    x64 to share printers before, so I may be missing something obvious.

    Target/new server is running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 (x64) if that
    makes any difference. All clients are XP Pro SP2 (32-bit).
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 11, 2009

  2. Hello Lanwench [MVP - Exchange],

    Check the answers from Alan Morris about adding the 64bit version drivers
    to the print server and then use printbrmui.exe from Vista to backup and
    restore.

    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t544397-print-server-migration-32bit-to-64bit.html

    http://www.velocityreviews.com/foru...igrate-printers-from-32bit-to-64bit-w2k3.html

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], May 11, 2009

  3. Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 12, 2009
  4. Printmig.exe will work if the x64 print drivers using the same name are
    preinstalled on the server before the restore. Any drivers that do not have
    a matched name x64 print driver cannot be restored.

    You can work around this by changing the driver in use by the Win2k Server
    to another driver that does have a matching 64 print driver, then backing up
    and restoring.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 12, 2009
  5. Alan Morris [MSFT] <> wrote:
    > Printmig.exe will work if the x64 print drivers using the same name
    > are preinstalled on the server before the restore. Any drivers that
    > do not have a matched name x64 print driver cannot be restored.
    >
    > You can work around this by changing the driver in use by the Win2k
    > Server to another driver that does have a matching 64 print driver,
    > then backing up and restoring.

    Thanks, Alan. The drivers for x64 were not the same name (there was no way
    around that; they were the only current drivers for that OS available). So I
    wound up reinstalling all the printers manually on the 2003 x64 box and am
    in good shape now - there weren't that many.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 24, 2009