    simple 2 megapixel digital camera.

    Any thoughts on what could be happening?

    Thanks!

    Doug Welzel, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Doug Welzel

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    If you mean that you scanned 5x5 prints, then the grain is from the print.
    High quality scans come from scanning slides or negatives, not prints.

    Mick Ruthven, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Doug Welzel

    LauraK Guest

    >I have a set of photos that were scanned at very high resolution (2400
    >dpi, 5x5ish size). When I try to print them using Photoshop using an
    >Epson 890 the resulting image is quite grainy. I do no expand or
    >shrink the image, just try to print as is.
    >
    >Oddly, these images come out much more grainey than the ones from my
    >simple 2 megapixel digital camera.

    If you're scanning prints, you'll get better results at a much lower resolution
    -- 300 ppi.

    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    web design, print design, photography

    LauraK, Dec 24, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    (Doug Welzel) wrote:

    > I have a set of photos that were scanned at very high resolution (2400
    > dpi, 5x5ish size). When I try to print them using Photoshop using an
    > Epson 890 the resulting image is quite grainy. I do no expand or
    > shrink the image, just try to print as is.
    >
    > Oddly, these images come out much more grainey than the ones from my
    > simple 2 megapixel digital camera.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what could be happening?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You have accurate reproductions of grainy photos. Having the negatives
    scanned with a proper film scanner will produce better results. Using a
    camera with a larger film format produces the best results.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 24, 2003