    > Do you keep logs?
    >
    > Only generic, aggregate statistics that are necessary for the
    > performance of our system, and email addresses for contacting our
    > customers at renewal time. We do not have any information that can
    > identify details of your personal usage, save for bandwidth, for which
    > we sometimes charge. And even old bandwidth logs are deleted
    > regularly.
    >
    > The 1GB limit is low, but I probably wouldn't be using this for
    > everything that I did.
    >
    > Here is another one that is mainly for getting around firewalls but it
    > accomplishes the same thing. Their is an unlimited bandwidth option
    > as well.
    > http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/solutions/http_tunnel/client.asp
    >
    > You are right about them keeping logs though. We can never rely on
    > what the site says to be the truth. They could for all we know be a
    > government agency.
    >
    > Comment from fetchmaster
    > Date: 09/20/2004 03:05AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > Some of the online tools that helps to obfuscate the ip address of
    > your machine. It actually converts the IP to a number long format.
    > Some of them are follows.
    >
    >
    > http://www.zend.com/codex.php?id=181&single=1 (script source)
    > or
    > http://www.civiconarch.com/senselabs/ip_hider.php (online)
    >
    > But these days i think many browsers dont support this format.
    >
    > Comment from zuluoo
    > Date: 10/20/2004 09:44PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > I'm pleased with some of the answers about chain proxy. However, This
    > is my first entry for this site, and I want to add some of the things
    > i know. I'm a user of very strict country and my isp blocked every
    > known proxy tunnels for because they are the sole ISP of my country.
    > So, most of the time i've to surf using proxy tunnel softwares to even
    > loginto free e-mail services like yahoo or msn. I see that you want
    > unlimited bandwidth for proxy tunneling. One good program that might
    > work for u is from http://your-freedom.net . It's easy to setup
    > features and alternative proxy servers make it impossiable for my isp
    > to block it so far. And it free. What more you want, Right? Well,
    > you can even relay ip for others if you know how to setup. It has
    > downlink or uplink speed up to 1024k ( it depand on your connection
    > speed) and as for me even with dialup connection it runs smoothly.
    > You need to subscribe to their website to use it... but it's free, and
    > they don't send spam! Does it suit with your questions? However..
    > this program not only hide you from any ip sniffers, it can use to any
    > bann site that i've encounter... every port that my isp bann, and it
    > work for sock 4/5 for IM and FTP services.
    > Here are some of the programs that might also suit you,
    > https://proxify.com <-- it's free web base tunneling but you have to
    > pay if you want https for extensive tunneling
    > http://primedius.com <-- it's the fastest tunneling available, but my
    > isp blocked it (so i don't think they are that smart, :)
    > http://hopster.com <--very good tunneling too and it's very easy to
    > setup.. (you don't even need to setup.. :D ) but it's good for p2p and
    > IM like yahoo and messenger
    >
    >
    > Comment from ridesd
    > Date: 02/04/2005 06:13PM PST
    > Comment
    >
    > You guys are awesome! I love this place =)
    >
    > Comment from rajendraone
    > Date: 02/16/2005 10:33AM PST
    > Comment
    >
    > ALERT EVERYBODY! <ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!>
    > http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/ip_test_result_nocache
    >
    >
    > I have some question on using proxies.
    > You guys told me that the proxies hide your IP, rite?
    > I am connected to my local ISP via dialup connection.
    > I find that every of my request goes through their proxy. Say at a
    > time I am assigned an IP address of 200.200.200.50 and my ISP proxy
    > has an IP address of 200.200.200.10.
    > When i checked my IP address thru some site (like
    > http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/ip_test_result_nocache) they
    > have shown two address.
    > One is the proxy 200.200.200.10
    > An my real IP as 200.200.200.50
    >
    > And again, I add some public proxy IP address from the internet (say,
    > 201.201.201.10). The whatismyipaddress again shows two IPs i am
    > connected through. The proxy as 201.201.201.10 and My real IP address
    > as 200.200.200.50.
    >
    > SO I FIND THAT MY REAL IP ADDRESS IS ALWAYS KNOWN.
    >
    > Upon quering i learned that this is a serious security falw in JAVA.
    > Due to security fla in JAVA , the applet bypasses your proxy. Besides,
    > The java applet can also read you localetwork IP even if its your
    > private IP.
    >
    > SO, You cant hide you IP so easily using proxy. One can easily detect
    > by above mentioned way.
    > If You want privacy, Justdisable Java in your Browser.
    > If you still want you java to work. Then use firewalls.
    >
    > I recommend the site.
    > http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/ip_test_result_nocache
    >
    >
    > Rajendra Adhikari.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Comment from rajendraone
    > Date: 02/16/2005 10:26PM PST
    > Comment
    >
    > If you get this message in the above site then your real IP has not
    > been known. Its because you are using Windows X, 2000 or later. They
    > simply dont have JVM installed in their machine. However, if your PC
    > does load some java applet then this should show your real IP whatever
    > proxy trick you get through.
    >
    > If you get,
    > Warning: Can't load data of java applet. The test is not complete.
    > in my above recommended site then probably you dont have JVM. Your
    > real IP cannot be known, you are safe, but you always missed to
    > dispaly anykind of java applet in internet. JVM is automatically
    > installed in Windows 98.
    >
    > Rajendra Adhikari.
    >
    > Comment from SEAFROG
    > Date: 03/24/2005 12:19AM PST
    > Comment
    >
    > Download Firefox browser (www.getfirefox.com) and download the
    > extension SWITCHPROXY. (http://mozmonkey.com/switchproxy/)
    >
    > Now, go to switchproxy preference and load this URL
    > http://www.steganos.com/?area=updateproxylist.
    >
    > This will load tons of proxies.
    >
    > When you activate Switchproxy, your ip address will change every 4 - 8
    > seconds based on your preference.
    >
    > Comment from MichaelSeare
    > Date: 03/27/2005 02:08PM PST
    > Comment
    >
    > Even though using FireFox's SWITHCPROXY would switch the IP every 4-8
    > seconds, isn't it true that if the site requires cookies they could
    > record a unique id in your cookie and would know it's the same
    > computer for that particular session? If you didn't delete your
    > cookies they could also track you from session to session, day to day.
    > Yes, they may never know your IP but they could connect all of your
    > sessions together internally which may give away some information you
    > didn't care to divulge.
    >
    > So wouldn't you need both IP switching and a cookie auto deletion
    > feature to stay anonymous?
    >
    > Comment from Radjehuty
    > Date: 05/09/2005 10:19AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > Actually If you all would like to try it, there is a reletively new
    > service that is FREE. There is a program called TOR which basically
    > allows you to connect to volunteer proxy hosts for you. Just go on
    > Google.com and Search for TOR (Second link I believe). They have
    > pretty good instructions, but it is quite reliable.
    >
    > Comment from NatSharp
    > Date: 08/01/2005 03:34PM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > 1) Disable Java
    > 2) Get a Firewall - Disable incoming connections
    > 3) Run through multiple Proxies
    > 4) Change your Software (O.S.) reported MAC address everytime you boot
    > up
    > 5) Use Linux
    > 6) Update your Linux Distro
    > 7) HF and GL (have fun and good luck)
    >
    > Comment from carloselfaite
    > Date: 09/16/2005 04:39AM PDT
    > Comment
    >
    > I have an optical fiber connection *(600MB/s) in a server machine,if I
    > use proxys I would lose bandwidth?
    >
    > --
    > http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/cev.html
     
