    grateful!
    --
    Baffled

    Mary, Apr 30, 2009

  2. Mary

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    It would be helpful if you would describe Network wise what is all the
    hardware involved and how it is connected.
    As far as Network Printers go, the Printer's software (that came with the
    printer) has to be installed on each computer (choosing the Network options)
    that is going to use the printer.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Apr 30, 2009

  3. Mary

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 30, 12:26 pm, "Frankster" <> wrote:
    > "Frankster" <> wrote in message

    > > "Mary" <> wrote in message
    > >>I am using windows xp and was connected remotely to a printer fax machine.
    > >> had to purchase a new router. After setting up the new netgear router I
    > >> cannot print. The printer is connected to a dlynk router. I am not sure
    > >> what
    > >> adjustments I need to make for the connection to work. I am not very
    > >> computer
    > >> savvy so if someone could help me in easy to understand terms I would be
    > >> very
    > >> grateful!
    > >> --
    > >> Baffled

    > > If your printer is connected to your router that means that it is a
    > > network printer (with an Ethernet cable connection). As such, you must
    > > install it using the IP address. Apparently when you changed routers you
    > > alienated your printer because it is now probably on a different subnet
    > > (i.e. the address of your router may be 192.168.0.1 and the address of
    > > your printer may be 192.168.1.100 - with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

    > > If you don't understand any of this, you'll probably need to call a local
    > > consultant to install it for you. Or, more specifically, change the
    > > printer to a static IP that is on your subnet and also adjust your router
    > > to make sure it does not automatically pass out the IP you gave the
    > > printer.

    > > -Frank

    > Upon further reflction... you have a Netgear router and also a Dlink router?
    > Why two routers? Why is the printer connected to a different router than
    > your PC? Is it a wireless connection or an Ethernet connection?
    >
    > More details.
    >
    > -Frank

    Two routers, one at "each" remote "office." Each one are used to
    connect to the Internet and the new remote Netgear needs to have the
    "network" printer protocol set up on the "port forwarding" section.

    smlunatick, Apr 30, 2009