Prison for Virus makers

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Slarty Bartfast, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. This is better than making them national hero's and rewarding them with good
    IT jobs like they do in 3rd World Countries.

    BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- A German teenager who created the Sasser worm that
    disrupted computers around the world in May has been charged with computer
    sabotage, prosecutors said.

    Sven Jaschan, 18, was arrested after telling officials his original
    intention was to create a virus, "Netsky A," that would combat the "Mydoom"
    and "Bagle" viruses, removing them from infected computers.

    He developed several versions of the Netsky virus and, after modifying it,
    created Sasser, which raced around the world exploiting a flaw in Microsoft
    Corp.'s Windows operating system.

    Computer sabotage carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Slarty Bartfast

    Moscow_Bob Guest

    Nah.. sending them to prison not the way to go. Give them
    a free couple of years living at the expense of the
    state, the chance to hone their skills with free courses
    and diploma's...

    No, cut their hands off I reckon... see how many viruses
    they create then!

    Moscow_Bob, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Slarty Bartfast

    RH Guest

    Isn't it sad that this individual has the knowledge and
    wherewithall to be able to create this destructive thing
    when he could just as easily create something GOOD that
    would make him wealthy to boot? Just my .02

    RH, Sep 10, 2004
  4. >Isn't it sad that this individual has the knowledge and
    >wherewithall to be able to create this destructive thing
    >when he could just as easily create something GOOD that
    >would make him wealthy to boot? Just my .02

    no, what is really sad (or rather scary) is that so many companies got
    caught by the virus in the first place.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Slarty Bartfast

    kpg Guest

    "RH" <> wrote in message

    > Isn't it sad that this individual has the knowledge and
    > wherewithall to be able to create this destructive thing
    > when he could just as easily create something GOOD that
    > would make him wealthy to boot?

    Yes. I always wondered about that. Of course, anyone can
    download "virus-maker" software and create some morph of
    an existing virus or worm, but these would be fairly ineffective
    (yeah right) because they are easily defended against.

    It's the guys that know how to exploit buffer overruns and other
    obscure lowlevel security flaws. Hey , loser - come to America
    and get rich!

    Maybe it's like what happens when firemen get bored. (They start
    fires.) What if there were some MS programmers with office space
    syndrome?

    And while were into conspiracy theories, I think the anti-virus companies
    write the virus to stay in business. Anyway, that's what I would do.

    --
    kp "wish I were an ATM programmer" g A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    In theory practice is the same as theory.

    kpg, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Slarty Bartfast

    Mitch S. Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > "RH" <> wrote in message

    > And while were into conspiracy theories, I think the anti-virus companies
    > write the virus to stay in business. Anyway, that's what I would do.

    Of course they do. How else can you have antivirus definitions before the
    virus is released. Hmm.

    --
    Mitch S.
    MCSA, CCNA, A+, Net+