    , Oct 26, 2005
    #8
  9. Guest

    , Oct 26, 2005
    #9
  10. Guest

    , Oct 26, 2005
    #10
  11. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>Thank you, and thanks all, for your input.
    |>
    |>The suggestions that are listed are well thought of, but they touch on
    |>the surfing issue, that is, if you are on the web site of the Internet.
    |>
    |>However, if you are on the usenet/nntp/smtp/pop/imap site of the Net,
    |>there is no way to utilize any of the "proxy server" at all, because
    |>the connection is a direct connection : [user] -----> [mail/usenet
    |>server]
    |>
    |>Notice that there is NOTHING in between them, and therefore, the user's
    |>IP is exposed, in clear text. If someone tap in between the [user] and
    |>the [mail server], they can know who the originator, which server is
    |>being used, and the time stamp, et cetera.

    To toss an idea your way, not sure if it's possible any more; but I
    used to telenet into the local library, internet to another and use
    their modem to dial out to where I want'd to go.

    Not to hide my actions but to beat long distance charges. It's the
    modem call that losses your identity, but the Chinese regime... it's a
    hard nut to crack.

    |>Even if you employ tunneling tactic, the originating user and time
    |>stamp can still be obtained, and it won't take much to trace back to
    |>who originate the tunneling.
    |>
    |>This is exactly the tactic the Chinese regime is employing, to catch
    |>the dissidents.
    |>
    |>For those dissidents, they need something that can hide the originating
    |>IP, preferably from the [user] side, so that if anyone tapped in
    |>between the [user] and the [mail/nntp server], they would get a false
    |>IP, and that protects the [user].
    |>
    |>That is what is urgently needed.

