    Anyone know what this is - Prismsvr.exe
    It's an active process in Windows Task Manager in my XP Pro Sp1
    machine, doing what ?

    Pon, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Pon

    PseUDO Guest

    Pon wrote:
    > Anyone know what this is - Prismsvr.exe
    > It's an active process in Windows Task Manager in my XP Pro Sp1
    > machine, doing what ?

    Do you have any USB adaptors connected to your pc.??

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Pon

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:30:33 +1200, Pon <> wrote:

    >Anyone know what this is - Prismsvr.exe
    >It's an active process in Windows Task Manager in my XP Pro Sp1
    >machine, doing what ?

    Search for the file on your computer, then right click it and choose properties.

    Click the version tab and it should tell you who made it and what it is. You
    may even know yourself by what folder it's found in.

    Craig Shore, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Pon

    Steve Guest

    Pon wrote:
    > Anyone know what this is - Prismsvr.exe
    > It's an active process in Windows Task Manager in my XP Pro Sp1
    > machine, doing what ?

    did a quick google. Found an article that mentioned that removing
    prismsvr.exe from the startup ( found in the registry at
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ) got their wireless
    network card working fine, and removed an 85% load on the cpu, under XP
    SP1 and 2.

    I only mention this as it was written in Dutch, and there's a fair
    chance that you don't spraak the taal :)

    I'd backup the registry, delete the offending line, then see what, if
    anything, doesn't work!

    Steve

    Steve, Sep 15, 2004
  5. Steve wrote:
    > did a quick google. Found an article that mentioned that removing
    > prismsvr.exe from the startup ( found in the registry at
    > HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ) got their wireless
    > network card working fine, and removed an 85% load on the cpu, under XP
    > SP1 and 2.

    85%... holy shit.
    you wonder what else these people have done to their machines to get
    them messed up.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2004
  6. Pon

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:55:03 +1200, Steve <> wrote:

    >Pon wrote:
    >> Anyone know what this is - Prismsvr.exe
    >> It's an active process in Windows Task Manager in my XP Pro Sp1
    >> machine, doing what ?

    >did a quick google. Found an article that mentioned that removing
    >prismsvr.exe from the startup ( found in the registry at
    >HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ) got their wireless
    >network card working fine, and removed an 85% load on the cpu, under XP
    >SP1 and 2.
    >
    >I only mention this as it was written in Dutch, and there's a fair
    >chance that you don't spraak the taal :)
    >
    >I'd backup the registry, delete the offending line, then see what, if
    >anything, doesn't work!

    A nice freebie app for checking what's in your various startup locations is
    Startup Control Panel from http://www.mlin.net/
    It has checkboxes to allow you to select or deselect items on the startup
    list so that if you stop the wrong thing from autostarting you can change it
    back again.
    _
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 16, 2004
  7. Pon

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:30:33 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:55:03 +1200, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Pon wrote:
    >>> Anyone know what this is - Prismsvr.exe
    >>> It's an active process in Windows Task Manager in my XP Pro Sp1
    >>> machine, doing what ?

    >>did a quick google. Found an article that mentioned that removing
    >>prismsvr.exe from the startup ( found in the registry at
    >>HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ) got their wireless
    >>network card working fine, and removed an 85% load on the cpu, under XP
    >>SP1 and 2.
    >>
    >>I only mention this as it was written in Dutch, and there's a fair
    >>chance that you don't spraak the taal :)
    >>
    >>I'd backup the registry, delete the offending line, then see what, if
    >>anything, doesn't work!

    >A nice freebie app for checking what's in your various startup locations is
    >Startup Control Panel from http://www.mlin.net/
    >It has checkboxes to allow you to select or deselect items on the startup
    >list so that if you stop the wrong thing from autostarting you can change it
    >back again.

    And also good is Startup Monitor. It activley monitors for anything that tries
    to install itself to start at bootup and asks for your permission. That way you
    can stop the crap getting in there in the first place :)

    Craig Shore, Sep 16, 2004