Printing to LAN Printer whilst connected to VPN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andy, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi,
    Let me explain the problem I have and the setup I am trying to use,
    I have a wireless adsl router with firewall which also has a print
    server in built. I have a laptop connected to it via wireless. All
    works fine until I activate Cisco secure VPN Client software on the
    laptop. I can then not print. The ip of the laptop and adsl box is
    192.168.x.x, when the vpn is activated on the laptop it is assigned
    87.1.x.x and then I cannot ping the adsl box and hence cannot print.

    Can anyone provide a solution as how to print wirelessly to the
    printer when the VPN is active? Any way of allowing LAN 192.168.x.x
    traffic? For info, the VPN I am connecting to is configured on a PIX
    rather than a concentrator and I have tried using the most up to date
    Cisco secure VPN and ticking the allow LAN box.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Many Thanks.

    Andy, Aug 18, 2004

  2. (Andy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    > Let me explain the problem I have and the setup I am trying to use,
    > I have a wireless adsl router with firewall which also has a print
    > server in built. I have a laptop connected to it via wireless. All
    > works fine until I activate Cisco secure VPN Client software on the
    > laptop. I can then not print. The ip of the laptop and adsl box is
    > 192.168.x.x, when the vpn is activated on the laptop it is assigned
    > 87.1.x.x and then I cannot ping the adsl box and hence cannot print.
    >
    > Can anyone provide a solution as how to print wirelessly to the
    > printer when the VPN is active? Any way of allowing LAN 192.168.x.x
    > traffic? For info, the VPN I am connecting to is configured on a PIX
    > rather than a concentrator and I have tried using the most up to date
    > Cisco secure VPN and ticking the allow LAN box.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks.

    It sounds as though it could possibly be due to split tunneling not
    being enabled. If split tunneling isn't enabled in the PIX config,
    everything from the laptop will try and use the VPN, which could be
    causing your printing problems. The only thing is of course, that
    split tunneling is something of a security risk and many network
    administrators won't allow it in the first place.

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Andy

    Bob Fisk Guest

    Hi Andy,

    The way to get round this is to modify your PC's routing table. You will
    find that when you activate the VPN it re-writes all routes out towards the
    VPN interface. You will probably find your route (192.168) has two entries
    both with different metrics. The VPN one being preferred.

    What I do is run a little DOS batch file just to delete the wanted route
    from the table and re-insert it to the original interface. Voila, you should
    be able to print again.
    You obviously will need to run it every time you launch the VPN as it will
    overwrite it.
    This saves having to setup split tunneling.

    Good luck
    Bob

    Bob Fisk, Aug 23, 2004