    Check out http://www.freenetproject.org/, the problem here tho is who
    knows what your storing you your computer, could be worse than what
    your doing.

    Good luck.

    --
    http://d.web.umkc.edu/das920/chicks.html
    Link'd from
    http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1714951
     
    Trax, Oct 26, 2005
    #11
  12. Al Klein Guest

    On 25 Oct 2005 16:39:45 -0700, said in
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:

    >That is what is urgently needed.


    How possible something is has nothing to do with how badly it's
    needed. Email and news being what they are (TCP, not UDP), the
    sender's IP isn't hideable from someone determined to find it.

    A message smuggled out of the country in (or as part of) someone's
    body is still not traceable.
     
    Al Klein, Oct 26, 2005
    #12
  13. Guest

    Re: Privacy issue - how to spoof/hide IP when accessing email / usenetservers ?

    Oh, looks like maintenance is going on, you could check it on
    www.trighost.org/services.htm

    Greetz,

    Stingray

    wrote:
    > I am sorry but your site is inaccessible, both for www.trilightzone.org
    > and www.trilightzone.org/services.htm
    >
    > Mebbe my ISP has censored your site. But when I used a proxy to access
    > your site, I still got an error.
    >
    >
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>You may also use a ssh-tunnel service. You may want to check:
    >>www.trilightzone.org/services.htm
    >>
    >>Greetz,
    >>
    >>Stingray

    >
    >
     
    , Oct 26, 2005
    #13
  14. Al Klein Guest

    On 25 Oct 2005 17:16:37 -0700, said in
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:

    >I am sorry but your site is inaccessible, both for www.trilightzone.org
    >and www.trilightzone.org/services.htm


    >Mebbe my ISP has censored your site. But when I used a proxy to access
    >your site, I still got an error.


    My ISP doesn't block sites and I can't get to it either.
     
    Al Klein, Oct 26, 2005
    #14
  15. Guest

    -----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----
    Message-type: plaintext

    In <> wrote:
    >Hello all.
    >
    >Currently, if someone wants privacy online, they can use proxy servers
    >to spoof their originating IP. However, whenever they use their email
    >program or usenet reader to up/download their messages, their IP is out
    >in the open.
    >
    >I understand that VPN is an option for those who are security concious.
    >However, not everyone knows and/or can afford VPN.
    >
    >What I am asking is this - suppose I want to access and up/download
    >messages from a POP3 email server located in, let's say, China, and I
    >don't want the Chinese government to know where I am from, is there a
    >way for me to hide and/or spoof my originating IP ?


    If it is possible to connect to the pop3/smtp server in question by way of
    a non-standard port (i.e. NOT on 110/25), then you could look into using
    stunnel to route your connections through Tor (http://tor.eff.org)
    If you used a client like Jack B Nymble (latest Panta mod at
    http://panta-rhei.dyndns.org/downloads) or Quicksilver
    (http://quicksilvermail.net) those programs can connect using Tor and
    will spoof the HELO or EHLO exchange by sending 'nowhere.invalid' instead
    of your real domain.

    Another option is to use Anonymous Remailers (IF the other side can get away
    with having the software and using encryption that is)

    Freenet (http://freenetproject.org) is an option, but it's slower than email
    and has it's own issues not the least of which is it's legality in oppresive
    regimes. (but then, you're talking about getting around the govt, so illegality
    isn't nearly as important as not getting caught)

    Which brings me to concealment of activities and messages.

    I'll sum it up in one word: Truecrypt

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt/


    -----END TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----
     
    , Oct 26, 2005
    #15
  16. Guest

    Al Klein wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:00:05 -0700, Trax <>
    > said in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:
    >
    > >Looking for a site that carried Hide IP I came across this thread
    > >http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21041194.html

    >
    > Proxies only hide your IP from the site they connect you to - not to
    > the authorities.
    >
    > Changing your IP only guarantees one thing - that packets destined for
    > "you" (the changed IP) never get to 'you' (the real IP).
    >
    > It's like ordering things by mail and giving a fake address. What's
    > the point?



    If you turn the above scenario around, you may see the point I am
    trying to make.

    Mr. Activist, a dissident living in China, trying to get his message
    out via email. Almost every server inside China is hookup with sniffer,
    that means, everytime Mr. Activist sends out emails, they mebbe
    intercepted, and will be reported to the authority.

    Mr. Activist from China mebbe wanting to give Ms. Audience from outside
    China some inside info, but if his emails could be intercepted, there
    could be two possible outcomes:

    I. All Mr. Activist's emails never arrive at Ms. Audience's inbox. The
    Chinese regime intercepted and got rid of all Mr. Activist's email, and
    put a trace back to Mr. Activist's location and arrest Mr. Activist.

    II. Ms. Audience receives Mr. Activist's emails, and goes public with
    it. The Chinese authority got hold of the damning news, put a trace on
    the net, and got hold of Mr. Activist's IP (location) and proceed to
    arrest Mr. Activist.

    What is needed now is to find a way to enable Mr. Activist to fake his
    _originating_ IP, and if Mr. Activist can use different (fake) IP
    everytime he sends out messages, hopefully it wouldn't be so easy for
    the Chinese authority to trace back to the exact location of Mr.
    Activist's whereabout.

    Faking IP while surfing is not problem - there are plenty of anon proxy
    available. Encrypting the email message is no problem, there are plenty
    of encryption schemes and encryption softwares readily available.

    In countries such as the United States, where the authority must follow
    the law, and the law states that they can't hold people without damning
    evidence, it's easier for people to carry out whistle blowing
    activities.

    Not so in China. So long as the authority can trace back your
    originating IP, they can get you, and they don't need _any_ evidence as
    a reason to lock you up. An originating IP is more than enough to get
    somebody shot.

    So it's not a parcel undeliverable due to a fake address, but it's the
    other way around - the parcel can be delivered, because the receiver's
    address is real.

    It's just that we need to protect the sender by faking his originating
    address.
     
    , Oct 26, 2005
    #16
  17. -Andy- Guest

    LOVES spam sent to <>:

    > Al Klein wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:00:05 -0700, Trax <>
    >> said in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:
    >>
    >>> Looking for a site that carried Hide IP I came across this thread
    >>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21041194.html

    >>
    >> Proxies only hide your IP from the site they connect you to - not to
    >> the authorities.
    >>
    >> Changing your IP only guarantees one thing - that packets destined
    >> for "you" (the changed IP) never get to 'you' (the real IP).
    >>
    >> It's like ordering things by mail and giving a fake address. What's
    >> the point?

    >
    >
    > If you turn the above scenario around, you may see the point I am
    > trying to make.
    >
    > Mr. Activist, a dissident living in China, trying to get his message
    > out via email. Almost every server inside China is hookup with
    > sniffer, that means, everytime Mr. Activist sends out emails, they
    > mebbe intercepted, and will be reported to the authority.
    >
    > Mr. Activist from China mebbe wanting to give Ms. Audience from
    > outside China some inside info, but if his emails could be
    > intercepted, there could be two possible outcomes:
    >
    > I. All Mr. Activist's emails never arrive at Ms. Audience's inbox. The
    > Chinese regime intercepted and got rid of all Mr. Activist's email,
    > and put a trace back to Mr. Activist's location and arrest Mr.
    > Activist.
    >
    > II. Ms. Audience receives Mr. Activist's emails, and goes public with
    > it. The Chinese authority got hold of the damning news, put a trace on
    > the net, and got hold of Mr. Activist's IP (location) and proceed to
    > arrest Mr. Activist.
    >
    > What is needed now is to find a way to enable Mr. Activist to fake his
    > _originating_ IP, and if Mr. Activist can use different (fake) IP
    > everytime he sends out messages, hopefully it wouldn't be so easy for
    > the Chinese authority to trace back to the exact location of Mr.
    > Activist's whereabout.
    >
    > Faking IP while surfing is not problem - there are plenty of anon
    > proxy available. Encrypting the email message is no problem, there
    > are plenty of encryption schemes and encryption softwares readily
    > available.
    >
    > In countries such as the United States, where the authority must
    > follow the law, and the law states that they can't hold people
    > without damning evidence, it's easier for people to carry out whistle
    > blowing activities.
    >
    > Not so in China. So long as the authority can trace back your
    > originating IP, they can get you, and they don't need _any_ evidence
    > as a reason to lock you up. An originating IP is more than enough to
    > get somebody shot.
    >
    > So it's not a parcel undeliverable due to a fake address, but it's the
    > other way around - the parcel can be delivered, because the receiver's
    > address is real.
    >
    > It's just that we need to protect the sender by faking his originating
    > address.


    Don't use your connection.
    You dont have an Internet Cafe near by?
     
    -Andy-, Oct 26, 2005
    #17
  18. Guest

    -Andy- wrote:

    > Don't use your connection.
    > You dont have an Internet Cafe near by?


    That's what many of the Chinese dissidents thought too, until they got
    caught.
     
    , Oct 26, 2005
    #18
  19. wrote:
    > Al Klein wrote:
    > > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:00:05 -0700, Trax <>
    > > said in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:
    > >
    > > >Looking for a site that carried Hide IP I came across this thread
    > > >http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21041194.html

    > >
    > > Proxies only hide your IP from the site they connect you to - not to
    > > the authorities.
    > >
    > > Changing your IP only guarantees one thing - that packets destined for
    > > "you" (the changed IP) never get to 'you' (the real IP).
    > >
    > > It's like ordering things by mail and giving a fake address. What's
    > > the point?

    >
    >
    > If you turn the above scenario around, you may see the point I am
    > trying to make.
    >
    > Mr. Activist, a dissident living in China, trying to get his message
    > out via email. Almost every server inside China is hookup with sniffer,
    > that means, everytime Mr. Activist sends out emails, they mebbe
    > intercepted, and will be reported to the authority.
    >
    > Mr. Activist from China mebbe wanting to give Ms. Audience from outside
    > China some inside info, but if his emails could be intercepted, there
    > could be two possible outcomes:
    >
    > I. All Mr. Activist's emails never arrive at Ms. Audience's inbox. The
    > Chinese regime intercepted and got rid of all Mr. Activist's email, and
    > put a trace back to Mr. Activist's location and arrest Mr. Activist.
    >
    > II. Ms. Audience receives Mr. Activist's emails, and goes public with
    > it. The Chinese authority got hold of the damning news, put a trace on
    > the net, and got hold of Mr. Activist's IP (location) and proceed to
    > arrest Mr. Activist.
    >
    > What is needed now is to find a way to enable Mr. Activist to fake his
    > _originating_ IP, and if Mr. Activist can use different (fake) IP
    > everytime he sends out messages, hopefully it wouldn't be so easy for
    > the Chinese authority to trace back to the exact location of Mr.
    > Activist's whereabout.
    >
    > Faking IP while surfing is not problem - there are plenty of anon proxy
    > available. Encrypting the email message is no problem, there are plenty
    > of encryption schemes and encryption softwares readily available.


    What makes you think that anon web proxies are not a problem? Isn't
    the Chinese governement monitoring *all* activity? I.e. the very fact
    that Mr. Activist uses a proxy makes him a suspect and a candidate for
    further, more detailed, monitoring/tracking. FYI, even 'civilized'
    countries (like parts of Europe and my country (The Netherlands)) are
    already doing this monitoring or are planning to do it, not for
    (China-style) repression but as a so-called tool in the 'war' against
    terrorism.

    Back to your case: *If* anon web proxies are not a problem (which, as
    I said, I strongly doubt), you might want to look if Mr. Activist can
    use them to access *web*-based (i.e. non-SMTP) mail services. You could
    try this for yourself with your favorite anon web proxy and a web-based
    mail service like Yahoo.

    Another point: Now you concentrate on *sending* *mail*, but earlier
    you also mentioned News/Usenet and, at least implicitly, not only
    sending (i.e. posting in the News/Usenet case), but also reading. Please
    indicate what is important/needed (i.e. sending/posting or reading or
    both, and mail or News/Usenet or both), because solving one problem is
    already difficult enough.

    > In countries such as the United States, where the authority must follow
    > the law, and the law states that they can't hold people without damning
    > evidence, it's easier for people to carry out whistle blowing
    > activities.
    >
    > Not so in China. So long as the authority can trace back your
    > originating IP, they can get you, and they don't need _any_ evidence as
    > a reason to lock you up. An originating IP is more than enough to get
    > somebody shot.
    >
    > So it's not a parcel undeliverable due to a fake address, but it's the
    > other way around - the parcel can be delivered, because the receiver's
    > address is real.
    >
    > It's just that we need to protect the sender by faking his originating
    > address.
     
    Frank Slootweg, Oct 26, 2005
    #19
  20. -Andy- Guest

    LOVES spam sent to <>:

    > -Andy- wrote:
    >
    >> Don't use your connection.
    >> You dont have an Internet Cafe near by?

    >
    > That's what many of the Chinese dissidents thought too, until they got
    > caught.


    LOL, nice troll
     
    -Andy-, Oct 26, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paolo Bresi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    660
    Walter Roberson
    Apr 4, 2005
  2. MjrTom
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    651
    Toolman Tim
    May 1, 2004
  3. noah sark

    usenet email privacy question

    noah sark, Aug 15, 2003, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    709
    Jim Watt
    Aug 17, 2003
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZG91Z2hib3kzMQ==?=

    Implementing dhcp servers and dns servers

    =?Utf-8?B?ZG91Z2hib3kzMQ==?=, Jun 16, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    3,186
    Guest
    Jun 24, 2006
  5. Au79
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    751
Loading...

Share This Page